Main Menu

Legos

Started by Jarhead0331, October 23, 2013, 08:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

DoctorQuest

My son is a huge fan of both the real thing and the games. He gave us his old Wii and Lego Indiana Jones. I just have not had time to check it out. He will be all over the Avengers game I'm sure.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Staggerwing

Lego Avengers?  ???
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

DoctorQuest

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Darkspire

Quote from: DoctorQuest on October 23, 2013, 09:33:28 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on October 23, 2013, 09:15:29 PM
Lego Avengers?  ???

Um. YEAH.

http://marvel.com/news/story/19916/lego_marvel_super_heroes_game_on_the_way

Watched the preview on Ginx and it really does look good and plays well, I think it was mentioned that there are over 150 characters, very open ended and according to Ginx the best of the games so far, from what i saw I would have to agree.

Darkspire
Trying to prove the existence of God with the Bible is the same thing as trying to prove the existence of Orcs using the Lord of the Rings books.


Jarhead0331

The S.H.I.E.L.D. Heli-carrier....totally awesome.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Anguille

Lego Avengers...that i would buy too...

Jack Nastyface

FWIW...I am on a longer than expected hiatus from playing Lego Lord of the Rings.  Overall a good game with lots of fun stuff and a massive world to explore.  I am not rushing through the game as I want to enjoy each setting I encounter, so I am not quite at the gates of Moira.  Fun stuff, though.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Father Ted

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 23, 2013, 07:43:29 PM
Quote from: Father Ted on October 23, 2013, 05:31:51 PM
Just so we're all agreed: there is no plural of Lego.  You build things out of Lego bricks, or just Lego, but never Legos.

My kids have a lot of the Lego video games and they seem fun.  And I actually thought the humour was pretty good.

Actually, we are not all agreed.  According to at least one grammar nazi:

QuoteThere is no grammatical rule that says a proper noun cannot be used to refer to a countable object. "Mac" is a proper noun. It's a name of a product but it is also used to refer to the individual Macintosh machines, i.e., "Macs". Think of car companies, like Honda, BMW, and Porsche. When we refer to their cars, we say, "Hondas", "BMWs", and "Porsches". BMW's own site uses the plural form: "Today's BMWs are equipped with..." And, Porsche's own site says, "Barely any two Porsches are identical."

So, I would say "LEGOs" is perfectly fine if you are referring to the pieces of LEGO. It is however wrong to say "LEGOs", if you are referring to the brand/company.

And, this should be a sparate issue from how the company officially uses the term for their marketing and communication. They could have their own policies but that does not make "LEGOs" grammatically incorrect. The correct use of a word is not determined by the person who coined it.

No. no no.  This person has it wrong.  A BMW car is an individual thing, and so it's reasonable to talk about BMWs.   There's one Beamer, oh, and there's another...so that's two BMWs.  There's some Lego, oh and there's some more...so that's some Lego.  Lego is a singular thing, it's a system.     The Lego  bricks are not called anything (other than bricks), they are part of the system.  Similarly, we have a toy construction system over here called "Meccano" - the individual bits are not "meccanos".

All of which has nothing to do with the videogames, so sorry, and no more posts from me on the topic


Staggerwing

AFA real Lego pieces go, when did you guys get your first bunch? I had them in my toy box as early as 1967 and we refers to the bits as 'Legos' (say that with a Dutch accent and it sounds like you are coughing up a lugie!) so I declare the plural form acceptable based on A priori usage.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Bison

I say Legos for multiple Lego pieces on the floor.  "Hey, pick up your damned Legos so I stop stepping on them!   Or next time I throw the Legos in the trash can!."

Darkspire

I have always wondered why a Lego Transformers has never been made, probably license problems. Could make a Zoids one though, that could be fun.

Darkspire
Trying to prove the existence of God with the Bible is the same thing as trying to prove the existence of Orcs using the Lord of the Rings books.


Martok

For me, the plural form has always simply been "Legos".  Every kid I've ever known calls them the same. 




Quote from: Staggerwing on October 24, 2013, 07:25:41 PM
AFA real Lego pieces go, when did you guys get your first bunch? I had them in my toy box as early as 1967 and we refers to the bits as 'Legos' (say that with a Dutch accent and it sounds like you are coughing up a lugie!) so I declare the plural form acceptable based on A priori usage.
Got my first Lego set when I was four or five.  It was a town set -- something like a mechanic's shop, I believe. 




Quote from: Darkspire on October 24, 2013, 07:43:04 PM
I have always wondered why a Lego Transformers has never been made, probably license problems. Could make a Zoids one though, that could be fun.

Darkspire
There actually are "Lego" Transformer sets, but they're made by a different company (hence they're not actually called Lego). 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bison on October 24, 2013, 07:32:48 PM
I say Legos for multiple Lego pieces on the floor.  "Hey, pick up your damned Legos so I stop stepping on them!   Or next time I throw the Legos in the trash can!."

+293485720394871023948572304985720349857230496871239458127.3508237460928347
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

I think I just had some ordinary blocks as my first set.  Just a bunch of 2x4 bricks and some odd other shapes and sizes, somewhere around '78 or so.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

DoctorQuest

I am from the Tinkertoy generation. I did a pretty good Fireball XL-5 in my day........
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.