Main Menu

Walking Dead Games?

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 21, 2013, 11:19:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Grim.Reaper

I have always been intrigued by this game, but never really understand what kind of game is it.  Anyone play it?  Is it a FPS?  A RPG?  Puzzles?  Can't really tell from the descriptions.  Seems to be on sale for $6 at GMG so hoping some others have experience.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/adventure/walking-dead-telltale-game-series/

GDS_Starfury

I friend of mine has all the episodes and really likes it.  hes stated that it hold very true to the comics.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Grim.Reaper

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on December 21, 2013, 11:35:37 AM
I friend of mine has all the episodes and really likes it.  hes stated that it hold very true to the comics.

Thanks GDS, do you know if it is FPS?  Just not sure what you actually do within the game, but it does always seem to get good feedback.

Arctic Blast

It's more of a storytelling adventure game. A few sequences per episode require quick reflexes, but for the most part it's an interactive story. I wasn't a huge fan of the 4th episode, but the overall set of 5 was really good. One of my favorite games of last year.

eyebiter

.
#4
.

LongBlade

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 21, 2013, 11:37:04 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on December 21, 2013, 11:35:37 AM
I friend of mine has all the episodes and really likes it.  hes stated that it hold very true to the comics.

Thanks GDS, do you know if it is FPS?  Just not sure what you actually do within the game, but it does always seem to get good feedback.

This may give you some insight: http://www.grogheads.com/first-wd.html
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Grim.Reaper

Thanks for the details....not sure if this one will be for me but who knows.

LongBlade

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 21, 2013, 10:34:17 PM
Thanks for the details....not sure if this one will be for me but who knows.

I enjoyed playing it but I haven't bought the sequel.

It's definitely no FPS.

If you can find it on sale I think you'll be pleased.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Hiimori

I played all episodes of season one and greatly enjoyed the game.

It's neither a shooter nor a RPG or anything like that, it's a genre of its own, a mix of adventure / point and click / quicktime events with heavy and really tough decision making under time pressure. The game has nice cell shading graphics and a cool comic-like artwork and style.

Your decisions greatly influence the course of the game and there are some tough and very surprising and shocking moments. The storytelling is really good, you get emotionally involved with the main characters and you will most certainly have to sacrifice or at least hurt some of them for the sake of the others. The ending of the last episode was epic.

Usually, I hate point and click games (too impatient for this type of game, I'm more the shooter type), but after I finished the first episode, I eagerly waited for the next episodes and played them all on launch day. If you like the Walking Dead and love being forced into brutal decisions under time pressure, you should check it out.

I liked the game very much (some episodes are better than others), it was a really great and unusual gameplay experience.
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

GDS_Starfury

I so wish the show was more in line with the comic.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Steelgrave

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on December 22, 2013, 07:23:01 PM
I so wish the show was more in line with the comic.

Yeah, see....we both love TWD but I completely disagree. Having read all the comics to date, I like that there is always an element of uncertainty. Case in point was the last episode at the prison. A lot of things mirrored the comics, but you never really knew who was safe or who was next to die, and indeed the person who died in the episode and the person who died in the comics was not the same individual.  So if you know someone dies in the comics (say at Nagan's hand...or bat), there is that tension where you wonder if this will be the time the comics and series merge.

What I think would be cool is for Clementine to appear as a Walking Dead character. That would rock.

LongBlade

Quote from: Steelgrave on December 22, 2013, 09:04:29 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on December 22, 2013, 07:23:01 PM
I so wish the show was more in line with the comic.

Yeah, see....we both love TWD but I completely disagree. Having read all the comics to date, I like that there is always an element of uncertainty. Case in point was the last episode at the prison. A lot of things mirrored the comics, but you never really knew who was safe or who was next to die, and indeed the person who died in the episode and the person who died in the comics was not the same individual.  So if you know someone dies in the comics (say at Nagan's hand...or bat), there is that tension where you wonder if this will be the time the comics and series merge.

What I think would be cool is for Clementine to appear as a Walking Dead character. That would rock.

+1 to all of the above, Steelie.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

W8taminute

I'll echo what others have said about this game.  I've played the whole story through and the story is really done well.  I got emotionally attached to the plight of the main character and the little girl he's taking care of.  At the end of each chapter you get compared on the tough decisions you made in the story compared to the rest of the community. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Hiimori

Quote from: W8taminute on December 23, 2013, 06:37:05 AM
At the end of each chapter you get compared on the tough decisions you made in the story compared to the rest of the community.

I learned that about 7-15% of players made the same decisions as I did, so I guess I chose the most unpopular ones. I thought them to be the best decisions for the survival of the group over risking my people by saving one individual, but apparently, some of my decisions were highly unpopular among the community. Which gave me the impression that I'm more the governor type than a Rick person.
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

MIGMaster

I'd like to see them do a cross-over epsiode where the cast of Falling Skies and the Walking Dead meet to battle zombies and aliens - a skidder zombie would be cool !