War Thunder Global beta keys

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, October 01, 2012, 01:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Huw the Poo

#75
Quote from: RooksBailey on August 15, 2013, 08:44:38 PM
Has it?  I recently joined War Thunder via the main website/client.  If I knew it was on Steam, I would have signed up via that rather than use the client.  I wonder if I can transfer over to Steam....

I used the main client too, because Steam's search can't differentiate between WarThunder and War Thunder.  ::)

However, apparently you can do this.  I'm copying the data now, will report back.

Edit: Yep, it worked just as described.  Steam has discovered it and it's now downloading a further 900-odd MB.  No idea why.

Bardolph

I've been dabbling in WoT again lately and was thinking of giving War Thunder another try too ( I messed with it during the beta but uninstalled).
I was trying to figure out if it was better to go via Steam or to go through the main website. Pros and cons?

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Bardolph on November 03, 2013, 02:04:34 PM
I was trying to figure out if it was better to go via Steam or to go through the main website. Pros and cons?

Either way, you'll still be using the game's own launcher.  But if you install via Steam you'll have the community overlay and it's easier to connect with others you know who play the game.  Plus, it can always be said that it's good advertising for the developer. :)

Nefaro

Quote from: Bardolph on November 03, 2013, 02:04:34 PM
I've been dabbling in WoT again lately and was thinking of giving War Thunder another try too ( I messed with it during the beta but uninstalled).
I was trying to figure out if it was better to go via Steam or to go through the main website. Pros and cons?

Doesn't matter.  WT has an in-game buddy list and chat features nowadays so unless you wanna keep your Steam overlay pop-ups and stuff going while you play, there isn't much difference.


Tip:

If you're using mouse & keyboard, I suggest setting up both the "Mouse Aim" Control Tab's key bindings to what you want, along with some of the extra commands on the second tab named "Simplified Controls".  I believe the Simplified set contains a few that are still usable in Mouse Aim (speed brakes maybe?  And something else?) so go through that list if you want to change those keybindings.  Just make sure you select the "Mouse Aim" tab again before saving, otherwise you'll use "Simplified's" mouse control scheme which is completely different (you no want!)!!

I think you may have to set your 'mouse aim' controls to inverted, depending on your preference.  If you have the "Mouse Aim" scheme set, you should just have a circle which you can move with your mouse - the aircraft will roll, yaw, and turn to put the crosshairs on that spot as best it can.  Very straightforward.  However, it tends to wanna always roll your aircraft back upright even when you try to loop so I suggest also mapping the three flight surfaces to WASDQE keys (or whatever your preference) after you get a feel for it.  This is so that you can override the 'flight assist' when you need to make tight pulls while inverted or fancier looping.

Also.. you have to set most of your graphics options in the launcher, not in-game.  I believe the full list is accessed by a cog symbol on the launcher, IIRC.  The gfx engine actually runs very efficiently in WT.. something not many 3D games can boast these days.  My new rig acts like it's sitting idle when running the game nearly max'd.

Bardolph

Thanks for the input gents. I played WT with mouse and keyboard when I tried it because I couldn't be arsed to pull out the HOTAS but now I've got a cheap stick with twisty rudder and will probably try that. I had messed about with Wings of Prey on Steam ages ago and Birds of Steel or whatever the Xbox version was and WT seems pretty similar in many ways. Kind of gamey, though very nice looking.

I'm still searching for the game that will bring back the good times of Air Warrior though I know it cannot happen. I tried Aces High for awhile and it just didn't have "it", whatever "it" was that AW had. Partly to blame too I suppose is there are guys playing now who have more virtual hours of flight time than all the pilots of WWII put together  ;D

Cheers!

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Bardolph on November 04, 2013, 12:51:34 AM
Partly to blame too I suppose is there are guys playing now who have more virtual hours of flight time than all the pilots of WWII put together  ;D

Oh, don't worry - there are plenty of really thick people playing WarThunder. :D

The number of people I've shot down because they insist on approaching my Havoc directly from the rear...

undercovergeek


Huw the Poo

Hooray Geek! I'm looking forward to blowing you out of the skies! :D

JudgeDredd

What's a Havoc?

I might give this a pop too. Online only I guess, and I'm not a massive fan of online play - but I dipped out on World of Tanks, so maybe I should give this a look.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Nefaro


eyebiter

.
#85
.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Have they fixed historical battles yet?  I gave up almost a year ago because the arcade stuff wasn't really my cup of tea but the historical battles weren't really fleshed out at that point.  Tier balancing was off.  Objectives still seemed pretty arcade and the whining and acrimony over flight models was astounding. 

Maybe I'll give it another whirl.  I wonder if my stats are still active. 

undercovergeek

so...............

played for 30 mins - 6 kills, 6 deaths - had a great time

quick questions - can you earn the red currency or do you have to pay ££ - will i ever get a hurricane just by playing the game?

planes with turrets - does an AI man those or can you switch in game?

Huw the Poo

Quote from: undercovergeek on November 10, 2013, 07:12:57 AM
played for 30 mins - 6 kills, 6 deaths - had a great time

Yeah, the matchmaking system seems to work well from what I've seen so far.  As a noob I am clearly being matched against other noobs and it's not unreasonable to expect a good k/d ratio out of the gate.  Glad you're enjoying it!

Quotequick questions - can you earn the red currency or do you have to pay ££ - will i ever get a hurricane just by playing the game?

There are ways to earn them...one way I've seen is to take part in events (you should see a button on the left on the hangar screen).  However, you can buy a particularly generous amount with little money.  I spent 3 EUR and still haven't run out. :)  I'm 90% certain I got my Hurricane by just playing.  In fact, unless I'm mistaken you can't just drop some cash and buy anything you want anyway.

Quoteplanes with turrets - does an AI man those or can you switch in game?

Yes. :D

AI will drive any spot you're not currently occupying.  You can earn XP to allocate to your crews, to improve their aim for example.  But you can man any position you want.  Not sure whether the AI will fly your plane for you though.

undercovergeek

lol - this is going to be awesome - im upgrading to wirraway right now