Galactic Civilizations III trailer!!

Started by Martok, October 15, 2013, 11:36:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Bison


Martok

#2
Indeed! 


I realize this pretty much goes without saying, but... 



"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Darkspire

Thanks Martok, you sir have made my year  8)

Its through Steam so mark this day in the record books, I will install the beast and succumb to the darkside  ;D

Have waited for so long, word was that it would never happen due to legal wrangles when Stardock sold everything but the kitchen sink. I will install Steam as soon as the new system is assembled and preorder it, screw the DRM, I will just have GCIII on one computer and build another DRM less PC for X-Rebirth and GTA V afterwards ::)

Darkspire
Trying to prove the existence of God with the Bible is the same thing as trying to prove the existence of Orcs using the Lord of the Rings books.


Rayfer

I'm assuming that is a cinematic trailer and not gameplay footage? I enjoyed GC2 a lot.  One to follow.

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Darkspire

Trying to prove the existence of God with the Bible is the same thing as trying to prove the existence of Orcs using the Lord of the Rings books.


Steelgrave

That's a definite first day buy!  Thanks for the info, Martok   8)

Yskonyn

#8
Cool stuff. I have put some serious time into Galciv 2. 3 will be a definite purchase as well.
I am hoping they still have the custom ship building options, but this time around integrate an option to have the AI use created ships effectively too.
And I hope they do not go for a totally 3D map. More something in the vein of DW would be cool where panning is still 2D but you do have systems with individual planets in orbit around a sun.

And multiplayer!!!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

FlickJax


Jarhead0331

#10
A little surprised about the thrilled response to this one.  The Gal Civ games were "ok" I suppose.  The cutesy graphics and humorous dialogue/text was a real turn off to me.  The games had their moments, but I think the genre has surpassed them by leaps and bounds.  It will be interesting to see what, if anything, the new title can add to the crowded environment.

The trailer does look good though and appears to be taking a step away from the comical leanings of its predecessor.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Darkspire

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 15, 2013, 01:28:40 PM
A little surprised about the thrilled response to this one.  The Gal Civ games were "ok" I suppose.  The cutesy graphics and humorous dialogue/text was a real turn off to me.  The games had their moments, but I think the genre has surpassed them by leaps and bounds.  It will be interesting to see what, if anything, the new title can add to the crowded environment.

The trailer does look good though and appears to be taking a step away from the comical leanings of its predecessor.

One word, AI (or is that two in disguise?)

The GalCiv series has never really been surpassed in terms of the single player challenge as you stepped up the difficulty ladder, GalCivI was the first computer game that actually surprised me in its inventiveness (been gaming since 79), I actually had to check the game was not online, I have played every 4x since M.U.L.E and that series is one of the best examples of what an AI driven 4x should be, a benchmark that has often been emulated but never beaten.

Darkspire
Trying to prove the existence of God with the Bible is the same thing as trying to prove the existence of Orcs using the Lord of the Rings books.


Martok

Also, epic-sized maps and the ship design.  8) 


I understand where Jarhead is coming from with the visuals & humor.  The former didn't really bother me that much, and I liked the latter more than not, but I'll admit they did detract from the experience at times.  I certainly won't mind if some of the humor returns, but I do hope GC3 goes in a more serious direction. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Huw the Poo

GalCiv 2 is seven years old so I'd have been worried if it hadn't been surpassed by now!

I may have to break my own day-one rule for this.  GalCiv 2 was amazing.  I hope we get the option to auto-build ships this time though; I want to kick arse, not play with Lego!

sandman2575

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 15, 2013, 01:28:40 PM
The trailer does look good though and appears to be taking a step away from the comical leanings of its predecessor.


...but will the actual game at all resemble the trailer?  I mean, the trailer looks great, and of course we all know that trailers have cinematic 'enhancements' that the game can't deliver...  But if this trailer hadn't had "Gal Civ III" written on it, I would not have guessed it was part of the Gal. Civ. franchise.  I mean, it just looks like a major departure.   So, are we to expect that Gal Civ. III will look a lot more like Sins of a Solar Empire, with awesome 3D space battles etc., than it will resemble Gal Civ. II?