The Hunters

Started by Nefaro, November 18, 2013, 10:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nefaro

Quote from: Staggerwing on December 12, 2013, 10:34:33 PM
So I take it that your last name isn't anything close to Zyzynski then...

Closer to Z than A.   :-[

GJK

I had a "key" in my mailbox for one of the oversized boxes and thought for sure that mine had arrived.  Instead, it was an RPG book that I had ordered (Aces & Eights).  Drats!  Maybe tomorrow or Saturday but again, I'll probably start a game using the ZunTzu gamebox anywho.  Need to finish the rules first though....
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Nefaro

Quote from: GJK on December 13, 2013, 12:04:44 AM
I had a "key" in my mailbox for one of the oversized boxes and thought for sure that mine had arrived.  Instead, it was an RPG book that I had ordered (Aces & Eights).  Drats!  Maybe tomorrow or Saturday but again, I'll probably start a game using the ZunTzu gamebox anywho.  Need to finish the rules first though....

I've never used Vassal or ZunTzu.  I've debated picking one of those up at some point, for when I didn't want to put something out on the table for long periods.  What are the differences between the two, and their costs?

Staggerwing

AFA the differences, I'm just a n00b as well but VASSAL has a boatload of customizable features such as having your pieces step down in strength as they take damage and show that in the counter itself and whatnot while ZunTzu is a bare-bones single-image counters and map kinda deal.

As far as cost goes: FREE!!! both of them!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GJK

#49
As stagger said, both of these tools are completely free so they really should be in your arsenal of gaming utilities.  VASSAL has far more support in the way of users and games that are available.  It is continually being updated with more features being added all the time.  Currently, VASSAL uses Java to run.  I've had no problems with it whatsoever, but some are understandably leery of Java.  VASSAL in of itself is not difficult to install and to start using.  There is a learning curve however if you want to start making your own modules.  VASSAL support solitaire play, online (live) play via their central servers (nothing to register for) and pbem.  VASSAL offers the ability to automate several things; automatically place damage markers, move pieces to map locations, etc.  It all depends on what the module designer puts in to it.

ZunTzu (www.zuntzu.com) has the slickest interface (I think) with nice zoom features.  Jerome is the programer and even though he mentioned working on version 2.0 (that would include support for tablets), he's fallen quiet about it for some time.  Still, the current version works wonderfully.  Installing it is easy via a browser (uses .net I believe) and making "game boxes" for it is really very simple.  ZT only supports solo and live play though (no pbem).  Jerome's philosophy for ZT was to make a virtual copy of a physical boardgame meaning that you have to pick the pieces off the countersheet.  You have to shuffle and deal the cards.  You roll virtual dice.  Nothing is automated but everything that comes with your game is there for you.

Here's some screenshots of Bill Barrett's "official" gamebox for The Hunters:  http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1dd39396/595
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Nefaro

#50
Thanks guys.  For some reason I had thought that Vassal cost a bit and didn't know much about ZunTzu.  The latter looks pretty cool, especially being the dice & card whore that I am.  The IE browser install is a bit odd.

I may give this a spin this weekend if the game doesn't miraculously show up tonight.  I still have Picket Duty on the table but I'm waiting to see if I can get some clarification on something before continuing my campaign in that one.

GJK

I made an ebook (.chm, compiled help file for Windows) of the rules last night that includes the errata and the charts (with errata as well).  I can throw a copy of it up on the ASL Dropbox folder that I have shared out to some of you.  If you're interested and you're not on the ASL Dropbox shared folder list, PM me your email address and I'll share out the folder to you.  Here's some screenshots of it:

Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Staggerwing

That is so cool! Thanks for all that work- where do you find the time?  :o
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GJK

Quote from: Staggerwing on December 14, 2013, 07:18:25 AM
That is so cool! Thanks for all that work- where do you find the time?  :o

No date on a Friday night so I played "solitaire".  ;)
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Nefaro

Nice.

What format is that in?  Looks like a Windows Help file.  ???

GJK

Quote from: Nefaro on December 14, 2013, 02:31:28 PM
Nice.

What format is that in?  Looks like a Windows Help file.  ???

It is (.chm).  I can open it on Windows, Mac, IOS or Android with no problems (and appropriate apps for all but Windows PC).
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Nefaro

Starting to think I'm the last one on the shipping list.   

Still no notification from GMT and UPS shows nothing coming.    :'(

Staggerwing

You're not alone. I'm still waiting for my copy from NWS. I hope it ships soon.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Nefaro

Quote from: Staggerwing on December 15, 2013, 04:46:39 PM
You're not alone. I'm still waiting for my copy from NWS. I hope it ships soon.

I've rarely known NWS to be fast.  They're nice for saving a few bucks if you're not in a hurry to get something.  Pretty sure they have it shipped to them from the manufacturer first, then turn it around.  My last order took about 2 weeks to get here and that isn't unusual.  Nothing against Chris & NWS.. just know that it can take some time.

Not sure how they handle pre-order stuff, though. 

Staggerwing

True. I am also still waiting for my copy of Ogre: Designer's edition from NWS. I got a shipping notice on that one but it's the 'Electronic Shipping Info Received' one that indicates the Post Office is waiting to get it and ship it out.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys