Main Menu

RimWorld?

Started by steve58, November 01, 2013, 04:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

steve58

...a Kickstarter.  He wanted $20,000 (CAD).  Looks like he'll end up with $265,000+ (CAD).

I caved at the almost last minute and pledged $20.  Still an hour to go...

..also greenlited on Steam

Quote

RimWorld is a sci-fi colony sim driven by an intelligent AI storyteller. Inspired by Dwarf Fortress, Firefly, FTL, and Dune.

You begin with three survivors of a shipwreck on a distant world.
Construct buildings to hold living and eating spaces.
Grow food and mine rooms into the rock.
Trade with passing ships.
Decorate your colony to make it into a pleasurable space.
Defend yourself from pirates and ravenous creatures (especially squirrels).
Weather storms and fight fires.
Capture refugees or prisoners and turn them to your side or sell them into slavery.
Your colonists are not professional settlers – they're crashlanded survivors from a passenger liner destroyed in orbit. You can end up with a nobleman, an accountant, and, a housewife. You'll acquire more colonists by capturing them in combat and turning them to your side, buying them from slave traders, or taking in refugees. So your colony will always be a motley crew.
Each person's background is tracked and affects how they play. A nobleman will be great at social skills (recruiting prisoners, negotiating trade prices), but refuse to do physical work. A farm oaf knows how to grow food by long experience, but cannot do research. A nerdy scientist is great at research, but cannot do social tasks at all. A genetically engineered assassin can do nothing but kill – but he does that very well.

RimWorld is a story generator. It's designed to co-author tragic, twisted, and triumphant stories about imprisoned pirates, desperate colonists, starvation and survival. It works by controlling the "random" events that the world throws at you. Every thunderstorm, pirate raid, and traveling salesman is a card dealt into your story by the AI Storyteller.

There are several storytellers to choose from, and each one applies a different algorithm for generating random events. So Randy Random does crazy stuff, Cassandra Classic goes for rising tension, and Phoebe Friendly just makes good things happen. So if you want a different kind of story for your colony, you can just choose a different storyteller.

Find out more:
• At our development blog at http://ludeon.com
• By following me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/TynanSylvester

Happy Colonizing!
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

son_of_montfort

I just can't do it. He admitted to stealing the prototype graphics from Prison Tycoon, and that did not sit well with me. I have so many KS projects that have failed to materialize and not having the proper art ready was something that did not bode well, IMHO.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

undercovergeek

All my space colony hopes are pinned on maia which so far still looks great

steve58

#3
Quote from: son_of_montfort on November 01, 2013, 05:34:43 PM
I just can't do it. He admitted to stealing the prototype graphics from Prison Tycoon, and that did not sit well with me. I have so many KS projects that have failed to materialize and not having the proper art ready was something that did not bode well, IMHO.

*shrug* I don't know.  Seems like a lot of the kckstarters are going that route because they have a core game/idea, but need graphic help.  I think the dev was fairly up front about borrowing the PA graphic style.  With 13x the amount he was looking for, I think he'll be able to come up with some new/custom graphics...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Nefaro

Quote from: son_of_montfort on November 01, 2013, 05:34:43 PM
I just can't do it. He admitted to stealing the prototype graphics from Prison Tycoon, and that did not sit well with me. I have so many KS projects that have failed to materialize and not having the proper art ready was something that did not bode well, IMHO.

Hell, this is the first time I've seen it and I immediately thought it was a mod for Prison Tycoon.

Tpek

Quote from: son_of_montfort on November 01, 2013, 05:34:43 PM
I just can't do it. He admitted to stealing the prototype graphics from Prison Tycoon, and that did not sit well with me. I have so many KS projects that have failed to materialize and not having the proper art ready was something that did not bode well, IMHO.

Do you mean Prison Architect?
Because this looks nothing like the Prison Tycoon series. :P

Nefaro

Quote from: Tpek on November 02, 2013, 11:28:39 AM
Quote from: son_of_montfort on November 01, 2013, 05:34:43 PM
I just can't do it. He admitted to stealing the prototype graphics from Prison Tycoon, and that did not sit well with me. I have so many KS projects that have failed to materialize and not having the proper art ready was something that did not bode well, IMHO.

Do you mean Prison Architect?
Because this looks nothing like the Prison Tycoon series. :P

Yes, Prison Architect.

Doah!

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Tpek on November 02, 2013, 11:28:39 AM
Quote from: son_of_montfort on November 01, 2013, 05:34:43 PM
I just can't do it. He admitted to stealing the prototype graphics from Prison Tycoon, and that did not sit well with me. I have so many KS projects that have failed to materialize and not having the proper art ready was something that did not bode well, IMHO.

Do you mean Prison Architect?
Because this looks nothing like the Prison Tycoon series. :P

Oops! Yes, that is what I mean! Like Steve said, the dev is supposed to put the KS funds toward art assets. But I can't put more money towards unknown devs, I've been burnt too much on that. I, too, am looking forward to Maia.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Tpek

Quote from: son_of_montfort on November 02, 2013, 12:23:03 PM
Quote from: Tpek on November 02, 2013, 11:28:39 AM
Quote from: son_of_montfort on November 01, 2013, 05:34:43 PM
I just can't do it. He admitted to stealing the prototype graphics from Prison Tycoon, and that did not sit well with me. I have so many KS projects that have failed to materialize and not having the proper art ready was something that did not bode well, IMHO.

Do you mean Prison Architect?
Because this looks nothing like the Prison Tycoon series. :P

Oops! Yes, that is what I mean! Like Steve said, the dev is supposed to put the KS funds toward art assets. But I can't put more money towards unknown devs, I've been burnt too much on that. I, too, am looking forward to Maia.

Maia?

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!


skeptical.platypus

Is anyone playing Maia? It just caught my eye on Steam's update summaryies. I'm missing the prison architect graphics comparison, but that may be an old story.
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

undercovergeek

Sorry to dig up such an old thread

i forget where but i recently read an article about this, it sounds awesome - a cross between dwarf fortress and prison architect with a space theme

theres some great lets plays on youtube - i might buy in

-budd-

I've been keeping tabs on it. It just never hit a decent sale price during the sales.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Jarhead0331

This is finally out on Steam. A little disappointed by the $29.99 price tag. Anyone still playing this? Is it worth it?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18