Main Menu

Mechwarrior Online

Started by Martok, March 10, 2012, 12:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

GDS_Starfury

#105
back when I was a wee lad a Comtech cache actually ment something!  (shakes cane)
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


MetalDog

We were just starting to get into Lostech when the Clans came around.  It was only Comstar that had it and the Clans just f*cked EVERYthing up!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

GDS_Starfury

that all happened when FASA was getting sued by a bunch of anime franchises for ripping off their mech designs.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Yskonyn

I don't agree that Clan tech Fucked up the game, but you do have to take care. But in the latest edition of the game there are plenty of rules to offset the advantage the Clans have.
I have never found it to be a problem, let alone game breaking.

How MWO will go at it remains to be seen, but from the forums it seems like the devs have proper plans to keep things balanced and fun.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on December 21, 2013, 01:26:26 AM
Clan mechs ruined Battletech.  >:(

That was my general opinion. 

I really liked the succession war type setting as it was somewhat balanced regarding factions and the backstory was interesting.  Then came the Clan stuff and I was, "WTF?!". 

If they wanted to add new improved shinier 'stuff' to the game system, they could've just continued the Comstar cache discovery line.   Instead they added whole new factions that were greatly superior to the old ones which used to be somewhat balanced.   It didn't help that the backstory and 'culture' of the Clans sucked IMO, too.

MetalDog

I liked the backstory of the Clans, Kerensky sailing off into the nether reaches of space.  Sending the Black Widow to the IS as a merc company.  I just didn't get how, even with all of the tech at their disposal when they left, that they were able to set up, manufacture and improve on the designs they left with in the short time they were gone.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Martok

Man, I'm having a sudden sense of deja' vu here... 

It reminds me of the response I received about 8-10 years ago from a long-time Metallica fan, who asked me which album was my favorite.  When I told him the Black album -- which was the first one to come out after I was just old enough to start appreciating rock music (and thus remains a sentimental favorite for me) -- I thought he was going to go apoplectic on me.  ??? 




Not that I don't understand where the rest of you are coming from.  I guess it's just since that I started playing MW/BT with the Clans already part of the universe, I simply had no real concept of what it was like before. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

MetalDog

Best way I can give you a sense of it is this, take all of your Battletech books pre-Clan, and read them without dwelling on the knowledge of the Clans that you already have.  The five Houses fighting amongst one another for the scraps left behind over five Succession Wars.  Having to salvage the battlefield for parts rather than survivors.  Reduced to raiding one another because the cost, in men, materiel and the almighty Battlemechs, is too valuable to risk in an all out war.  The specter of Hanse Davion and Melissa Steiner uniting Davion and Steiner into a virtually unstoppable state.  And Comstar lording it over everyone as the only way to communicate over the vast distances each house controlled and biding their time with their Lostech 'Mechs.  To what end, noone knows.

Same way with Metallica.  After surviving assaults by disco, punk and New Wave, music is a vast wasteland.  And then, from across the pond, comes a sound to stir a young mans heart.  A call to battle from the sons of Black Sabbath - Iron Maiden.  Def Leppard (don't laugh, the first two albums were pretty awesome before they turned into outright cheese).  Saxon.  Heard and responded to from the left coast of the United Sates.  Heard and returned with a sound and fury that left you willing to rush the barricades, tear down the doors and pillage your way through every staid and tired song up until then.  I give you, Kill'Em All


And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

republic

I've started playing this a lot more lately. 

I do wish, however, that both World of Tanks and Mechwarrior Online would come up with some sort of mechanic to make the games more than just arena deathmatches.  Some sort of story or something tying the matches together would be nice.

GDS_Starfury

if you take part in WoT Clan wars you kind of get a campaign to play as you can take territory from other teams on a world map.



of course that means you have to join a team, get team speak and play regularly.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


republic

I didn't know that.  I really need to stop being anti-social and go find a group.

GDS_Starfury

you dont need to pay to play clan wars but you will usually need top tier tanks unless there is some tier restricted event.  you also get gold and premium time for participating.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


republic

Oh ok, I'm a LOOONG way off for that.  I just spent the XP on a T-43 after eons in my T-34 85.

See, this is a problem.  With online gaming its either your hardcore, or your in the kiddie pool.

GDS_Starfury

Or you play for the long haul.  After 4 years all my German lines are tier 10.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


republic

I'm confused as to the progression on MWO.  World of Tanks is clear, you follow the research tree and train your crew.

MWO you can buy the 'best' mech's.  XP gives you some bonuses...but isn't that it?  Am I missing something?