Need an American Football game....latest version of Second and Ten released.

Started by Grim.Reaper, September 20, 2013, 07:04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Grim.Reaper

I know there have been some discussions around here about American football games, Second and Ten version 10 was just released today.  It received a significant overhaul from a look and feel perspective.  The game mechanics are similar but much better looking and easier to play in my opinion than prior versions.  Has a lot of graphic mods that gives it a nice immersion factor with fields, uniforms, logos, helmets, etc.

This is a replay type of game, meaning there is no career aspect to it.  You replay a season, not build a team year over year.  Its competition would be more along the lines of stratomatic and actionpc versus front office football, football mogul,  and pro simulator. 

Here is a link to the site with a lot of pictures....if your interested in American football and don't have to have a career mode, I highly suggest you give it a try.  It comes with a free 3-day demo, so nothing to lose.  What's really great about it is all the pro seasons and available college seasons (minus the 2012 season) is free and included with the base game which is $49 if buying new.  With other games, you typically have to buy each season separately, which makes this a great bargain in my mind.  If you purchased the prior version after feb 2012, you actually get this upgrade free.  If you purchased a prior version before then, it costs $39.

http://www.secondandten.com/

Steelgrave

Anyone played Second and Ten before? I just bought Football Mogul 2014 and it was a complete waste of money!

Bison

I haven't played it, but I must admit that it looks like an intriguing football text sim.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Steelgrave on September 20, 2013, 10:55:03 PM
Anyone played Second and Ten before? I just bought Football Mogul 2014 and it was a complete waste of money!

Yes...but is really not a competitor to Mogul.....mogul is career based, SAT is season based.  I personally enjoy it and has all the features you would want.....stats, highlights of key accomplishments, tons of seasons included, cool simulcast feature, etc.  It doesn't have as extensive play calling as ActionPC, but I kind of like it that way.  There is a 3-day full demo available, I recommend downloading and kicking the tires.

If you have specific questions, let me know.

Steelgrave


Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Steelgrave on September 20, 2013, 11:57:31 PM
Cool, thank you. I'm gonna download the demo and give it a twirl.

Download the graphics with it too....makes it much more immersive.

Nefaro

My sports manager games gotta have a Career mode that lasts over long years.  Love the Manager side of them - building teams within a budget and all that, over a long period of time.  It's the only reason I bother playing them - coaching a historic season just isn't as appealing.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot of recent football ones out there.  Football Mogul '14 just released not long ago, but there doesn't look to be hardly anything new in this one, and it desperately needs some filling out.  Especially the off-season stuff (Free Agency mechanics, better contract negotiation, etc).  I keep buying the thing, hoping that maybe next year some of this will get done, but I'm beginning to doubt so I've not picked it up yet.

Supposedly Solecismic is coming out with a new Front Office Football, but I haven't really seen much talk about it over at the fan forum other than some random speculation.  Considering the time frame until the target release date, it'll also probably only be some internal tweaking of the sim engine.  Still.. that is the most detailed one of the bunch when it comes to a Career Mode so I'll be having it.

Grim.Reaper

I use to feel the same way....but I think there is a place for quick season replays.  They tend to do a better job in actually coaching a game, which is the main point of these games, versus building a team.  I enjoy them both.

CptHowdy

Quote from: Steelgrave on September 20, 2013, 10:55:03 PM
Anyone played Second and Ten before? I just bought Football Mogul 2014 and it was a complete waste of money!

I have his pro and college version. I also have his soccer game. I believe all of the games are based off of boardgames as well. the AI will give you a great game and beat you a lot unless you pick a powerhouse team like the 99 rams, 86 bears, 89 49ers etc... great way to revisit the glory days of your favorite franchise if they have any!! and with the encyclopedia keeping track of stats you could say play the cowboys from the 90's to 2000's and see if you can get emmitt to break the all-time leading rusher record. also can play a human opponent, they are always holding tournaments and have leagues.

Grim.Reaper

Some in screen pictures for those interested....sorry if pictures too big, best I could do:)







JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 21, 2013, 03:48:35 PM
That looks pretty professional

If you ever saw the prior version, in my opinion this is leaps and bounds better.....the core game mechanics are roughly the same, but visually and functionally a ton better.


GJK

I grabbed the 3-day demo last night and tried it out.  After downloading the program itself and about a dozen other "packs" (images for stadiums, players, ref's, fans and season schedules) I found that it was a bit buggy.  A number of times, I couldn't click out of the screen that I was on.  This may be due to my lack of knowledge of the interface, but I was playing a game and had just received the kick.  I went to find the offense screen but could not locate how to pick my offensive plays.  Next thing I know, the computer has the ball on my 40yd line.  <shrug>.  Let's see,  I loaded the season files for college and NFL but I can only get it to see the college seasons.  Once, I could only exit the game with the three finger salute; the "X" for the app window did nothing.  That is all fairly minor stuff, aside from not being able to play the NFL seasons, but probably something I need to do.  The bottom line in my review however was that it was just plain boring.  Take that with a grain because as much as I love baseball, I cannot get into text based baseball sims either.  In this game, you have maybe a dozen plays for offense and few less for defense.  There's some packages that you can run, but in essence, you click once or twice and read the text.  Click to pick, read the text, hope you get a first down.  This just did not hold my attention for long at all (half way into the first quarter).  Just my $.02 on it.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

JudgeDredd

Quote...and about a dozen other "packs" (images for stadiums, players, ref's, fans and season schedules)...
I can never be bothered with that. I want my game to be a package.

Like there's a free ATC for FSX but needs some work getting setup and all files in...I'd rather pay than go through that nonsense.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people