Main Menu

Steam Down

Started by LongBlade, December 10, 2013, 11:33:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

LongBlade

Wow. You don't see this very often. Steam appears to be offline.

Been that way for a few minutes.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Martok

Yep, it's down for me too. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Tpek

#2
It's up now.

Also, it was down as well a couple of days ago.

I wonder whether it's simply something like too many people trying to get in, or does it occur because of some malign acts.

EDIT: Seems though that the client still can't connect to their servers.

Jarhead0331

I heard they are filing for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection. Could have something to do with that?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Barthheart

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 10, 2013, 12:22:26 PM
I heard they are filing for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection. Could have something to do with that?

WOW! Way to start a riot!  ;D

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

LongBlade

Quote from: Barthheart on December 10, 2013, 12:25:34 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 10, 2013, 12:22:26 PM
I heard they are filing for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection. Could have something to do with that?

WOW! Way to start a riot!  ;D

No kidding. That's plain evil.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

sandman2575

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 10, 2013, 12:22:26 PM
I heard they are filing for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection. Could have something to do with that?

Let the DRM Prophets of Doom arise to berate us consumers who only "thought" we owned our games!  Oh, what fools we were to place our trust in the false deity of Steam!

...oh wait, false alarm --

SgtRock

Steam is one of the largest sellers of games, I don't anyone has to worry about it going out of business, buyout maybe sometime in the future. Now if Battlefront went out of Business I would worry because they have no control of that third party DRM they use.

Silent Disapproval Robot

People said Direct2Drive was safe too and look what happened.  Still waiting to get access to my full library.

Nefaro

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 15, 2013, 01:36:29 PM
People said Direct2Drive was safe too and look what happened.  Still waiting to get access to my full library.

.. and they were bought out.

It can happen to any company.  The new one can dick around all it wants, too, if it even bothers.  As we see with the D2D debacle.  :-\


DOOM!!1   :P

mikeck

In the end. We have little choice. If you don't want to buy from Steam, Desura or Gamersgate because you don't "own" the game...them good luck finding games you want. I don't like not have I g a hard copy which is why I love matrix...I get the digital download now and a hard copy later.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Nefaro

Quote from: mikeck on December 15, 2013, 04:43:42 PM
In the end. We have little choice. If you don't want to buy from Steam, Desura or Gamersgate because you don't "own" the game...them good luck finding games you want. I don't like not have I g a hard copy which is why I love matrix...I get the digital download now and a hard copy later.

You can still get login-independent installers from Desura and Gamersgate, however.  So you can still make physical backups that don't require using the retailers software or website to install.

Even though I've been falling behind on making backups of my latest purchases (so many!), I've still done so with most of the ones with which I could do so.  Can't do that with Steam purchases, unfortunately. 

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Nefaro on December 15, 2013, 04:38:00 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 15, 2013, 01:36:29 PM
People said Direct2Drive was safe too and look what happened.  Still waiting to get access to my full library.

.. and they were bought out.

It can happen to any company.  The new one can dick around all it wants, too, if it even bothers.  As we see with the D2D debacle.  :-\


DOOM!!1   :P

Actually, I quite like Gamefly's webstore. I usually use it to buy Steam codes, however.

We still have little choice, as Mike said, because many games are releasing Steam-dependent. So even if you don't buy from Steam, you still have to use Steam. This is even a thing in the indie world, now that they have early-access.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Arctic Blast

Is it possible Steam gets bought out? Sure. But it's going to cost someone a massive amount more than D2D went for. I'm not really worried about it happening any time soon.