The Ultimate Tease for Pandora: First Contact

Started by Lord Zimoa, November 13, 2013, 01:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


Martok

Giggity!  I'm really looking forward to this one. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

PanzersEast

I assume this is closer to a Civ style game than a Alpha Centauri....


PE

bbmike

Quote from: PanzersEast on November 13, 2013, 02:59:47 PM
I assume this is closer to a Civ style game than a Alpha Centauri....


PE
After playing the beta I would have to say much closer to Alpha Centauri.  :)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

steve58

LZ - Thanks for the early glimpse at the "manual".  Will the game come with additional docs that cover gameplay, units, etc or will those topics be covered (hopefully) in a help/encyclopedia-type feature???
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

mikeck

Quote from: bbmike on November 13, 2013, 03:27:55 PM
Quote from: PanzersEast on November 13, 2013, 02:59:47 PM
I assume this is closer to a Civ style game than a Alpha Centauri....


PE
After playing the beta I would have to say much closer to Alpha Centauri.  :)

Looks like the factions are identical to SMAC except for the names. You have the spartan guys, the religious guys, the hive guys, the money guys, the scientist Gus and the tree huggers commanded of course, by a young girl. They didn't even try to distinguish them from SMAC.

Personally, this is a plus for me since any similarities with SMAC are good!
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

eyebiter

.
#6
.

tgb

Quote from: eyebiter on November 14, 2013, 01:26:01 AM
http://pandora.proxy-studios.com/

PC, Mac, and Linux - good idea

The earth background on each page of the manual looks nice, however trying to print that PDF will drain ink reserves fast. 

You might want consider a version of the manual with no background image and traditional black text for those who want to print the PDF.

There is a printable version that comes with the game.  I know the NDA is being lifted today, but I think it has to be available for purchase first.  When it is, I'll have plenty to say about this and SMAC.

PanzersEast

#8
Quote from: tgb on November 14, 2013, 08:56:18 AM
Quote from: eyebiter on November 14, 2013, 01:26:01 AM
http://pandora.proxy-studios.com/

PC, Mac, and Linux - good idea

The earth background on each page of the manual looks nice, however trying to print that PDF will drain ink reserves fast. 

You might want consider a version of the manual with no background image and traditional black text for those who want to print the PDF.

There is a printable version that comes with the game.  I know the NDA is being lifted today, but I think it has to be available for purchase first.  When it is, I'll have plenty to say about this and SMAC.

I look forward to hearing your feedback.... because if it is close to SMAC, then it is an insta-buy for me.  I remember seeing this game, however did not follow development of it.


JA gave it a positive review and said it was a worthy successor to SMAC.... with capable AI and good game mechanics (specifically native alien creatures that eventually turn hostile, random order of Tech tree, etc.....).

PE

FlickJax

it was on Matrix site as being released today but seems to have disappeared.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


spelk

James gives it a decent enought write up..

"While the game lacks significant innovation, those looking for a modern take on Alpha Centauri will not be disappointed."

http://www.outofeight.info/2013/11/pandora-first-contact-gameplay-review.html

PanzersEast

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 14, 2013, 09:59:10 AM
Release is today, isn't it?

Today is suppose to be the day.... but have not seen much activity.



PE

MikeGER

... in the meantime ;D

shouldn't the The Ultimate Tease for Pandora  look like that and not a half a pdf file ;)


steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)