Main Menu

State of Decay

Started by RooksBailey, May 27, 2013, 02:03:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nefaro

I'm trying to get an idea how it plays, being more of an RPG slug and not so much a button-mashing action twitcher. 

Haven't checked the 'Tube to see if there are any decent length gameplay vids yet.  I just assumed that since it was a console game that there wouldn't be any.

Tpek

Mind you there's no official support for mouse and keyboard right now, though it can still be played using them.
The tutorials and on-screen help still show the X-Box controller setup.

Nefaro

#17
Quote from: Tpek on September 20, 2013, 03:33:14 PM
Mind you there's no official support for mouse and keyboard right now, though it can still be played using them.
The tutorials and on-screen help still show the X-Box controller setup.

I have a 360 controller for use on my computers.  Besides, I believe the mouse & keyboard controls are what they're working on, right?  The reason it's in "Early Access"?

I just wanna know what the gameplay is like.  Sounds like it may be something akin to the Stalker series, in that it's a shooter that has some inventory management, survival style (food, ammo, etc?).  But other than that, the gameplay is pretty much just action shooter?

I did enjoy what little bit I could play of the Stalker games but the low FOV and way movement was displayed gave me a nasty headache.  Since this is a console port, I can almost guarantee it's FOV is probably stuck at 70 degrees or less, and the ground looks way too close when you're running.  *vomits from motion sickness*   I wish this weren't an issue for me, but I never know until after buying.   :'(

Luckily there is a fairly large amount of people who are effected the same as I, with these types of games.  So some of them will eventually start complaining if it's a problem.  Need.. paaatience.  :P

RooksBailey

#18
Quote from: Nefaro on September 20, 2013, 05:31:02 PM
Quote from: Tpek on September 20, 2013, 03:33:14 PM
Mind you there's no official support for mouse and keyboard right now, though it can still be played using them.
The tutorials and on-screen help still show the X-Box controller setup.

I have a 360 controller for use on my computers.  Besides, I believe the mouse & keyboard controls are what they're working on, right?  The reason it's in "Early Access"?

Yeah, they are still working on mouse and keyboard.  Also, the devs said they are adding better graphics options for the PC, so maybe we will see a POV of more than 70.

QuoteI just wanna know what the gameplay is like.  Sounds like it may be something akin to the Stalker series, in that it's a shooter that has some inventory management, survival style (food, ammo, etc?).  But other than that, the gameplay is pretty much just action shooter?

On page 1 of this thread, I posted two lengthy gameplay demos.  They are from the pre-release beta, but the basic gameplay hasn't changed.

EDIT: here is another lets play vid:


"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Nefaro


Nefaro

So.. it's not really a "sandbox" style right now, but they're in the process of making it (if the scuttlebutt is true).  Anyone know if that will be DLC or something?

RooksBailey

Quote from: Nefaro on September 20, 2013, 11:59:28 PM
So.. it's not really a "sandbox" style right now, but they're in the process of making it (if the scuttlebutt is true).  Anyone know if that will be DLC or something?

From what I remember, they were putting the finishing touches on sandbox a few weeks ago.  Here is what sandbox will be like:

http://undeadlabs.com/2013/07/news/enter-sandbox/

Here is the sitrep on the PC pre-release build:

QuoteReminder: Early Access means things may go wrong. Early Access is not for people who dislike games in testing. We appreciate very much all of you who have chosen to throw in with us and play knowing there are issues. Here are the issues you should be aware of for today:

Display issues:

    Games UI does not display well in 4:3 aspect ratio
    The 480p setting under 16:9 incorrectly sets to 480p at 3:2 which strangely looks extremely similar to 4:3.
    If you accidentally set your display settings to something your system doesn't support, delete your user.cfg file.
    Map identifiers can appear cut off at the edge of the screen in 1080p
    We incorrectly will put up a warning that the GeForce GTX 275 is an unsupported card
    Steam UI - Interaction outside 'Big Picture' mode will require keyboard and mouse.
    The keyboard and mouse are not configured for the title at this time. If you are curious and patient you can find what buttons are currently mapped to what. It...makes for creative gameplay?
    Graphical anomalies will occur, outline around characters in certain lighting, shadows can appear corrupted during certain times of day.
    Our min-spec video cards mentioned will run, however expect around 15fps on the Intel HD 3000 and the Radeon HD 2600 XT. The GeForce 9600 GSO runs fairly close to 30fps.
    The publisher/developer movies that play at launch, will not be visible when running dual monitors.

Gameplay and client

    Vehicle physics are a little light compared to the console version.
    The zombie eyes appear a more greenish hue.
    The loot system is a bit different, and still getting retuned.
    Vehicle headlights in the game appear annoyingly bright
    Exiting after you play can cause a crash. Use the task manager to close the game.
    If you are cycling through the leaderboards, you may crash.

Audio

    Some voiceovers will not be audible. (Setting up an outpost, some survivors who to join you, etc.)
    Music is missing from the front end main menu.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Nefaro

Excellent.  Good to hear a sandbox is on the way.  I will probably pick it up once they get that in there.

I've still not seen anything about whether it will be DLC, a separate standalone, a price increase, or whether it's included in a current purchase of the pre-release version. 

Geez.. you can tell we've been DLC'd and Re-release overkilled when this question comes to mind so often.  ;D

Kushan

Quote from: Nefaro on September 21, 2013, 10:01:45 AM
Excellent.  Good to hear a sandbox is on the way.  I will probably pick it up once they get that in there.

I've still not seen anything about whether it will be DLC, a separate standalone, a price increase, or whether it's included in a current purchase of the pre-release version. 

Geez.. you can tell we've been DLC'd and Re-release overkilled when this question comes to mind so often.  ;D

IIRC they included it free as a patch in the 360 version. I'd like to think thye would do the same thing with PC.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Gusington

Is the main part of the game single player?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on September 21, 2013, 01:14:03 PM
Is the main part of the game single player?

I thought it was only singleplayer?

Gusington

If so that makes me a happy panda. I enjoyed Left 4 Dead 2 but I still prefer SP.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on September 21, 2013, 01:36:19 PM
If so that makes me a happy panda. I enjoyed Left 4 Dead 2 but I still prefer SP.

Same.

I'm seeing some people reporting some issues such as framerate issues and artifacting.  So I may wait a bit until the more serious stuff gets fixed.

Gusington

I'm going to have to look into State of Decay a little more now.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

RooksBailey

Quote from: Nefaro on September 21, 2013, 01:32:25 PM
Quote from: Gusington on September 21, 2013, 01:14:03 PM
Is the main part of the game single player?

I thought it was only singleplayer?

It is only SP.  They were going to do a co-op expansion but they cancelled the project because of the tremendous cost it would have required to implement it properly.  They said they'd rather add good content to the SP game than put buckets of cash in a co-op project that they weren't at all sure they could pull off properly.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway