The Anti-Sale Thread :: Best Freeware Games

Started by PanzersEast, December 10, 2013, 04:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

PanzersEast

There are good games to be had for free, although I am not strong enough to pass up some sales..... I thought maybe a thread of favorite free-ware games to fuel the anti-sale thread for those who refuse to spend yet another kingdoms worth of money.....  list your favorite free-ware games.


Dwarf Fortress
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
The most in-depth game out there.... build, kill, and survive.

Unreal World
http://www.unrealworld.fi
Can you survive in the Iron Age of Finland.  Winter is coming.... survival game that is great.

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/
The title says it all......

Aurora 4x
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php
I recommend it, even though I have yet to learn it.... yea I know.

Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
http://en.cataclysmdda.com
If you can get past the ASCII graphics, it is very fun and very tense.



PE

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Jack Nastyface

Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

spelk

I'd like to to put forth a lot of roguelikes worth playing

Tales of Maj'Eyal (TOME4)
http://te4.org/

Doom RL
http://doom.chaosforge.org/

Powder
http://www.zincland.com/powder/

Any roguelike from the 7 Day Roguelike (7DRL) Challenge from Zincland
http://www.zincland.com/

QuickHack
http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=QuickHack

HyperRogue
http://www.roguetemple.com/z/hyper.php

And now the non roguelikes:

Elements Card Game
http://www.elementsthegame.com/

Panzer General Forever
http://www.pgforever.info/

Field of Strategy
http://tpgames.free.fr/FoS/index2.html

STAVKA-OKH
http://www.rodvik.com/rodgames/STAVKA-OKH.html

Armor Games has a bucketload of games available to play free on the web, but its finding the good ones thats the trick.. heres a couple

Monster Den Chronicles
http://armorgames.com/play/13132/monsters-den-chronicles

Warfare 1944
http://armorgames.com/play/4071/warfare-1944

Rune Raiders
http://armorgames.com/play/13307/rune-raiders

Yskonyn

Path of Exile - free game and does everything right what Diablo 3 did not!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."


Nefaro

Quote from: Yskonyn on December 11, 2013, 04:17:04 AM
Path of Exile - free game and does everything right what Diablo 3 did not!

Have they expanded the content and stability since it's release?  I kinda enjoyed it at the time but the thing kept crashing, would run my video card pretty hot,  and there wasn't much variety in the monsters initially.

I hope they've improved all that recently.

Ubercat

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 10, 2013, 05:22:45 PM
Wesnoth

freaking awesome game

This is really good for what it does. Did they ever make any sandbox type scenarios? I tried this years ago and after playing part way through a campaign I remember wishing that I could play an open game with a bunch of AI opponents that included many different factions.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

bayonetbrant

not that I've seen recently.  I'm honestly afraid to download and re-install b/c I know I'll lose the next 4 months of my life playing it.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

spelk

Thinking along the lines of Wesnoth (but not free), did anyone ever play Styrateg?

http://www.rakeingrass.com/game_styrateg.php

I remember getting a similar vibe from it yonks ago.