Main Menu

2013 Combat Mission Poll

Started by Michael Dorosh, October 16, 2013, 07:32:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jomni

#45
Quote from: Bison on October 17, 2013, 12:36:55 AM
Quote from: jomni on October 17, 2013, 12:16:01 AM
People don't take dorosh seriously in the BF forums.

Why should they?

He does make sense. But maybe annoying to hardcore fan boys who worship BF.

undercovergeek

Quote from: GJK on October 17, 2013, 01:25:21 AM
He can stir up shit in forums and often does

this is not a positive trait - anywhere else and including here i would imagine, you would just be politely asked to leave

and if hes such a nice guy in real life, wtf is wrong with putting that out in the digital world - to me all that says is nice face to face but an asshole behind a monitor when he doesnt have to face the consequences/fists/sticks

GJK

#47
Quote from: undercovergeek on October 17, 2013, 05:19:46 AM
Quote from: GJK on October 17, 2013, 01:25:21 AM
He can stir up shit in forums and often does

this is not a positive trait - anywhere else and including here i would imagine, you would just be politely asked to leave

and if hes such a nice guy in real life, wtf is wrong with putting that out in the digital world - to me all that says is nice face to face but an asshole behind a monitor when he doesnt have to face the consequences/fists/sticks

I don't know why geek and I'm not going to defend him here when he's a member can do so himself.  Hopefully that doesn't turn in to a slugfest however that gets out of control because that's exactly the type of stuff that I came here to get away from.  But it's started already; the guy posts a poll about Combat Mission and that instantly turns into a Battlefront to Mike Dorosh drag through the mud ass wrangling.  Maybe if Mike just totally disassociated himself with Battlefront.  <shrug>

I think that I learned to read Mike's personality a long time ago.  Probably to many/most he comes off as an arrogant SOB but I never took him that way.  In fact, I think our personalities are very identical but mine is much more muted.  He enjoys doing wargame projects; making add-on's, player aids, graphics, writing, etc for games that he barely plays.  I do the same thing.  Anyways, Mike is welcome to come down and stay with me any time that he likes and I personally enjoy reading his posts, though I may be in the minority there. 
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Mad Russian

I've seen both sides of Mike. Over the years I've had a pretty constant relationship with him. For the most part, he's passionate about his hobby. He knows what he likes and says what he thinks. That's not where the issue lies with me personally. At times when you disagree with Mike he can get a bit testy.

I can too on some days. I overlook our issues, and there have been some intense moments, because of what he has to offer.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Bison

Why should anyone at Battlefront care wha
Quote from: jomni on October 17, 2013, 04:41:50 AM
Quote from: Bison on October 17, 2013, 12:36:55 AM
Quote from: jomni on October 17, 2013, 12:16:01 AM
People don't take dorosh seriously in the BF forums.

Why should they?

He does make sense. But maybe annoying to hardcore fan boys who worship BF.

Ah,  I see.  Well that clears it all up then doesn't it. 

GJK

Well I hope that the mod's keep a very short leash on this thread.  I don't want to see it turn into a bash against *anybody*.  I think that this site has kept above that standard and I hope that it remains to do so. 
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Bison

#51
Quote from: GJK on October 17, 2013, 07:32:48 AM
Well I hope that the mod's keep a very short leash on this thread.  I don't want to see it turn into a bash against *anybody*.  I think that this site has kept above that standard and I hope that it remains to do so. 

GJK.  I'm not bashing him.  I revert back to my original position on the poll itself.  If you were to poll the actual community of players who play Combat Mission regularly, I think your results would look differently.  And yes your polling pool would have to come from the Battlefront community.  I suspect that many still play CMx1, but that the majority have moved onto one of the CMx2 iterations.

As far as Michael goes my original post had nothing to do who him personally, he can have his opinion on whatever the hell he wants like we all do.  I disagree with him on his assessment of playability issues and historical assessments of CMX2 that he's posted here at grogheads previously.  And I frankly don't care what his history or relationship is with Battlefront or his interactions with the community there are or have been in the past.  It has no impact on my enjoyment of the games.  Just as I'm sure my inane ramblings have little to no impact on individuals when it comes to my rambling about various games here too.

GJK

That's cool Bison and I can agree with you that the poll could of been done in a better place.  Perhaps Mike will chime in and explain why BGG was chosen.  I suspect that it was because he was familiar with the tools for setting up the poll there and perhaps to ride a bit on Jay Richardson's coattails along with the success that he had with the ASL poll there. 
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Bison

I will say that there are just topics that will inherently spawn reactions of those for and those against.  Battlefront is just one of them and yes it primarily has to do with their DRM.  I'm not going to dig through every Battlefront thread here, but I'd be willing to bet that in over 90% of them the DRM is brought up and becomes the primary focus of the thread.  Anyway it is what it is and for right now the government hasn't declared an individual mandate to buy Combat Mission Battle for Normandy and all it's expansions, so we all still have a choice to make in regard to purchasing and playing.

Sir Slash

Regardless of his opinions and opinions of him, Mr. Dorosh has created some very good user-made scenarios for both CM1 and CM2 and has a great knowledge of both games.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MengJiao

Quote from: Bison on October 16, 2013, 07:47:41 PM
I don't particularly find the poll all that interesting.  Namely it's being done on a board game forum so I suspect that skews the results.  I suspect if it were taken in the battlefront community the results would read completely opposite.

  Still, allowing for some bias, there are some interesting features on the 2012 poll:  for example -- board gamers don't play RT much, but they would like the Eastern Front more than any other choice they got.

JudgeDredd

I went for all modern - Korea onwards...especially Cold War and Arab/Israeli stuff
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

MengJiao

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 17, 2013, 10:36:45 AM
I went for all modern - Korea onwards...especially Cold War and Arab/Israeli stuff

  IIRC, Battlefront is working on a present-day, non-asymmetric war.  Something in Eastern Europe with NATO coming in on it.  They could just rework Syria with the NATO versus whoever, but they thought making it more hypothetical might be a good thing.

  Supposedly they will not do any Israelis, but back in CMSF, you could have T-62s (Israeli style) versus T-62s (Syrian Style).  Now those were some fierce fights.

MengJiao

Quote from: GJK on October 16, 2013, 07:58:51 AM
Neat poll.  The big shocker for me was to see that CMx1 is being played more than the newer releases, or so it's indicated as such early in this voting.

  Oddly enough, I'm thinking of getting CMFI.  That's a CM2 game covering Sicily and Salerno --sorta -- I guess it has no allied units but Americans.  Kind of a Sci-fi world.  But hermetic.  Sorta. 

SgtRock

CM Games need a lot more than just new theatres and timeframes.

DRM
- get rid of current DRM. Even SES dumped their DRM that was based on a users PC config. The current DRM just get's worst with each new release.

New Campaign System
- they have used the same campaign system now for the last 3 games, I don't know why you can't just created a force and take them through a series of battles.
- a campaign system that supports non-fixed OOB, allow players to select, modify the forces, this will give them more replay value!
- new campaign layer where you can distribute replacements, add support units, repair units, etc. in between battles.
- allow players to name units down to the man if they want.

Better Quick Battles
- better QB system that doesn't require players to create AI plans for new maps or an easier way to do it, there are very few third party QB maps with AI.
- allow all units from all modules be available when creating quick battles, whats the point of having 3 modules when you can only use units from one at a time?
- more options for map size vs force size.

Update Manager
- it's just too big PITA to update and re-install their games, plus modules and updates.

Other things
- prevent vehicles from passing through each other, that just looks so stupid these days.
- develop a movement system that allows vehicles to drive over bridges that works.
- add other terrain to includes ports, airfields, radar/radio stations, etc.
- allow users to create/edit infantry units vs. a database with tons of the same units.
- supply units that can be edited for ammo types, amounts, etc.
- allow users to select the unit they want vs. selection everything than deleting 99.9% just to get the one unit you want.
- better damage models.
- allow the player to decide when a battle is over.
- allow the player to decide the timefame (15 sec, 30 sec, 60 sec, etc.) for turn based play.
- option to keep dead on the map.
- new mission/battle types to capture/kill/blow up a specific unit/map item for commando type battles.