Main Menu

AGEOD's Espana 1936

Started by Martok, September 05, 2013, 11:19:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Staggerwing

Quote from: jomni on October 03, 2013, 06:33:08 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 03, 2013, 05:06:30 PM
What...?

No, "someone should make this World War 2!" posts??!?

:P

This is already World War 2 (only a few years early).

It was a sort of a Kickstarter Alpha build of WW2 with the main backers sending guns, planes, and 'volunteers' instead of Amazon bucks.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Bismarck

Jim Cobb

Martok

Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on October 05, 2013, 08:33:22 AM
If this is made by the same development team that made RUS, it's going to be great.
The lead developer is a fellow named Miguel Santacruz de la Torre.  He stated in an interview that the project started out as a mod of Revolution Under Siege, and eventually grew into a standalone game. 

So it's not the same dev team, but it sounds like he has based Espana off of their work (to at least some degree).  :) 



Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on October 05, 2013, 08:33:22 AM
What day is it today? It's "Buy another AGEOD game" day.
Should you feel so inclined, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this one after you've played it for a bit.  I've been mildly intrigued by Espana since its announcement (perhaps because it seems similar to RUS, which I purchased last year). 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Boggit

Quote from: Bismarck on October 03, 2013, 01:27:06 PM
[Let me rephrase:  I'd not seen a strategic/operational game featuring the SCW til now.]

True. I'm preparing for my review by reading Beevor's The Battle for Spain.
Don't forget he has written two books on it now. IIRC BfS was published in the mid '80's and his later book IIRC in the late '90's. I don't know how they compare together, but it might be worth checking the other through your local library - if it's not closed to the Federal shutdown?? ::) Good author though. :)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Bismarck

I'm also reading Stanley Payne's book on the SCW.
Jim Cobb

Boggit

Quote from: jomni on October 02, 2013, 12:11:15 AM
Quote from: Martok on September 05, 2013, 11:19:25 AM
I've not seen the Spanish Civil War featured in its own game til now.

You weren't looking hard enough.

http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/Products/SB/SCW/SCW.html
On the operational/strategic level Hearts of Iron 2 Doomsday Armageddon, Hearts of Iron 2 Arsenal of Democracy, and Hearts of Iron 3 Finest Hour all have full Spanish Civil War scenarios from start to end.

It is fair to say that the SCW has not been done in the same detail, as the AGEOD title, but without doubt there are other SCW operational/strategic games out there as indicated. John Tiller's Squad Battles: Spanish Civil War is good fun at the tactical level too, and features scenarios right from the start to the end of the war, for a good flavour of the fighting experienced. There are also some tactical SCW scenarios with Steel Panthers WW2 and SPWAW, although not as many as with the John Tiller game.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

Quote from: Bismarck on October 05, 2013, 07:37:39 PM
I'm also reading Stanley Payne's book on the SCW.
What do you think of it?
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Bismarck

Quote from: Boggit on October 05, 2013, 07:46:49 PM
Quote from: Bismarck on October 05, 2013, 07:37:39 PM
I'm also reading Stanley Payne's book on the SCW.
What do you think of it?

I misspoke; I will read Payne's work.
Jim Cobb

Bismarck

Quote from: Boggit on October 05, 2013, 07:45:56 PM
Quote from: jomni on October 02, 2013, 12:11:15 AM
Quote from: Martok on September 05, 2013, 11:19:25 AM
I've not seen the Spanish Civil War featured in its own game til now.

You weren't looking hard enough.

http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/Products/SB/SCW/SCW.html
On the operational/strategic level Hearts of Iron 2 Doomsday Armageddon, Hearts of Iron 2 Arsenal of Democracy, and Hearts of Iron 3 Finest Hour all have full Spanish Civil War scenarios from start to end.

It is fair to say that the SCW has not been done in the same detail, as the AGEOD title, but without doubt there are other SCW operational/strategic games out there as indicated. John Tiller's Squad Battles: Spanish Civil War is good fun at the tactical level too, and features scenarios right from the start to the end of the war, for a good flavour of the fighting experienced. There are also some tactical SCW scenarios with Steel Panthers WW2 and SPWAW, although not as many as with the John Tiller game.

I hang my head in shame!
Jim Cobb

Bill Runacre

Quote from: Boggit on October 05, 2013, 07:30:20 PM
Quote from: Bismarck on October 03, 2013, 01:27:06 PM
[Let me rephrase:  I'd not seen a strategic/operational game featuring the SCW til now.]

True. I'm preparing for my review by reading Beevor's The Battle for Spain.
Don't forget he has written two books on it now. IIRC BfS was published in the mid '80's and his later book IIRC in the late '90's. I don't know how they compare together, but it might be worth checking the other through your local library - if it's not closed to the Federal shutdown?? ::) Good author though. :)

Hi Boggit!

I used to have his original book, called Spanish Civil War, published in 1982, and he revised and updated it considerably to have it republished as Battle for Spain in 2006. The more recent one is the better find, though I still think that Hugh Thomas's Spanish Civil War has a lot to offer.

Don't forget Ronald Fraser's Blood of Spain which is simply excellent as an addition to the coverage of the war, being based on interviews with several hundred Spanish participants.

Bill
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

Slick Wilhelm

Quote from: Bismarck on October 05, 2013, 08:32:15 PM

I misspoke; I will read Payne's work.

I just picked this up for my Kindle, and have started reading it in preparation for playing Espana 1936. I know next to nothing about the SCW.

Bill Runacre

A fairly quick read is George Orwell's Homage to Catalonia, which as well as giving his own views of his involvement in the war, is the raw material from his life which was part of the process in leading him to write Animal Farm and 1984.

It shouldn't be read in isolation, but it does help show the atmosphere in one part of Spain six months or so into the war.

I re-read it recently, for the umpteenth time, and found it useful as I'm currently writing a set of rules for my 20mm miniatures.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

Bismarck

Payne is a very well-respected  prof at University-Madison-WI.
Jim Cobb

MengJiao

Quote from: W8taminute on October 04, 2013, 10:39:10 AM
Can someone recommend a good World War 2 game to me?  You don't really see too many of those types of games out there.



Ok I couldn't resist a good gag.  Anyway did anyone pick up this game and give it a try?  I'm hungry for first impressions by people I can trust.

  I don't know how trustworthy I am, but I'm not a big fan of AGEOD games as a rule.   For some reason I'm enjoying Espana quite a bit -- first it is a nutty war and second the AGEOD system seems to be working -- there are trains and battleships and various airplanes and armored cars and Anarchists and whatnot.  I'm playing the Loyalists so they don't have much in the way of trained troops or leaders or equipment at the start (maybe 12 serviceable recon planes and 20-30 armored cars).  they do have a nice cruiser, a battleship or two, a few dozen destroyers and some transports.
I knew that historically, the Loyalists missed some chances at sea in the early days so I got the ships out patrolling: result -- missed an amphibious invasion or two I think, had some DDs shot up and Sank a Nationalist Battleship, I think.
In other news -- There are all kinds of "political" options -- for example you play the region card "Send me some Bombers" on the Moscow box which is off on the side under the Fascist Assistance Box and above the "Convoy Zone" Box.  So I imagine I'll be defeated horribly on the first run while I figure out how the various options work.  I thought about asking the Nazis for some bombers by dropping the please send me some bombers card in their box, but so far I'm expecting more from Moscow.  At least it is a big box.

MengJiao

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 05, 2013, 12:38:55 PM
Very interesting choice by AGEOD! Will register for comment tracking as we go. (Could this be their first attempts at adjusting their engine for 20th century war? Pride of Nations goes right up to the line.)

  There was Revolution under Seige (RUS) about the Russian Civil War post WWI.  Espana seems to have been built off of that structure -- which features railroads and armor and aircraft.