Main Menu

2013 Combat Mission Poll

Started by Michael Dorosh, October 16, 2013, 07:32:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JudgeDredd

Only because it's fresh in my head...having been at the failed end of it very recently and their helpful support with undertones.

Before that I was fine with their system.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

GJK

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 16, 2013, 12:59:03 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on October 16, 2013, 12:08:25 PM
Hey Judge. Do you play real-time or turn-based? I play turn-based and what works for me is a very slow recon approach and when I start taking fire, re-wind the action until just before the fire comes your way and cruise around the map listening over and over for the sound of where the fire came from. Generally you can get a real good idea about where the enemy is and sometimes what is shooting at you. Then use any unit that can area fire into close to that point to suppress the fire. It's slow but it works. You can also try an easier level. I've had to do that after the last CMFI DLC because the AI now seems to have learned to hold it's fire better until you're close. The biggest mistake I make is getting in too big a hurry. Hope it helps. :)
Thanks Sir Slash. I've tried and tried to play WEGO and just can't get into it. Strangely enough I preferred the CMx1 stuff in WEGO...I loved the system. As soon as it went to Shock Force I was an RTS convert - having usually hated RTS. I just think the new engine and games play better in RTS.

But - I'll give it another try in WEGO. You never know. Something might click.

Thanks

Well maybe that's what my problem is with CM:BN- I need to try it as an RTS game.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

JudgeDredd

^ lol - you never know - maybe we'll both have an enlightening moment!  ;)
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Bison

I learned quickly to play CMSF as an RTS with lots of pausing rather than attempting to coordinate movements over a minute long turn.  The units are too deadly and one little mistake and wham! there goes a squad or vehicle.  I've kept the practice up with CMBN and CMFI.  I might attempt to learn the timing if I ever decided to play a PBEM game, but frankly right now that type of play holds no interest for me.

GJK

I'm still preferring the "big heads" of CMx1.  Easy to learn, no DRM and covers ALL of the East, West and Mediterranean fronts.  When modded, it looks pretty darn good as well.  Just saying.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Bison

I get it GJK, but I really like the CM2 engine.

Cyrano

Ultimately, to me anyway, it's a false choice.  I play both generations, largely because my wife. father-in-law, and some of my long-time opponents don't want to make the jump to CMx2.

I'll also be the first to grant that the set-up, PBEM, and play of the x1 engine is mite easier, particularly as relates to the size of files to be transferred.

The terrain modelling of x2 alone, however, makes it a very special thing indeed.  I love just laying out topo maps for fun and firing tanks back and forth across them.  Do that in real life and you're likely to be detained.

Even though the survey sample is small and, I suspect, skewed, the lack of movement over to x2 it indicates is dramatic and interesting.  Curious to see what happens as time moves on and, perhaps, the cost of x2 dips somewhat.  It shouldn't be forgotten that x1 is much more affordable these days than its younger peer.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Bison

I don't particularly find the poll all that interesting.  Namely it's being done on a board game forum so I suspect that skews the results.  I suspect if it were taken in the battlefront community the results would read completely opposite. 

SgtRock

Quote from: Bison on October 16, 2013, 07:47:41 PM
I don't particularly find the poll all that interesting.  Namely it's being done on a board game forum so I suspect that skews the results.  I suspect if it were taken in the battlefront community the results would read completely opposite.

Trying to do a poll like on the Battlefront forums is like trying to design a car seat for cats! ::)

Bison

Yes.  It'd be completely irrational to have a poll of people who actually play the games.

jomni

People don't take dorosh seriously in the BF forums.

Nefaro

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 16, 2013, 02:35:45 PM
why does it seem like every mention of Combat Mission is followed by the initials "DRM" like any appearance of Slaak is always followed by "9/11 is a lie!" ?

Both examples cannot be separated from their respective psychoses.  :P

Bison

Quote from: jomni on October 17, 2013, 12:16:01 AM
People don't take dorosh seriously in the BF forums.

Why should they?

GJK

Quote from: Bison on October 17, 2013, 12:36:55 AM
Quote from: jomni on October 17, 2013, 12:16:01 AM
People don't take dorosh seriously in the BF forums.

Why should they?

Come on now, Mike has made lots of great contributions to the wargaming community over the years in both ASL, CM and in other areas.  He's a personal friend of mine (he's been down from Canada for a visit previously) and I respect his knowledge in Canadian and WWII history.  His online persona can be quite blunt but that tells me that he's a guy that won't BS you around; he'll tell you like it is.  He can stir up shit in forums and often does, but it also provokes lots of conversation and debate on the topics that he raises (i.e., this thread for example).  Seperate his brash profile online with him in person and you have two different people, really.  Personally, I appreciate his contributions.  I still use his ASL mod for CMx1 to this day.  :)
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

JudgeDredd

Some people seem to be ostracised if they speak out against the norm or the masses.

Another name springs to mind from recent history

Personally I have never heard anything about Michael Dorosh and when he's posted, that I have read, it's been informative and in no way inflammatory. But others seem to think differently and that's  8)
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people