Main Menu

WitP:AE

Started by JudgeDredd, December 09, 2013, 04:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Herman Hum

These Red/Yellow functions aren't mentioned in the manual because they were added as a result of patches.
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions

BanzaiCat

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 10, 2013, 06:20:42 PM
Fair point Sgt Rock.

And thanks for the other tips peeps. I am skimming the manual at various sections (no point in me reading it - I have quite a bad short term memory and so there's no benefit to me reading a manual)

I wrote the manual to the original...don't bother! LOL - unless you miss the days of Avalon Hill legal manuals. I don't even remember any specifics from it, only that it was a BEAST to put together. Uncommon Valor was a bit better and was indeed the basis for WitP.

JudgeDredd

I wish when games are updated they would update the manual

Thanks guys.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Staggerwing

I have the original WITP but have yet to install it. Does the Admiral's Ed. make it easier or harder to play?



(Why do I have the feeling the answer is 'both'... ???)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JudgeDredd

Both  :P

Just kidding - I wouldn't know. A proper grog would have to tell you
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Toonces

I think it makes it much harder, personally.  The only thing I really like better about AE, and it's a big thing, is the ability to set waypoints for your task forces.  It was one of the most frustrating missing features from vanilla, where you wanted to get from point A to point B, but stay out of range of some enemy outpost that you had to detour around. 

AE is a monument to micro management.  The level of detail is way too into the weeds IMO. 

But, I have been thinking of firing it back up.   8)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Yskonyn

I am still at it as well... aren't we all a bunch of masochists?!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

undercovergeek


Yskonyn

Enjoying.. I am not sure, but it does still intrigue me.
I should enjoy the game for its setting and its ability to tinker with details, but I am not there yet...
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Herman Hum

It's like trying to write an entire dictionary using one mouse-click / letter. :(
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions

undercovergeek

Quote from: Herman Hum on December 15, 2013, 06:44:51 PM
It's like trying to write an entire dictionary using one mouse-click / letter. :(

how so?

Toonces

Quote from: Herman Hum on December 15, 2013, 06:44:51 PM
It's like trying to write an entire dictionary using one mouse-click / letter. :(

You know, that's not a bad analogy at all.

I can't really explain it, UCG, but trust me, it's fairly accurate.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

undercovergeek

lol, i spent 6 years playing it, and nothing else and i never really thought i was fighting the UI

what did eventually stop me from playing was a load of experienced guys, just experience, not actual engine writing knowledge, just a long time with the game, trying to explain things they couldnt - why did my 92 Zeros just get killed by 16 P40s and a load of tosh about boom and zoom, turn angles, height, optimum height and noone really knew why - im too OCD for 'its just one of those things' i need to know why it happened so i can make sure it doesnt happen again and noone could really answer it - and with that, i wasnt investing any more time in a PBEM that lasts 3 years for the big attack, the one great turn to end all turns not going right, because 'its one of those things' and then engine crapped out

Herman Hum

Quote from: undercovergeek on December 15, 2013, 06:46:29 PM
Quote from: Herman Hum on December 15, 2013, 06:44:51 PM
It's like trying to write an entire dictionary using one mouse-click / letter. :(
how so?
Anyone who tries to for a 100 unit convoy needs about 300 clicks to accomplish this simple task.  Each ship selected requires two clicks to add and add about another 100 to sort, filter, change order, re-sort, filter, etc.  It's the Game of One Million Clicks.  The hotkeys only bring up reports / displays.  Not a single hotkey actually issues a solitary order.
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions

JudgeDredd

Quote from: undercovergeek on December 15, 2013, 07:30:59 PM
lol, i spent 6 years playing it, and nothing else and i never really thought i was fighting the UI

what did eventually stop me from playing was a load of experienced guys, just experience, not actual engine writing knowledge, just a long time with the game, trying to explain things they couldnt - why did my 92 Zeros just get killed by 16 P40s and a load of tosh about boom and zoom, turn angles, height, optimum height and noone really knew why - im too OCD for 'its just one of those things' i need to know why it happened so i can make sure it doesnt happen again and noone could really answer it - and with that, i wasnt investing any more time in a PBEM that lasts 3 years for the big attack, the one great turn to end all turns not going right, because 'its one of those things' and then engine crapped out
Thankfully that kind of thing doesn't bother me...so if I can get over the micro management I will be able to overlook things like that as "oh well"
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people