Hunting - Crossbows

Started by Windigo, October 24, 2013, 09:14:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Grimnirsson

At least we agree on this one LongBlade.

Just let us drop this, it's nothing personal, I have nothing against the USA (I wouldn't be here otherwise), I have nothing against animal population control nor against hunting as such-  it seems to be simply a matter of extremely different perspectives that we talk past each other.
Let the dice decide who's right, shall we?  ;)
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Windigo

Quote from: Grimnirsson on October 24, 2013, 01:36:06 PM
I am not a fan of hunting...and hunting with a cross bow...you are a good shooter with that weapon, aren't you? You won't experiment with it...just trying to kill something...to get some experience with the cross bow...

I read a much later comment you made where you refer to this very early post of yours. Sorry I didn't answer it sooner.

I used to hunt ... many many years ago; rifle, shotgun, bow & arrow. My preference always was shotgun because my animal of choice was ruffed grouse... tasty eats. I always went to the range to get proficient with whatever weapon I was going to use.

I am a responsible respectful hunter. A large part of the enjoyment of hunting is getting to know your prey, your equipment and having a great excuse to be outdoors.

I firmly believe that hunting is a far more responsible and conscious way to put meat on the table than going down to Walmart and buying chicken parts - mainly because strictly buying from a store dissassociates you from the consequences of your actions and choices viz a vie eating meat. Factory farming animals is disgusting IMO and I actively chose products that minimize or avoid life degrading conditions for them.

Anyway, back to crossbows and hunting. It would be out of character for me to not become a decent shot with the thing prior to hunting anything. Its the right thing to do. I don't even begruge the fact that because target heads are typically lighter than the actual hunting heads on arrows and bolts that I'll eat about 150-200 dollars in busted hunting heads practicing on range.

I can say through my experience that I have not yet met a hunter that target practices on live game.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: Windigo on October 29, 2013, 11:58:50 AM

I firmly believe that hunting is a far more responsible and conscious way to put meat on the table than going down to Walmart and buying chicken parts - mainly because strictly buying from a store dissassociates you from the consequences of your actions and choices viz a vie eating meat. Factory farming animals is disgusting IMO and I actively chose products that minimize or avoid life degrading conditions for them.


I agree. Factory meat also lacks flavor. I once considered having a free range turkey farm. I know nothing about real farming so it stays a day dream. Happy turkeys make a superior Christmas dinner.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

GDS_Starfury

if you really want to use a crossbow and hunt boar then use one of these:



and if you just want to piss off some co-workers use this:


(I already here LB's wallet opening)
http://www.vat19.com/dvds/diy-wooden-ballista-kit.cfm   ;D
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Hiimori

Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

airboy

I have never heard of anyone, ever, in Alabama using a machine gun to hunt anything.  Hunting from a helicopter?  Impossible in Alabama because the degree of tree coverage over most anything with game would make it impossible. 

The only helicopter hunting I have ever heard of in the USA is for nuisance animals and the hunting is done by professionals.  Wolves and wild hogs are the only things I have ever heard of hunted from a copter.

There are 2 situations where I know people have used AR-15 variants (semi-auto) for large scale hunting.  One is pigs.  Wild pigs are an absolute menace.  Almost every game warden I have ever met requests that we shoot any pig we see out in the field.  The other time large magazine hunting rifles are used is for deer when there are nuisance permits issued because they are destroying crops.  Usually when a farmer has tags to kill 30 or so deer they bait the field, use multiple hunters in a field of fire design, and often spot-light them at night.

But both of these situations are pest control and not actually considered hunting.  But even then the pigs or deer are often put into flat bed trucks and taken to local processers to be turned into one pound meat packages and given to food banks for the poor.  In most Southern States there is a program where you can drop off a deer at the food bank and a charity will pay for the processing (it is Statewide in Alabama).

I probably hunt more than almost everyone on this forum.  I probably talk to more hunters on a routine basis than almost everyone on the forum.  Against popular delusions, in the USA hunters are the ones who pay for wild land under preservation, game wardens, and most other wildlife protection efforts.  There are more deer, bear, boar, wild cats, etc....... east of the Mississippi now than there have been since 1800.  In the Coastal states along the Atlantic there is more game now than there has been since the 1730s.  US population is increasingly urbanized - and large sections have gone back into forest.  You might read the book "Nature Wars" which is a concise and well footnoted source.

MikeGER

from the movie HPB (hollow point bullet)  :o

....any wild saw and piglets? ...Sometimes ... how do you shoot wild saw and piglets... Easy, just dont lead them to much  ...hahahah  ...aint pestcontrol hell
;)