Main Menu

WitP:AE

Started by JudgeDredd, December 09, 2013, 04:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JudgeDredd

I'm playing the Guadalcanal mission just now - just for giggles - and I created a Transport TF in Brisbane so I could transport some troops (Brisbane has LOADS) to Port Moresby...but when I select my Task Force and select Load Troops, the only units showing are 1 Aussie HQ unit and 3 RAAF units...none of the front line troops are showing.

If all the numbers showing are correct, then I have plenty of space to load troops and supplied on my 5 ship TF (built with xAPs which are civilian converted troop carriers). I docked the task force in case that was the difference, but looking in the manual docking only affects speed of transfer. I also changed the Command for the TF to the same as the land units in case that had an effect - but no joy - they never show up in the list of available units to load.

Any ideas?

I know I can/should ask at Matrix - but I'd rather not if poss

Thanks
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Yskonyn

:) I commend you for trying, JD!

I have tried to take on this beast of a game countless times now, but I just get stuck fiddling with the UI every single time. It's a bit like CMANO. :)
Good luck!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Tuna

Been too long since I played to have any ideas... Does AE have the same tutorial to follow in the manual that Vanilla had? Helped me get 'into' the game.

Swatter

I played Pacific War a great deal, but I just couldn't get into War in the Pacific (maybe if I was retired). Knowing Grigsby's game systems, they probably have to be activated and have enough readiness. Some units are probably held back (player non-usable) for static defense of certain locations.

JudgeDredd

^ I did think because this is a smaller scenario perhaps I just cannot move them...but a) why have them there and b) why not tell me (in a more obvious way) that they cannot be transported

Well - I have 5 xAP's sitting docked in Brisbane with nothing to do and Port Moresby has some japs heading towards it and I only have 1 unit in the way. I was hoping to bolster them - but it seems I can't  :D
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

undercovergeek

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 09, 2013, 05:18:46 PM
^ I did think because this is a smaller scenario perhaps I just cannot move them...but a) why have them there and b) why not tell me (in a more obvious way) that they cannot be transported

Well - I have 5 xAP's sitting docked in Brisbane with nothing to do and Port Moresby has some japs heading towards it and I only have 1 unit in the way. I was hoping to bolster them - but it seems I can't  :D

IIRC there are certain troops and planes that cannot be moved - you could try and change the command of the troops - its got nothing to do with the ships - if thats greyed for the troops then theyre Austrailia HQ and wont go anywhere else

JudgeDredd

^ looks like you could be right. These units are highlighted as "(R)estricted Attached" and the HQ unit that I CAN load is Unrestricted.

Thanks
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

undercovergeek

thats the one - from my playing days it was one of the most asked questions on the forum - there are some in restricted commands that can be changed and then moved, and then there are some that are simply not going anywhere

im glad you jumped in - i hope you enjoy it, although i dont play anymore, its very rewarding when it all makes sense - im hoping to hit that wall with CMANO soon

sandman2575

Quote from: undercovergeek on December 09, 2013, 05:25:35 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 09, 2013, 05:18:46 PM
^ I did think because this is a smaller scenario perhaps I just cannot move them...but a) why have them there and b) why not tell me (in a more obvious way) that they cannot be transported

Well - I have 5 xAP's sitting docked in Brisbane with nothing to do and Port Moresby has some japs heading towards it and I only have 1 unit in the way. I was hoping to bolster them - but it seems I can't  :D

IIRC there are certain troops and planes that cannot be moved - you could try and change the command of the troops - its got nothing to do with the ships - if thats greyed for the troops then theyre Austrailia HQ and wont go anywhere else

^this.  Oz has lots of troops, but most have a restricted HQ "[R]".  Any unit, air or land, with such an HQ can never leave the mainland it's based on.  Most restricted HQs are 'permanently' restricted, meaning the units attached can never be reassigned to another HQ (ideally one without any movement restrictions). But some are only 'temporarily' restricted, meaning that if you have enough political points, you can 'buy' them by reassigning them to an unrestricted HQ.

Anyway, lots of tantalizing troops in Oz, Western US,  etc, but they're there to defend the homeland (or destined for ETO), and so aren't as useful as they appear...

JudgeDredd

That's a shame - there are some nice powerful looking units there - and I need the buggers at Port Moresby!  ;D
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

SgtRock

#10
TF mission Types  / Troop Status

Transport  /  Strategic
Amphibious / Combat

Don't forget to reset the troops back to Combat after unloading!

You really should use Amphibious TF missions when moving troops to a forward base, they will unload faster and you won't run into the port/base size restrictions/limitations when unloading.

You may also need to change the troops to an unrestricted command.





Toonces

Yep, don't forget to change the troop status to Strategic or they're not going anywhere.  That confused me for a while I know!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Yskonyn

I was thinking;
JD, you and I seem to have run into the same problems withAE before and now that you are taking another good look I kinda feel obligated to do so as well. :)
Perhaps it boosts morale if we know there another person out there struggling with it too! :)

The hard part for me is keeping track of which sighting report or what attack happened where? After the phases play out I have had a shitload of attack animations but I find it hard to assess what just happened, where did it happen and what are the consequences.
The animations are played so quickly.
How do you solve this?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Herman Hum

Quote from: Yskonyn on December 10, 2013, 02:02:44 AM
The animations are played so quickly.
How do you solve this?
The animations can be slowed down.  It is a game setting  I cannot remember which one, but you can slow them down in the scenario selection launcher.
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions

JudgeDredd

^What he said.

Oh - good...two people trying to work stuff out. Maybe between us we can have out own "The Thread"? (take us a while to get there though)  ;D

As default (I haven't touched any options) the combat animations play out down the bottom right hand side and then there's a report that shows. The Coast Watcher sightings are the things that surprise me - they are fast, but as HH said, you can slow them down in the options somewhere.

I'm only playing the Guadalcanal scenario - so it's much easier I guess to see the combat because it's only happening in a few places and I know the names (Lunga for example). I would think I would struggle knowing where all the combat took place in a campaign.

If the game doesn't have a "Show Me" (which I haven't seen) much like CMANO then it needs one.  :D
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people