War Thunder Global beta keys

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, October 01, 2012, 01:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nefaro

#90
Quote from: undercovergeek on November 10, 2013, 07:12:57 AM


quick questions - can you earn the red currency or do you have to pay ££ - will i ever get a hurricane just by playing the game?

You can unlock all those red aircraft by playing.  I've found that the base in-game currency, "Silver Lions", can get pretty tight if you're buying all the aircraft from all the nations as soon as they are unlocked.  So manage your Silver Lion expenditure unless you want to buy some with real money.  The only ones you can't unlock by playing are the ones in the column on the far right side of each nation's tech tree.  Those cost 'Golden Eagles' (real money currency) and are just extra aircraft that provide a permanent Premium-like earnings bonus when flying it.

I turned off Automatic Repairs for every nation, and do that manually.  When you fly anything but the base starter aircraft, they'll cost you Silver Lions to repair if they're damaged after a battle.  If you don't plan on playing that nation again after that match, they repair automatically over a period of time so I don't recommend repairing them until you're getting ready to fly another mission with them immediately.

Quote
planes with turrets - does an AI man those or can you switch in game?

The AI automatically mans your turrets if you're flying the aircraft.  They suck, even after putting aircrew experience points into them.   For some odd reason AAA, and especially destroyer AA, can be quite good at shooting you if you're not weaving & bobbing but aircraft gun crews blow. If you want to man the guns yourself, the default hotkey is F6.  The plane will be automatically flow straight & level while you're in this view.  To return to the pilot's seat, hit F1 or F2 (IIRC).  One of those is cockpit view and the other is the default external.

In bombers that have a proper bombsight, F7 is the view for that.  You can still control the rudder while in this view (with mouse or joystick) for fine aiming and the 'Zoom View' toggle hotkey also works in the bombsight (and most other views).

undercovergeek

so i could man the turret but get flown into a mountain!

hmmmmm - wirraway or not?!

Nefaro

#92
Quote from: undercovergeek on November 10, 2013, 06:23:30 PM
so i could man the turret but get flown into a mountain!

hmmmmm - wirraway or not?!

Yep!  Don't relinquish control if you're so low as to run into a mountain!  I've done it before, wasn't pretty.

There aren't many bombers I'd recommend buying for Gold Lions.  I have bought a couple (the BTD and the British A-20) because they are exceptionally fast.  I believe people say that Australian fighter is a good buy for something around Tier 5 or whatever it is (the one with the 20mm cannon) but I've not flown it. 

Edit:  The Boomerang is the Tier 4 I was alluding to.  As I said, I've not flown it.

Also keep in mind that going from the super slow noobie biplanes to the faster mono-wing ones takes a little adjustment.  You can no longer turn on a dime, but you are faster and generally have more firepower.

And remember to toggle on your Flaps if you get slow in a turning fight.  That'll help you cut your circle in a tad tighter.  Just remember to toggle it back off when you are done turning and need to regain speed.

undercovergeek

i skimmed a bush in my gladiator - that didnt end pretty either

and there is no double entendre in any of that sentence!!

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Nefaro on November 10, 2013, 06:20:57 PM
I turned off Automatic Repairs for every nation, and do that manually.  When you fly anything but the base starter aircraft, they'll cost you Silver Lions to repair if they're damaged after a battle.  If you don't plan on playing that nation again after that match, they repair automatically over a period of time so I don't recommend repairing them until you're getting ready to fly another mission with them immediately.

This is great advice, thanks Nef!

QuoteThe AI automatically mans your turrets if you're flying the aircraft.  They suck, even after putting aircrew experience points into them.

Perhaps it's because I'm only flying with noobs at the moment, but they haven't sucked for me.  I get at least a couple of kills in most battles thanks to my AI tail gunner.  I've put a load of XP into accuracy and precision, which should make a difference.

Nefaro

Meant to post this in the past:

A link for new people registering their login that gives you 50 free 'golden eagles'.  It's not much at all but if you're just starting, may as well take whatever extras they'll give. 

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_1106367

Note:  I don't get any rewards for this - it's just a bonus for new users.

eyebiter

.
#96
.

Nefaro

Quote from: eyebiter on November 17, 2013, 10:02:39 AM

Got the Tier 2 Havok I, it's excellent.

The A-20 is a fast bastard.  Same for the British version, the Havoc. 

They don't carry a huge payload but speed is life, especially for bombers in WT.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I see they've got a sale on premium stuff for 50% off on Steam today.  If I switch over to Steam, is it possible to keep my stats and planes and whatnot?  Even though I hardly play anymore, I don't want to lose my tier 13 planes and start over again from scratch.

Nefaro

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 17, 2013, 07:49:26 PM
I see they've got a sale on premium stuff for 50% off on Steam today.  If I switch over to Steam, is it possible to keep my stats and planes and whatnot?  Even though I hardly play anymore, I don't want to lose my tier 13 planes and start over again from scratch.

Hrmm..

I downloaded WT on my laptop through Steam and it still asks for a WT login.  Dunno if it linked my Steam account to my WT account or not but I'm pretty sure I didn't need Steam running to use it afterward so there probably isn't any link. 

I can't say for sure.  Are they some kind of 'new account' specials or is it just straight-up discounts on gold eagles or packages?  I would think that if you d/l the client on Steam, and use your current WT login while starting it through Steam, that you could purchase Steam discounts just fine.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I tried a few full-real and historical battles last night to see how the new 1.37 patch plays.  I like the fact that they've added more fidelity to the flight models, even if it means my Typhoon and my Beaufighters kinda fly like bricks now.  There was a LOT of whining in chat and it sounds like they didn't get around to updating the flight models for a lot of the German fighters yet, so they're currently enjoying a big advantage over other nation's planes in the historical and full realism battles.

Nefaro

They need to stop half-assing the flight & damage models.. especially when making drastic changes.

Just fixing up most of the Soviet line and a few odd others should result in their customers complaining.   I love the game but they've dicked around on too much of that stuff for quite some time now.  I'm sure part of the reason is because they're busy creating the two other games that will fit into their system but for fookssake they need to get all the stuff in this one fixed up. 

The never-ending beta state is starting to chafe on me when there have been numerous aircraft in the game that have been there for nearly two years with crappy generic placeholder FMs and/or DMs.  Then they go drastically change one of those facets and make such aircraft even worse.  ::)

RAWR?

eyebiter

.
#102
.

Nefaro

Quote from: eyebiter on December 23, 2013, 11:02:32 AM
After 1.37 it takes much longer to grind research for aircraft, unless you burn thousands of gold eagles to convert "free research points".


It already took ages once you reached around Tier 8+ 

eyebiter

.
#104
.