Game programming languages

Started by Toonces, May 09, 2013, 01:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Toonces

Yeah, I agree with that Biggs.

I've been doing a bit of reading and I realize how dumb this question was now.  Really I can get to where I want to go with any number of languages.  I suppose a better question might have been "how do I learn to program?" or something like that.

I'm reading two books concurrently, Game Coding Complete and Introduction to Game Development.  Both books are about 1,000 pages so it's a lot of reading but I'm making good progress.  The Game Coding book is a bit tougher because it uses a lot of examples in C++ to illustrate their points, and not knowing C++ some of the nuances are lost on me.  However, I get the gist of it and without getting wrapped up too much in the code they explain how to structure a game program.

The Intro book is better as it takes  a more macro stance of explaining how a game is structured.  I'm probably learning more from this book about how to think big picture how to make a game.

The Game Coding book comes with source code that you can type in and compile into a game at the end, with a lot of explanation of the hows and whys. 

On game languages, based on what I've read and comments here and at other websites, I think I'd be best served with a higher level, simpler language at the expense of flexibility.  While learning C++ would be optimal, for what I want to do I don't think that's necessary.  I've been sort of looking at C# and Java gets mentioned a lot.  I have more research to do, though.  I'm not at the point of pushing buttons yet, but I have a much better appreciation of the steps involved in writing a game than I did when I started this thread.  I think by the time I'm done reading and sketching out my ideas into a skeleton of a game I'll have a better idea of what language is the best to start with.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

LongBlade

Some guys are gifted programmers. They're born to code.

I'm not one of them. I've studied some languages and managed to be moderately competent with them. But I've always needed a teacher to help start me down the road.

Once in a while you'll meet someone who is more-or-less self-taught. They only need school for the sheepskin so someone will believe them when they interview.

I realize you've got a lot of irons in the fire already, but you might see if your employer offers some continuing education incentives and could help pay for a class or two to help assist you in your endeavor.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.