Where's Nefaro when you need him?

Started by JudgeDredd, August 19, 2013, 12:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JudgeDredd

It was you Nefaro that was looking out for Franchise Hockey Manager wasn't it? Did you get it? Is it any good?

Anyone else have it or thoughts on it?

I don't know a great deal about Hockey - but then I don't know a great deal about Baseball and it didn't stop me enjoying that game.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper

JD,

I have owned it since the original beta release since I am a pretty big hockey fan and was really excited about it.  Ultimately, I think it will be a good hockey game, just like OOTP is for baseball, but I think it has a ways to go.  With only a couple weeks until release, still seems a lot of issues existing and in some areas kind of a bland experience like when a game is actually watched.  To be honest, even though I have owned it for months, rarely even play it anymore.  They have also said they are making some major AI changes, which is kind of scary with only a few weeks away.  Sadly I think this initial release is not going to be perceived as good, but I do expect with time it will become a great product.

JudgeDredd

Thanks Grim - that's a pretty "grim"  :D  forecast for it's first release
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 19, 2013, 12:47:36 PM
Thanks Grim - that's a pretty "grim"  :D  forecast for it's first release

I wish my forecast wasn't grim to be honest....when they first announced the game, it was supposed to be released last xmas.  Then it was delayed until 1st qtr 2013.  Then when it got close to that date, it was delayed until September 3rd (but they offered paid beta instead), which is now the official release date.  Seems like they are committed to releasing the game in September, regardless of the remaining issues.  A lot of people cutting them slack because it is their first version, but I think they may be under estimating the fan reaction when a buggy release happens.  Sure, all the life long OOTP diehards will likely give them a break, but people outside that community will complain in my opinion.  I hate to see it turn in to some of the recent paradox releases,  such as SOTS.

I don't regret buying it yet and hopefully throughout the year they will continue to improve.....if they stop making adjustments to the current game and start focusing on next year's version, then that is a different story....I won't be a happy customer:)

We'll soon see....

JudgeDredd

Thx GR.
I would personally love an American Football one.

I'll at leazt wait to release for some more impressions
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Nefaro

#5
Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 19, 2013, 02:30:26 PM
Thx GR.
I would personally love an American Football one.

I'll at leazt wait to release for some more impressions

Yeah, FHM is pretty thin on features and definitely has a ways to go to be finished.  Aside from internal mechanics and such, the UI is still annoyingly basic and inconvenient.  I fear the game will be pretty bare bones at initial release, and will need more love afterward to add UI features and further tweaks.

I suppose it's a foot in the door and hopefully they can start making big leaps every year now that they will have a base to work with.

As for American Football, the developer of Front Office Football '07 is planning on making a new one this year.  Or.. I should say.. updating the game engine & content of the '07 version.  While there looks to be some good adjustments planned, I have doubts as to how much will get accomplished by the planned release date (not too far away).  One of the big things I wanted to see was the riddance of the percentage-based play calling tables for something different.  Those damn percentage tables were just confusing and immersion-breaking, not to mention easily exploitable and you'd see some ridiculous formation & play-calling mixtures from the AI.  I believe he mentioned that he was gonna try to clean it up a bit but I fully expect the same over-burdensome system to be there.  He also mentioned that he, "isn't a good GUI programmer" and additions there would be minimal, although he didn't enjoy hearing about causing people carpal tunnel pain.  ;D   Good news is the AI is planned to be worked on and some much-needed mechanics fixing (Wide Receiver uberness being one of them) so improvements = better than the nothing we've had for years amiright?  ;)

One thing I loved about FOF's interface, however, is that it's colors change to match your team's colors.  Perhaps a small insignificant detail on the whole, but much more immersive for me.  Add to that an absolutely excellent set of "metallic" logos by a certain modder and it does look exceptionally NFL team themed for whomever you're playing.  I think this is something sorely missing from the two other (generally unfinished) American Football management games being made.

Still, FOF is the most detailed one out there for American Football so I'll be snatching it up.  Unfortunately, it's not as easy to learn as other more polished products from bigger companies (like Football Manager) so someone new to the sport, or even the game itself, has a learning curve to climb.

There's a thread here, somewhere, about the announcement of a new FOF..

Grim.Reaper

Here is the thread for FOF that is coming out in the next few months...although I will pick it up, not sure how different it really will be.....but at least it will have current rosters:)

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=6827.0

JudgeDredd

I don't know if I actually bought Front Office Football or just tried the demo - but there were two things I didn't like about it - no proper team names and the interface was pretty horrible although I'll grant you it may be something that grows on you.

But the no proper team names REALLY irks me. I know it must cost a fortune to get those names in your game - but I can't play a game as the Green Bay Green Waves when I want to play as the Green Bay Packers!
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 20, 2013, 12:58:16 AM
I don't know if I actually bought Front Office Football or just tried the demo - but there were two things I didn't like about it - no proper team names and the interface was pretty horrible although I'll grant you it may be something that grows on you.

But the no proper team names REALLY irks me. I know it must cost a fortune to get those names in your game - but I can't play a game as the Green Bay Green Waves when I want to play as the Green Bay Packers!

The game had an option were you could rename the team nicknames so you had the real ones.  Just had to change once and you were good to go after that.  Think even some folks posted a modded file with it already done too.  As for the ui, doesn't sou d like it will change much with the new version.

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 20, 2013, 12:58:16 AM
I don't know if I actually bought Front Office Football or just tried the demo - but there were two things I didn't like about it - no proper team names and the interface was pretty horrible although I'll grant you it may be something that grows on you.

But the no proper team names REALLY irks me. I know it must cost a fortune to get those names in your game - but I can't play a game as the Green Bay Green Waves when I want to play as the Green Bay Packers!

You had to open the Editor window and manually type in the new team names.  They would then stay from game to game.  Pain in the ass, yes, but all the football games do it this way to avoid the insane amounts of cash that the NFL would demand for licensing.  Then you gotta go download a proper logo pack, too. 

You're right about the UI - it's painful.  I hope it gets some improvement in the upcoming version but I won't hold my breath too much.