Tactical, Pacific theater, WW2?

Started by Toonces, October 14, 2013, 10:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

vyshka

SPWAW Depot (www.spwaw.com) has the downloads available for the free Matrix version.

vyshka

Quote from: Staggerwing on October 16, 2013, 01:41:02 PM
There are two different versions of WinSP out, one hosted by Matrix and one from Shrapnel Games (where you can also opt to purchase the higher-res version) Shrapnel also has the modern combat version, SPMBT.

Matrix SPW@W version: http://www.matrixgames.com/products/297/downloads/ (both full v.8.20 free game as well as updates listed on right)

Shrapnel SPWW2 version: http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Camo_Workshop/WW2/WW2_page.html (free d/l button in upper middle right panel/frame/whatever it's called...)

Shrapnel SPMBT version (get your Cold War jones fixed!): http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Camo_Workshop/MBT/MBT_page.html (D/L button also hiding in middle right frame)

Note: the SPWW2 and SPMBT games have some kind of Multiplayer. Matrix's SPW@W is SP only.

Doesn't SPWAW support PBEM?

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Staggerwing

My bad- I was under the impression that SPWAW was SP (based on a long ago forum discussion) but I just verified at the product page that it will support up to 4 players. I should have checked first.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

SgtRock

I remember some developer once saying, infantry fighting wasn't fun in the pacific and wouldn't be fun in a game. They might have been right, I don't think fighting in the bocage of Normandy was pleasant in real life and turned out to be not much fun playing in a game. Sadly there are too few squad level computer games.

vyshka

Luckily a revisit to Steel Panthers is on Grigsby list of things to do. The downside is it is supposedly sometime after he finishes off the WITW/WITE series.

Staggerwing

If GG re-does SP I hope he keeps the top-down perspective. I'd hate for it to end up looking like Combat Mission or the new XCom(WW2 style). Worse still would be a 45 degree perspective a'la Codename Panzers.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

Sort of on topic: can anyone recommend a good book on Japanese armor in WWII?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Thanks for the links, guys.

Gus, Osprey's got a pretty decent Japanese armor book:
http://www.ospreypublishing.com/store/World-War-II-Japanese-Tank-Tactics_9781846032349

...but that's in funny squiggly fur'nur money.

You can find it on Amazon also, here:
http://www.amazon.com/World-Japanese-Tank-Tactics-Elite/dp/1846032342/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top





Gusington

^Cool thanks BC...appropriate that you should have those links :)
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

junk2drive

Quote from: Gusington on October 16, 2013, 06:18:17 PM
Sort of on topic: can anyone recommend a good book on Japanese armor in WWII?

The best website that I know of for Japanese armor and infantry is Taki's

http://www3.plala.or.jp/takihome/

He has worked on some of the Osprey books.

SgtRock

Quote from: Staggerwing on October 16, 2013, 04:06:58 PM
If GG re-does SP I hope he keeps the top-down perspective. I'd hate for it to end up looking like Combat Mission or the new XCom(WW2 style). Worse still would be a 45 degree perspective a'la Codename Panzers.

I can't picture a 3D Gary Grisby game but, 8-10 years from now who knows?

Arctic Blast

Quote from: vyshka on October 16, 2013, 03:39:37 PM
Luckily a revisit to Steel Panthers is on Grigsby list of things to do. The downside is it is supposedly sometime after he finishes off the WITW/WITE series.

How old is Gary? This seems like a potential Robert Jordan/Wheel of Time situation...

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Arctic Blast on October 17, 2013, 12:06:06 AM
Quote from: vyshka on October 16, 2013, 03:39:37 PM
Luckily a revisit to Steel Panthers is on Grigsby list of things to do. The downside is it is supposedly sometime after he finishes off the WITW/WITE series.

How old is Gary? This seems like a potential Robert Jordan/Wheel of Time situation...

No telling, but he looks like he's in his late 50s/early 60s...