"The" Holidays Game Sale Damage Thread

Started by -budd-, November 27, 2013, 11:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I just finished playing Metro:Last Light a few days ago.  God damn but that us one good looking game.

Father Ted

Quote from: sandman2575 on December 01, 2013, 03:00:17 PM
Tempted by Rise of Flight Channel Battles Edition.  Usually my 'can't pass it up' requirement is in the $15 or less area, so at a sale price of $25 I still have some willpower to resist.  Worth it?

RoF is a great sim, but whether it's a great game is another question.  It's a proper sim which you'll need to learn, and perhps buy hardware for, to really enjoy.  If you've not tried it before and you're worried about the cost, you can still download the FTP version - if you like that then $25 for CBE is a good deal.

PanzersEast

Just added:

Survivor Squad  $4.49
FE:LE The Dead World DLC $2.49


Would like Splinter Cell: Black List, but I am looking for low low deals....


Played some of Prison Architect..... so far I really like the game.

PE

sandman2575

Quote from: Father Ted on December 01, 2013, 05:17:27 PM
Quote from: sandman2575 on December 01, 2013, 03:00:17 PM
Tempted by Rise of Flight Channel Battles Edition.  Usually my 'can't pass it up' requirement is in the $15 or less area, so at a sale price of $25 I still have some willpower to resist.  Worth it?

RoF is a great sim, but whether it's a great game is another question.  It's a proper sim which you'll need to learn, and perhps buy hardware for, to really enjoy.  If you've not tried it before and you're worried about the cost, you can still download the FTP version - if you like that then $25 for CBE is a good deal.

Thanks Father Ted.  Curious about your 'great sim but maybe not a great game' distinction -- care to elaborate?  I thought RoF had added  a Career mode that was absent when it was first released (?) -- recall a lot of unfavorable comparisons to Over Flanders Fields (which had a terrific campaign / career mode) for that reason.  Anyway I would have thought that a Career mode would go some way toward making it into a good game, not just sim -- ?

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Tinkershuffle on December 01, 2013, 02:58:18 AM
So far I've only bought LA Noire. I'm paying attention if Arma3 goes below -33%. From Matrix I'll probably finally pick up Command Ops at some point.

You can get arma 3 key here for about $35.  Not sure if cheap enough for you.

http://www.kinguin.net/category/2578/arma-3-steam-key/

MengJiao

Quote from: PanzersEast on November 30, 2013, 02:39:05 AM
Still holding at:

Prison Architect    $14.99
Sanctum 2 DLC     $ 1.58


Don't think I am purchasing anything else, nothing on Wishlist getting any cheaper.....  but will probably get the FE:LH - The Dead World DLC for $ 2.49. 


PE

   I may get DCS combined arms at 50% off.

smittyohio

I think (hope) I'm done for the holiday.... at least until the Christmas sales.   I mean, I must have enough games in my collection already to keep me busy for the next 10 years... I really wish I was exaggerating... I need help.

Matrix
Battle Academy and all of the expansions
Commander: The Great War

Steam
Terraria   (suprisingly addictive...)
Commandos 1, 2, and 3
Final Fantasy VII
Rogue Legacy

GoG
Capitalism 2

Bison

I broke my Logitec headset and replaced them at a post-black Friday sale today with some Logitec G430 that were on sale.  Sound AWESOME! 

Anguille

So far, i don't plan to buy anything.

- No money... :-\
- No time... :o
- Plenty of games i already have and should play... ::)

undercovergeek

£6 Fallen Enchantress:LE
£3 Contagion

Huw and Bob are in too - MP zombie blasting abounds - Bob will not be allowed anything lethal to carry

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

undercovergeek

to be honest just his 'dont fk with me glare' and biker moustache should do it, but we'll give him a pan to make him feel at home

JasonPratt

Quote from: sandman2575 on December 01, 2013, 05:22:32 PM
Quote from: Father Ted on December 01, 2013, 05:17:27 PM
Quote from: sandman2575 on December 01, 2013, 03:00:17 PM
Tempted by Rise of Flight Channel Battles Edition.  Usually my 'can't pass it up' requirement is in the $15 or less area, so at a sale price of $25 I still have some willpower to resist.  Worth it?

RoF is a great sim, but whether it's a great game is another question.  It's a proper sim which you'll need to learn, and perhps buy hardware for, to really enjoy.  If you've not tried it before and you're worried about the cost, you can still download the FTP version - if you like that then $25 for CBE is a good deal.

Thanks Father Ted.  Curious about your 'great sim but maybe not a great game' distinction -- care to elaborate?  I thought RoF had added  a Career mode that was absent when it was first released (?) -- recall a lot of unfavorable comparisons to Over Flanders Fields (which had a terrific campaign / career mode) for that reason.  Anyway I would have thought that a Career mode would go some way toward making it into a good game, not just sim -- ?


The official career mode is beta (and the campaign modes are canned: just a string of missions with a story loosely included plus the game's psychotic-sounding English dialogue. ;) ) There is an unofficial career generator available at the RoF site for free which takes a bit of fiddling to set up, but is continually supported and upgraded, and purportedly is much better, including with AI tweaks. I've got it, and have set up a mission a few days ago, but due to holiday/nieces haven't played it the generated mission yet.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Father Ted

Quote from: JasonPratt on December 02, 2013, 08:47:37 AM
Quote from: sandman2575 on December 01, 2013, 05:22:32 PM
Quote from: Father Ted on December 01, 2013, 05:17:27 PM
Quote from: sandman2575 on December 01, 2013, 03:00:17 PM
Tempted by Rise of Flight Channel Battles Edition.  Usually my 'can't pass it up' requirement is in the $15 or less area, so at a sale price of $25 I still have some willpower to resist.  Worth it?

RoF is a great sim, but whether it's a great game is another question.  It's a proper sim which you'll need to learn, and perhps buy hardware for, to really enjoy.  If you've not tried it before and you're worried about the cost, you can still download the FTP version - if you like that then $25 for CBE is a good deal.

Thanks Father Ted.  Curious about your 'great sim but maybe not a great game' distinction -- care to elaborate?  I thought RoF had added  a Career mode that was absent when it was first released (?) -- recall a lot of unfavorable comparisons to Over Flanders Fields (which had a terrific campaign / career mode) for that reason.  Anyway I would have thought that a Career mode would go some way toward making it into a good game, not just sim -- ?


The official career mode is beta (and the campaign modes are canned: just a string of missions with a story loosely included plus the game's psychotic-sounding English dialogue. ;) ) There is an unofficial career generator available at the RoF site for free which takes a bit of fiddling to set up, but is continually supported and upgraded, and purportedly is much better, including with AI tweaks. I've got it, and have set up a mission a few days ago, but due to holiday/nieces haven't played it the generated mission yet.

Just to elaborate...I've never touched the career or campaign, I've just read mutterings in some quarters that the single player mode lacks atmosphere and immersion.  Hence just flying the different crates around in the (IMO) great scenery makes it a great sim, but I'm not sure how much game there is.  Having said that a lot of people do take on the beta career.

As an experience I think MP is fantastic in RoF.  For me that has bags of atmosphere, but it can be difficult to get into.  In the end I think you'll get much more than $25 worth of entertainment from it.

sandman2575

appreciate the feedback, guys.  I went ahead and bought it -- $25 doesn't really count as bank-breaking, I think, and shortcomings and all it sounds well worth it. 

...of course, Wings over Flanders Fields is coming out soon, but hey, I guess you can never have too many WWI flight sims --