Main Menu

Legos

Started by Jarhead0331, October 23, 2013, 08:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jarhead0331

Does anybody here play the Lego games? I know they are primarily marketed to a younger crowd, but I just can't help myself.  I recently purchased Lego Star Wars: Clone Wars 3, Lego Batman 2 and the newly released Lego Marvel Superheroes.  There are just so many things to do in them and so many unlockable playable characters...the last few titles even have some pretty comprehensive free roam areas and Star Wars even has a strategic battle/skirmish mode.

The humor is corny and sometimes childish, but big open world super hero and star wars games are few and far between...these sort of scratch the itch. Also, when I just don't have the mental patience or acuity to plan combined air and naval operations in something as complex as Command: MNAO, or prepare a defense of the Fulda Gap in FP:C, these lego games give me a relaxing, carefree getaway.  When she is old enough, I hope games like these will be a great gateway into gaming with my daughter...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


bayonetbrant

I know a bunch of friends that LOVE the Lego Batman franchise.

I played one of the Lego Star Wars games with Bayonet Jr for a half hour one day, before he got upset that I was going to slow for him and asked me to leave.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Grimnirsson

Yeah, Hiimori and I we also play them, we own several of them but we usually suck at the puzzles  :P
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Anguille

I have the lego Star Wars trilogy.... 8)

Jarhead0331

^That is the one thing that annoys me about the Lego games.  I'm not a huge fan of puzzles. I would like these games more if it was all just about running (or flying) around and blowing things up, rather than having to use 'x' special ability to perform 'y' task so that you can reach 'z' location.

Otherwise, a lot of fun...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


ComradeP

I've played the Star Wars games, but don't own any. They were enjoyable, and as I used to play with Lego a lot when I was younger, it felt like a sort of natural evolution to play with Lego on consoles as well.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

Dolan50

Whenever I want to give my gaming brain a temporary rest I play World of Tanks.
Usually after a few hours of that,I'm ready to get back into something more complex or just read a book.
A Corporate Executive,a Democrat and a Republican walk into a room.The CEO walks in first and notices 10 cookies on a plate and pockets 9 of them,then turns to the Republican and whispers in his ear  and says "The Democrat is trying to steal your cookie".

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Dolan50 on October 23, 2013, 10:03:41 AM
Whenever I want to give my gaming brain a temporary rest I play World of Tanks.
Usually after a few hours of that,I'm ready to get back into something more complex or just read a book.

I'm shocked to hear you play anything other than Graviteam Tactics... :P
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Dolan50

I've been doing a lot of reading on the American Civil War again lately.
And have been looking at different games that cover that war recently.

I have a few board games on the American Civil War but my cat hates them.
Think I may start on Vassal or Cyber board to began gaming the subject soon and give the Russian front a break for awhile.

Looked at Scourge of War but I'm not a fan of the graphics and because the graphics are very good in GTOS I've  now become a graphics whore and  find it hard to play PC games that don't have the same quality.

I still fire up a Quick battle every so often with GTOS but I'm not much into the campaign aspects of the game anymore.
A Corporate Executive,a Democrat and a Republican walk into a room.The CEO walks in first and notices 10 cookies on a plate and pockets 9 of them,then turns to the Republican and whispers in his ear  and says "The Democrat is trying to steal your cookie".

WallysWorld

I've played the first Indiana Jones Lego game. Quite fun with some really funny parts that made me LOL.

I think the game is worthwhile to waste away some free time.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Father Ted

Just so we're all agreed: there is no plural of Lego.  You build things out of Lego bricks, or just Lego, but never Legos.

My kids have a lot of the Lego video games and they seem fun.  And I actually thought the humour was pretty good.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Father Ted on October 23, 2013, 05:31:51 PM
Just so we're all agreed: there is no plural of Lego.  You build things out of Lego bricks, or just Lego, but never Legos.

My kids have a lot of the Lego video games and they seem fun.  And I actually thought the humour was pretty good.

Actually, we are not all agreed.  According to at least one grammar nazi:

QuoteThere is no grammatical rule that says a proper noun cannot be used to refer to a countable object. "Mac" is a proper noun. It's a name of a product but it is also used to refer to the individual Macintosh machines, i.e., "Macs". Think of car companies, like Honda, BMW, and Porsche. When we refer to their cars, we say, "Hondas", "BMWs", and "Porsches". BMW's own site uses the plural form: "Today's BMWs are equipped with..." And, Porsche's own site says, "Barely any two Porsches are identical."

So, I would say "LEGOs" is perfectly fine if you are referring to the pieces of LEGO. It is however wrong to say "LEGOs", if you are referring to the brand/company.

And, this should be a sparate issue from how the company officially uses the term for their marketing and communication. They could have their own policies but that does not make "LEGOs" grammatically incorrect. The correct use of a word is not determined by the person who coined it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


bayonetbrant

^^^

Just to clarify - that was not me
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

and I will tell you that when I step on a bunch of them going into my son's room to wake him up in the morning, the proper term is "f*&@n' legos!"
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

I've played Star Wars and Batman.  Good fun.  I'd eventually like to play the Lord of the Rings one.