Main Menu

Guild Wars 2

Started by Huw the Poo, September 01, 2012, 07:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

bob48

Quote from: undercovergeek on February 19, 2013, 03:51:12 AM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on February 19, 2013, 03:35:15 AM
Oh god I've been bitten again.  What is it about this damn game?  I even have altaholicitis; nothing wrong with the ranger I was levelling, but I have a sudden urge to start levelling a mesmer.

Here we go again!

lol - its only a good thing though

I thought he was cured.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Huw the Poo

Quote from: bob48 on February 19, 2013, 02:12:16 PM
I thought he was cured.

So did I!  I've been merrily plugging away at a load of other games lately, then The Urge overcame me again. :(

Quote from: SgtRock on February 19, 2013, 01:26:13 PM
I've have never felt the need to buy anything extra (gems/gold).

I'd be quite happy to buy the cosmetic armour skins if they were permanent and didn't require transmutation stones any time you change armour pieces.  I'd also be quite happy to buy extra character slots if they didn't cost £8.50 for one!!!

Tpek

Quote from: SgtRock on February 19, 2013, 02:10:49 PM
Grogheads guild?

What server?

You can LoL at me, but I don't remember :P

Anyway, I'm Tpek.1809 there

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Tpek on February 19, 2013, 04:58:44 PM
Quote from: SgtRock on February 19, 2013, 02:10:49 PM
Grogheads guild?

What server?
You can LoL at me, but I don't remember :P

It doesn't really matter as long as you're in the same region; you'll still contribute to the same influence pool.  Sadly, since I'm on a European server I couldn't contribute.  Any influence I accrued went into a separate pool for the European "chapter" of the guild.  Pretty sucky, that.

Huw the Poo

GW2 is free this weekend.  Give it a try!

Nefaro

Quote from: Huw the Poo on August 23, 2013, 04:19:21 PM
GW2 is free this weekend.  Give it a try!

I really intend on playing it some more, but my MMO mood just hasn't struck in a long time.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Nefaro on August 23, 2013, 07:18:45 PM
I really intend on playing it some more, but my MMO mood just hasn't struck in a long time.

I haven't played it since Rift went free to play, but I will check in at some point.  Gotta get at least one character to 80!

Bison

I attempted to play it a few weeks back but it just didn't hold my interest.

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on August 23, 2013, 08:19:58 PM
I attempted to play it a few weeks back but it just didn't hold my interest.

The major comlaint I've always had with the GW series is the art style.  I see similarities between it and Japanese anime or Final Fantasy stuff, which always annoys the piss out of me.  It's not near as bad but some of it's graphical quirkiness definitely has a basis in those.

Huw the Poo

#234
My only complaint is the horribly underwhelming skill system.  Most skills do something crap like blinding your enemy for two seconds and are on a 30 second cooldown.  Boring.

Edit: I should add that that is really my only complaint.  I still think that GW2 is an extremely good game.

SgtRock

If anyone needs help getting their character to level 80 on North American server, PM me on what server/time zone so we can team up.





Nefaro

Quote from: Huw the Poo on August 24, 2013, 08:19:23 AM
My only complaint is the horribly underwhelming skill system.  Most skills do something crap like blinding your enemy for two seconds and are on a 30 second cooldown.  Boring.

Edit: I should add that that is really my only complaint.  I still think that GW2 is an extremely good game.

Sounds like the CC debuffs were made specifically for PvP. 

Most MMOs have such effects greatly reduced against other plays, but a higher default value against PvE mobs (and some damn immunity on PvE bosses).  So it seemed like they just went the lazy route and left it at the lowest common denominator.

The character customization is also a bit lacking, primarily regarding skills of course.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Nefaro on August 24, 2013, 04:18:11 PM
Sounds like the CC debuffs were made specifically for PvP. 

Yep, that's precisely the problem.  So many of the skills were clearly designed with PvP in mind.  A two-second blind is really useful against a Human player spamming abilities, but almost completely worthless against a PvE mob who only attacks every 2-3 seconds anyway.  I mean, a whole skill goes on 30 second cooldown just to stop a single mob from attacking once?!  Whatever the opposite of 'enthralling' is...yeah.

republic

Am I too late to get it on this game?  I've thought about it for awhile...but never have pulled the trigger.

SgtRock

Quote from: republic on December 05, 2013, 07:46:53 PM
Am I too late to get it on this game?  I've thought about it for awhile...but never have pulled the trigger.

Still a great game and seems to be going strong. I'm sure they'll have another free weekend and sale for Christmas, just make sure you pick a server with some people you know, there are some low population servers. You really want a high population server for group events and for World vs World.

I've just started playing again myself, if anyone wants to get together let me know (guesting to other servers is easy).


Some Great GW2 links

http://dulfy.net/
Site that has guides and keeps you update on the latest content and changes.

http://us.gw2stuff.com/en/events/ehmry-bay
World Bosses and temple events

http://www.gw2db.com/recipes/huntsman?cookieTest=1&page=10
Crafting Guides

http://gw2nodes.com/index.php
http://www.orrmaps.com/server/ehmry_bay

Tier 5 & 6 resources locations (they change on every server reset).