The 2013 Black Friday B.S. Thread

Started by BanzaiCat, November 27, 2013, 12:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

BanzaiCat

I say "B.S." because I HATE BLACK FRIDAY. I don't like going out wanting to purchase something when you can't count on the product being there after waiting for hours. But it looks like there's a Vizio TV at Sam's Club that my father-in-law said he'd pay us back for if we got it.

I see that it's available online starting midnight tonight (I hope I'm reading that right), so now I get to wait 13 hours to see if I'm correct, to see if Sam's Club's website decides to crash or run slow as crap, or even if the damn thing will be there seconds after midnight. I really don't want to have to go stand in line at 10pm tomorrow night in the fleeting hopes of getting what I want.

I've done this twice before, both times in recent years, and both times managed to score what I wanted to get (laptops in both cases). So I'm 2-0 and hesitant to screw up that record. Which, I think, is a better record than either of my Fantasy Football teams right now.

Anyone planning on braving the elements and crowds this year? If so, what are you looking to get? I've seen folks posting game wishes throughout several threads.

Martok

I've never, not once, gone shopping on Black Friday.  In fact, I usually make a point of not even leaving the house. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Dolan50

Same for me.
The savings aren't worth the hassle of dealing with the mobs that show up for them.
I prefer a more relaxed shopping atmosphere.
A Corporate Executive,a Democrat and a Republican walk into a room.The CEO walks in first and notices 10 cookies on a plate and pockets 9 of them,then turns to the Republican and whispers in his ear  and says "The Democrat is trying to steal your cookie".

Steelgrave

I did Black Friday 4am BS one time and one time only. Never again.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 27, 2013, 12:05:30 PMAnyone planning on braving the elements and crowds this year? If so, what are you looking to get? I've seen folks posting game wishes throughout several threads.

I'm going to Panera to pick up some bread to go with the gumbo that afternoon.  If the bread happens to be on sale, that's a bonus, but not expected.  And I'm walking, so no need to fight for parking.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Gusington

I will never ever EVER do anything even near a mall on Black Friday. Ever.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Dolan50

I plan on spending Friday relaxing and playing my favorite wargames,surfing the internet and knocking off the left overs from Thanksgiving.

Also, reading the news about whatever horror this years Black Friday produces and thankful I can't think of anything to buy that would make it necessary for me to participate in it.
LOL.
A Corporate Executive,a Democrat and a Republican walk into a room.The CEO walks in first and notices 10 cookies on a plate and pockets 9 of them,then turns to the Republican and whispers in his ear  and says "The Democrat is trying to steal your cookie".

BanzaiCat


Gusington

Forgot about what Dolan mentioned...someone, somewhere, will be a stampede victim at one of the big box stores.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Or get into a fistfight. I've been to two Black Fridays, both at a Wal-Mart. The second time, a couple of idiots came to blows an aisle over, over...I can't even remember what it was, but it was in the Electronics section, so God knows it must have been worth having the cops drag them away.

MetalDog

I worked in retail for almost ten years.  Black Friday was my second favorite day to Christmas Eve.  Nothing like showing up for a nine hour shift, getting out on the floor, looking up at the clock and realizing nine hours had FLOWN by!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Steelgrave

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 27, 2013, 03:55:07 PM
Or get into a fistfight. I've been to two Black Fridays, both at a Wal-Mart. The second time, a couple of idiots came to blows an aisle over, over...I can't even remember what it was, but it was in the Electronics section, so God knows it must have been worth having the cops drag them away.

When I managed a Starbucks in California I had that happen on Christmas Day. One store per district is always open on Christmas, staffed by volunteers. Two morons waiting in line for coffee actually got into a fistfight over who was in line next. Since I had four deputies sitting at a table, it wasn't their best move.

Gusington

Getting into a fight at Starbucks? That's almost as bad as fighting for a Tickle Me Elmo.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

Quote from: Gusington on November 27, 2013, 08:17:38 PM
Getting into a fight at Starbucks? That's almost as bad as fighting for a Tickle Me Elmo.


Folks love their coffee  ::)

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd