Elder Scrolls series: console vs PC

Started by bayonetbrant, December 22, 2013, 06:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bayonetbrant

My nephew is looking for some info on the differences btw playing Elder Scrolls on PC vs xBox

Part of the concern is how powerful the rig needs to be to run on a PC.

Any input / thoughts?

Thanks!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

My rig does fine with Oblivion and Skyrim. It's an i3 (older type) with 4 gig ram and an Nvidia GT 430 card. Oblivion looks better on my PC than on my PS3. I don't have Skyrim for the PS3 so can't compare that one.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Bison

Not to mention the billions of mods you can add to either of the games and just add to the incredible replayability.  As Stagger already said Elder Scroll games are not very demanding.  Also the Morrowind is very fun too.

mikeck

Console cannot begin to compare to the PC for skyrim. There are so many mods available that I can't imaging playing without. Heck, just the ones that improve the graphics are great let alone all of the extra content. Plus the DLC's
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

donkey_roxor

I've got a Core 2 Duo and a Radeon 4850, and Skyrim runs pretty well, albeit not at max settings. It's definitely playable.

JasonPratt

Skyrim is very playable on PS3 and looks great. The mods can't be used, but I've got upwards of 200 mods for the PC Skyrim and have played it no hours. ;) Whereas I clocked 250 hours on vanilla Skyrim PS3 without even any of the three official DLC.

So, y'know, mods are great only if they can be, and are, used.

(Having said that, some games look and run better on PS3 than on XB360, and vice versa, and I'm not in a position to compare Skyrim directly about that.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bayonetbrant

#6
Jason - in this case, PS3 or 4 isn't an option.  They have an xBox but are curious about PC specs
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mikeck

When it first came out, i ran it on a pretty mid range rig with no issues. My old comp had a dual core with a 1gb nvidia card and 4 gb ram (windows xp). I had the graphics turned up pretty high two.

I would say of you have a decent processor made in the last 5 years (maybe an i5 or i7 multi core 2.3 ghz or better), 4 gb ram and a card with 1gb memory, you shouldn't have any issues.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson