AGEOD Civil war 2 battle planner

Started by mikeck, September 12, 2013, 09:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Steelgrave on September 29, 2013, 09:15:51 PM
^Have you run into the Corp bug? I bought the game right before the bug was announced and haven't bothered to do more than run through the tutorials so far. I'm itching to play, but until the bug is fixed it seems pointless  :P

What's your experience been so far?

Pretty sure there is already a beta patch released with the corp fix included.

mikeck

Yes the 1.01 beta patch at matrix clears that bug up
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Steelgrave

I'm not finding the patch and my game isn't automatically updating. Can someone throw me a link please?

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Steelgrave

Much thanks! Gonna go play now    ;D

Nefaro

I have only a couple small complaints about the UI.  No, I'll not mention the ugly UI backgrounds here (they are!).

The Offensive/Defensive stance buttons, that were previously so readily available next to the unit info bar, were buried an extra click deeper into the interface.  So now we have to click the current stance, which opens the full list of options, and then click the one we want to change it to.  I'd rather have them all sitting in the open because there are two such buttons per unit and you have to change these on each stack.  It can get to be very tedious when ordering multiple stacks into an attack because you'll end up having to click twice as much to get the Stance and Agressiveness order changes set.  It's too much; I'd rather we have the old box of smaller buttons lying out in the open, to the left of the unit box, because I tend to change these stances fairly often.

The interface can now completely clear out the bottom info box, to give you more room to view the map.  However, when I rt-click to clear the current selection, it not only does that but pops up the previous turn's event info box (with it's bright ugly silver background  :P) and requires an extra click to clear.  Wouldn't be so bad but the second click also requires that you aim the mouse pointer within the news box in order to work.  So I think it's more busy-work than we should have, since the Event list can be brought up with a single click on the appropriate button in the interface.  This is probably just preference, but seems to make an admittedly nice new feature (no bottom bar for better visibility) take more time to reach. 

From some of the gameplay results I've seen, using the beta update, I've not seen anything alarming or broken with the gameplay yet.  So overall it's been a good experience.

Grim.Reaper

Well, after much internal debate, I decided to finally make the purchase....currently downloading and hopefully will be able to really play the tutorials and watch videos this weekend to see if I can gain a strong grasp of this game......if this one fails me, might be my last Ageod purchase:)

Nefaro

CW2 certainly isn't the easiest of the AGEOD games to handle.   The map is notably larger than the original, too.

I'm not sure how much difference the 'Battle Planner' has made, when I used it.  It's a good concept but I'm not really sure whether I'm making good choices or whether they're doing much different than the normal way of letting the computer do it's thing. 

jomni

Quote from: Nefaro on October 11, 2013, 07:35:23 PM
CW2 certainly isn't the easiest of the AGEOD games to handle.   The map is notably larger than the original, too.

I'm not sure how much difference the 'Battle Planner' has made, when I used it.  It's a good concept but I'm not really sure whether I'm making good choices or whether they're doing much different than the normal way of letting the computer do it's thing.

So the battle planner's attempt to give some life into the battles didn't work?
Again, this is due to the abstract tactical battles.  Might as well concentrate on strategic.

Grim.Reaper

Hey guys, I posted this at the official forums, but no response so thought I would ask fellow ACW 2 players here.

I was looking at the options and settings available from the main menu. One of the tabs is scripts. According to the tooltip it says this tab is used for enabling and disabling certain historical events. When I click on this tab, I get a blank tab with no options showing where I can enable or disable anything. Am I missing something? Shouldn't there be something shown on this tab? Thanks!

Can I say again that I hate how matrix games have many forums where the game is supported out of?  It is at Ageod, Matrix, and Slitherine.  It seems you have to keep an eye out on all of them and potentially post in multiple places since you don't know where your question is likely going to get answered.  Someday they got to figure out how to merge them all....frustrating.

GJK

So what's the overall consensus on this game?  I'm in an ACW gaming mood and was thinking of relearning VG's Civil War to play solo but if this game would scratch that itch I'd love to know. What I don't want is another Force if Freedom which was just too much for me in the way of learning curve balanced with maintaining interest levels. So is THIS VG's Civil War on the PC or is there something better or perhaps none like it?
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Rayfer

Quote from: GJK on October 12, 2013, 12:45:41 PM
So what's the overall consensus on this game?  I'm in an ACW gaming mood and was thinking of relearning VG's Civil War to play solo but if this game would scratch that itch I'd love to know. What I don't want is another Force if Freedom which was just too much for me in the way of learning curve balanced with maintaining interest levels. So is THIS VG's Civil War on the PC or is there something better or perhaps none like it?

Others may disagree but in my opinion ACW2 (and I own and play it) is not any easier a learning curve than Forge of Freedom (which I also own and have played). But, again in my opinion, it is an outstanding game.  I'm not familiar with the VG game you mentioned.

mikeck

Quote from: GJK on October 12, 2013, 12:45:41 PM
So what's the overall consensus on this game?  I'm in an ACW gaming mood and was thinking of relearning VG's Civil War to play solo but if this game would scratch that itch I'd love to know. What I don't want is another Force if Freedom which was just too much for me in the way of learning curve balanced with maintaining interest levels. So is THIS VG's Civil War on the PC or is there something better or perhaps none like it?

It's a great game. In my opinion, the best operational /strategic civil war game around...but it ain't easy to learn...worth it...but not easy.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

GJK

Thanks guys but I'll wait for a sale run before I pick that one up.  On a whim, I fired up SoW:GB and had a great couple of hours with it so I picked up the Antietam DLC and am going to run through some of those scenarios tonight.  That should somewhat satisfy my ACW itch for now (I hope!).  I'd still love to have a PC version of Victory Games' Civil War though.  I may have to break out the updated copy of the rules that I found on BGG and start reading it and then set up a VASSAL game of it.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on October 11, 2013, 10:01:49 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 11, 2013, 07:35:23 PM
CW2 certainly isn't the easiest of the AGEOD games to handle.   The map is notably larger than the original, too.

I'm not sure how much difference the 'Battle Planner' has made, when I used it.  It's a good concept but I'm not really sure whether I'm making good choices or whether they're doing much different than the normal way of letting the computer do it's thing.

So the battle planner's attempt to give some life into the battles didn't work?
Again, this is due to the abstract tactical battles.  Might as well concentrate on strategic.

It works.  I'm happy they added it and I hope they continue to do such things.

I'm just not sure whether it makes much of a difference.  I also feel that perhaps it shouldn't make much difference because it could potentially trivialize all the other many factors influencing battle outcomes, if given too much weight.