Main Menu

Universum: War Front

Started by Jarhead0331, October 08, 2013, 03:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jarhead0331

I'll admit it...I don't read through every edition of GARPA, but hopefully we've reported on this one...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/starworksart/universum-war-front-fps-rts-moba-rpg-in-one-space
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Huw the Poo

Phwoar, that looks a bit sexy!  I don't generally caress Kickstarter projects, but I'll definitely sex it if it gets released.

Splendid new avatar by the way, Jarhead!

Martok

Even though the game appears to be outside of my preferred genres, I'll admit it looks kinda hawt. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 08, 2013, 03:23:20 PM

Splendid new avatar by the way, Jarhead!

Love the ZF-1.

"...the always-efficient flamethrower...my favorite"
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 08, 2013, 06:24:32 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 08, 2013, 03:23:20 PM

Splendid new avatar by the way, Jarhead!

Love the ZF-1.

"...the always-efficient flamethrower...my favorite"

Gary Oldman had some excellent characters back in the day, especially the villains.  Like the pimp in True Romance.

"Maybe this fool's such a bad mother***er, he don't got to worry about nothin', he just sit down, eat my Chinese, watch my TV." See? You ain't even sat down yet. On that TV there, since you been in the room, is a woman with her breasteses hangin' out, and you ain't even bothered to look. You just been clockin' me. Now, I know I'm pretty, but I ain't as pretty as a couple of t!tt!es."

and

"He must have thought it was white boy day. It ain't white boy day, is it? "

;D

undercovergeek

Made by one man?!

But rts/fps/moba?

spelk


mikeck

#7
Quote from: Nefaro on October 08, 2013, 11:17:49 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 08, 2013, 06:24:32 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 08, 2013, 03:23:20 PM

Splendid new avatar by the way, Jarhead!

Love the ZF-1.

"...the always-efficient flamethrower...my favorite"

Gary Oldman had some excellent characters back in the day, especially the villains.  Like the pimp in True Romance.

"Maybe this fool's such a bad mother***er, he don't got to worry about nothin', he just sit down, eat my Chinese, watch my TV." See? You ain't even sat down yet. On that TV there, since you been in the room, is a woman with her breasteses hangin' out, and you ain't even bothered to look. You just been clockin' me. Now, I know I'm pretty, but I ain't as pretty as a couple of t!tt!es."

and

"He must have thought it was white boy day. It ain't white boy day, is it? "

;D

"I'm not eating because I'm not hungry...I'm not sitting cause I'm not staying. I'm not watching the movie 'cause I seen it 7 years ago... its'the Mac' with max Julian and Richard Pryor and I ain't scared of you...I just don't like you"
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

W8taminute

Has any company successfully pulled off a RTS/FPS game before?  Look at the bold claims Buka Entertainment made with Pacific Storm.  Here was a game where you could conquer a strategic map, manage unit production factories, ship oil to fuel those factories, and more.  Then when you entered battle you could chose to either manage the battle strategically or jump right in and pilot a plane, captain a sub/battleship/cruiser/etc and turn the tide of battle.

That game was an abysmal failure.  It's not that easy to merge 2 let alone 3 different game types into one package and not have glitches. 

The guys is from Boston however so for that reason only I wish him nothing but success.  Maybe he can pull it off because he seems to have put in a lot and I mean a lot of work and research into his game based on those screenies.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Huw the Poo

Nuclear Dawn did it well in my opinion.  Also there was a game that's regarded as a classic but I can't remember the name...Unnatural Selection maybe?

RooksBailey

Quote from: W8taminute on October 09, 2013, 10:29:56 AM
Has any company successfully pulled off a RTS/FPS game before?  Look at the bold claims Buka Entertainment made with Pacific Storm.  Here was a game where you could conquer a strategic map, manage unit production factories, ship oil to fuel those factories, and more.  Then when you entered battle you could chose to either manage the battle strategically or jump right in and pilot a plane, captain a sub/battleship/cruiser/etc and turn the tide of battle.

That game was an abysmal failure.  It's not that easy to merge 2 let alone 3 different game types into one package and not have glitches. 

The guys is from Boston however so for that reason only I wish him nothing but success.  Maybe he can pull it off because he seems to have put in a lot and I mean a lot of work and research into his game based on those screenies.

I've always wanted a RTS/FPS hybrid, but like you point out, every attempt so far has been less than stellar.  The closest we ever seem to get is a shooter with some sort of "commander mode".  This looks like another good idea, but I must remain cautiously pessimistic. 
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Staggerwing

Quote from: W8taminute on October 09, 2013, 10:29:56 AM
That game was an abysmal failure.  It's not that easy to merge 2 let alone 3 different game types into one package and not have glitches.

I have to admit that Pacific Storm mostly passed under my radar. Why was it a failure?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

W8taminute

Quote from: Staggerwing on October 09, 2013, 05:30:48 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on October 09, 2013, 10:29:56 AM
That game was an abysmal failure.  It's not that easy to merge 2 let alone 3 different game types into one package and not have glitches.

I have to admit that Pacific Storm mostly passed under my radar. Why was it a failure?

The game is quite enjoyable playing as either the Japanese or the Americans before war breaks out.  It's fun researching tech and putting new models into production.  Ferrying supplies, troops, oil back and forth is also fun from a logistics management point of view. 

The problem for me was that once war broke out and you lost a base, if you did not recapture it within a certain time limit you got this warning.  Lose two more bases and fail to recapture them and the game is over.  That broke the game for me. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

son_of_montfort

Could they please throw more acronyms in the title? I won't back unless the description looks like a military manual (or one of Smuck's normal posts).
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Tpek

There seems to be a new game in Steam's Early Access that looks auspiciously like Universum:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/392580/

It's even made by the same guy, with the same logo and the old universum website redirects there.

But so far us KS backers didn't get any key or headsup about a name change or Steam release.