Why am I not getting into Ageod games?

Started by DicedT, October 08, 2013, 01:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Tuna on October 11, 2013, 06:46:07 AM
When AGEOD is 'still' patching something in the latter years, I don't look it as they are 'fixing' it but more they are fine tuning/enhancing it.

To me, its the same thing conceptually.....if they have made enhancements/tuning changes, then in my mind it could invalidate everything I did in the campaign so far depending on the changes.  If I wasn't in the middle of a campaign and was starting fresh, a total non issue for me.  Again, likely just me over thinking things and don't get me wrong, I certainly want the developer to continue supporting the product, just something I have to come to grips with myself.

MengJiao

Quote from: Nefaro on October 10, 2013, 12:33:58 AM
The units actually have a "combat factor" estimate. 

  So true.  I usually don't think of the force factor number as a combat factor (though that is exactly what it is...you can start at say 1300 and after a battle it is at 200 due to the drop in readiness), but as more of a size factor.  If I'm considering "the odds" I check on supply, movement, terrain, leadership,  comand control, cohesion and the mix of forces (guns, engineers, tanks, armored trains etc.).  Generally you don't know as much about the enemy so you have to go with a more general picture and estimate was well as you can.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on October 08, 2013, 02:29:25 PM
  I can sympathize.  I think I've gotten every AGEOD game and I've only really liked RUS and RoP.  RUS was the first one I actually managed to get to work from my point of view and RoP was the first one I managed to win.


  Note to self:  It seems Espana 1936 is my favorite AGEOD game so far.  It seems to push the engine into new and ever more baroque contortions: bombing, air defense, submarine patrols, convoy escorts and so on -- which you have to do it seems to give the Republicans a chance.

  The AI (at least as the Nationalists) seems to read the overall situation very well.

Fetrik

I have Boa2, RoP , ACW, AJE and BoR. The Aje games as my favourites. Bought both Boa2 and ACW and RoP on sales. Never took a turn in Boa. Did play a battle scenario in ACW. Played a bunch of turns in RoP but got annoyed by having controll of all allies and not knowing wtf the Russians would do to me.

I've played several scenarios of Aje and really enjoyed them. For some reason i always feel more clever when i play a Ageod game. Gotta savor that. :P

Anyway, i Think the key is to find a conflict you enjoy and use baby steps. Raise the AI and the AI helps as needed. The hardest thing for me is that this is the only WEGO game i play, so kinda hard to get used to,

MengJiao

Quote from: Fetrik on October 15, 2013, 10:14:45 AM
I have Boa2, RoP , ACW, AJE and BoR. The Aje games as my favourites. Bought both Boa2 and ACW and RoP on sales. Never took a turn in Boa. Did play a battle scenario in ACW. Played a bunch of turns in RoP but got annoyed by having controll of all allies and not knowing wtf the Russians would do to me.

I've played several scenarios of Aje and really enjoyed them. For some reason i always feel more clever when i play a Ageod game. Gotta savor that. :P

Anyway, i Think the key is to find a conflict you enjoy and use baby steps. Raise the AI and the AI helps as needed. The hardest thing for me is that this is the only WEGO game i play, so kinda hard to get used to,

   Right!  And of course I really sympathize with people who are intrigued by AGEOD, but don't have much fun with AGEOD.  I was the same way really until I put a lot of time into RUS and RoP.  With RoP, I played the French- Imperial-Austrian-Swedish-Russian side to see what they could do and realized that the Russians and so on could not do much to save Austria in the first couple of years  and once Austria was gone, there was not much left.  The Hanoverians and British and other minor allies are indeed a chore, but you can bring them to bear on the Austrians and Imperialists before the French and Russians get going.
   The other thing I was mulling over is the number of interlocking layers of decisions in these games -- especially with the region options and other options.  For example you might want to carefully time your build up of supplies and depots to support the relatively deep operations the Prussians will need to do in late 1757- early 1759 to knock out Austria and use your seige cards to push that thrust into Austria as fast as possible.  then you can build up the army in late 1759 as things really heat up.
   Similarly in Espana as the Republicans, you have to put off some hopes of building up the army in favor of getting weapons quickly from Russia and using regional cards to push the air war.  The balancing of layers may mean giving ground and keeping your navy in a state to escort the convoys and avoiding as much offensive action as possible.  Even then, the build up is pretty slow.

Greybriar

I own a number of AGEOD games and haven't been able to get into them. When I purchased Pride of Nations, I was determined to acquaint myself with the AGEOD engine. Unfortunately it wasn't meant to be and I gave up on PoN and all games AGEOD.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Nefaro

Quote from: Greybriar on October 15, 2013, 06:02:07 PM
I own a number of AGEOD games and haven't been able to get into them. When I purchased Pride of Nations, I was determined to acquaint myself with the AGEOD engine. Unfortunately it wasn't meant to be and I gave up on PoN and all games AGEOD.

LOL! 

Did you intend to start with the most difficult and time-consuming one?  Or was that just how the hammer fell?  ;D

Greybriar

Quote from: Nefaro on October 15, 2013, 06:38:55 PM
LOL! 

Did you intend to start with the most difficult and time-consuming one?  Or was that just how the hammer fell?  ;D

Pride of Nations was the AGEOD game that I was most looking forward to. So, yeah, I guess you could say that's just how the hammer fell.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.