Battlefront's Combat Mission Eastern Front Sneak Peek

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 21, 2013, 10:53:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Zulu1966 on December 23, 2013, 11:31:43 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 23, 2013, 10:22:28 AM
Not to take things too far off topic, but was thinking about re-installing CMBN, CMFI Gustav, and possibly buying Market Garden...as someone mentioned above, one of the confusing things is installed its patches/upgrades/modules.  If I own every module/patch/upgrade, can someone tell me what is the correct order of installing all of this stuff if I was installing from scratch?  Which module First?  which patch next? which upgrade module? etc.

CMBN ... http://www.battlefront.com/helpdesk/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=240&nav=0,10

Excellent...thank you.

Keunert

i have no problem with CM, i have fun playing it even though the machine and gunfire smoke does not correspond with wind direction on some occasions. i get the same problem with HPS games.

what i really hate is the direction Nintendo took with Nintendogs. They never delivered the Deutscher Schäferhund module but instead went for small gay dog modules... milking those bitches to death. those aren't simulations anymore. at least in my book.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Con

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 23, 2013, 10:22:28 AM
Not to take things too far off topic, but was thinking about re-installing CMBN, CMFI Gustav, and possibly buying Market Garden...as someone mentioned above, one of the confusing things is installed its patches/upgrades/modules.  If I own every module/patch/upgrade, can someone tell me what is the correct order of installing all of this stuff if I was installing from scratch?  Which module First?  which patch next? which upgrade module? etc.

I just did this myself and here is the order that I did it in

1. Install CMBN original from disk
2. Install CommonWealth forces from Disk
3. Download Version 2.0 of the patch (I had a previous email with the serial number for the patch)
4. Apply patch and make sure it is checked form CMBN AND Commonwealth forces
5. Install Market Garden
6. Install update patch from Market garden
7. Download all my mods and reinstall

Took a little while but I am back up and running as of now

Con

Conrad

Yskonyn

So we all bitch and moan about anything CMx2 related, but we play it no less.
Strange relation to have with a game in my view.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Zulu1966

Quote from: Con on December 23, 2013, 02:28:07 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 23, 2013, 10:22:28 AM
Not to take things too far off topic, but was thinking about re-installing CMBN, CMFI Gustav, and possibly buying Market Garden...as someone mentioned above, one of the confusing things is installed its patches/upgrades/modules.  If I own every module/patch/upgrade, can someone tell me what is the correct order of installing all of this stuff if I was installing from scratch?  Which module First?  which patch next? which upgrade module? etc.

I just did this myself and here is the order that I did it in

1. Install CMBN original from disk
2. Install CommonWealth forces from Disk
3. Download Version 2.0 of the patch (I had a previous email with the serial number for the patch)
4. Apply patch and make sure it is checked form CMBN AND Commonwealth forces
5. Install Market Garden
6. Install update patch from Market garden
7. Download all my mods and reinstall

Took a little while but I am back up and running as of now

Con

Conrad

I think you missed the 1.11 patch - the CW module only takes it to 1.10 - and the 2.0 patch needs 1.11
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

MengJiao

Quote from: Yskonyn on December 23, 2013, 03:07:12 PM
So we all bitch and moan about anything CMx2 related, but we play it no less.
Strange relation to have with a game in my view.

  It's the uncanny valley -- you're looking at events in the game and scrutinizing them not just for realism but for an ultimately
undefinable relation to reality and all kinds of assumptions about every little piece of reality.  I think this started in Flight sims, but I think
it has even turned up in the wierd hating Rome II industry.
  The original uncanny valley was supposed to be a problem with robots that seemed very human, but still made people feel very queasy -- the same kind of thing seems to be happening with "clickable cockpits" as an infinitely "debatable" thing in flight sims or Rome II which inexplicably
seems to be triggering the same kind of queasiness.
  Anyway, I seem to be immune to the uncanny valley, perhaps due to using editors a lot in games.

Con

Quote from: Zulu1966 on December 23, 2013, 03:14:38 PM
Quote from: Con on December 23, 2013, 02:28:07 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 23, 2013, 10:22:28 AM
Not to take things too far off topic, but was thinking about re-installing CMBN, CMFI Gustav, and possibly buying Market Garden...as someone mentioned above, one of the confusing things is installed its patches/upgrades/modules.  If I own every module/patch/upgrade, can someone tell me what is the correct order of installing all of this stuff if I was installing from scratch?  Which module First?  which patch next? which upgrade module? etc.

I just did this myself and here is the order that I did it in

1. Install CMBN original from disk
2. Install CommonWealth forces from Disk
3. Download Version 2.0 of the patch (I had a previous email with the serial number for the patch)
4. Apply patch and make sure it is checked form CMBN AND Commonwealth forces
5. Install Market Garden
6. Install update patch from Market garden
7. Download all my mods and reinstall

Took a little while but I am back up and running as of now

Con

Conrad

I think you missed the 1.11 patch - the CW module only takes it to 1.10 - and the 2.0 patch needs 1.11

You're right

Just checked the game and I was at version 2.10.  Downloading the all inclusive patch that should get me to 2.12

Thanks for the heads up

Con

Richie61

Quote from: Apocalypse 31
For $35 a pop,

LOL! I sadly pay $39.99 for old DOS graphics from Tiller/ HPS  :-\

I don't play it enough, but I love firing up CMx2 and getting kicked to the curb by the AI  :) I have been waiting for this title since Shock Force  ;D
Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

Arctic Blast

Quote from: sandman2575 on December 22, 2013, 06:18:41 PM
You hate Charlie Brown??     I didn't think anyone hated Charlie Brown.

This revelation diminishes my faith in humanity, ever so slightly...

He's just so utterly bland and uninteresting, and yet people are still fans? It makes no sense!  ;D

Nefaro

Quote from: Arctic Blast on December 23, 2013, 05:24:59 PM
Quote from: sandman2575 on December 22, 2013, 06:18:41 PM
You hate Charlie Brown??     I didn't think anyone hated Charlie Brown.

This revelation diminishes my faith in humanity, ever so slightly...

He's just so utterly bland and uninteresting, and yet people are still fans? It makes no sense!  ;D

I'm with 'The Blast' on this one.

I always thought Charlie Brown was dull as hell.  Didn't see the amusement in it.  Watching an episode was like watching paint dry on a crippled snail.

Bison


Gusington

I will be getting this because I am interested in the Eastern Front. It will be my first CM title so I have none of the baggage. I like the uncanny valley metaphor...good way to describe the undescribable. If you traverse the uncanny valley successfully, do you reach happy valley? Or hidden valley? Maybe tin pan alley.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

As long as you don't end up in the Valley of Death, either by your self or with the 600, it's all good.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Yskonyn

#73
If you survive the Uncanny Valley you will enter Happy Happy Joy Joy Valley, otherwise known as the Infinitely Having Fun Valley.
It's a good place! I have been there before, but I tend to get drawn to the Valley of Gorgeous Women more often.

Anyway, I'd like a PBEM match against you once you're settled in on the Ostfront later!

In the mean time for anyone who'd like a long tutorial on the gameplay of CM(BN) watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbE8795rt2s

It's a long (2h43m!) video about a guy explaining how CM works. His tactics are (admitted by himself) up for debate, but the point is that he shows off some great tips and explanations about how CM thinks and how the interface works along with some pr0-tips.
Recommended to watch (smeared over a few sessions).
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

agathosdaimon

the uncanny valley does kind of relate here but also too much with CGI in movies, once a game starts trying to unpack the nifty abstractions that usually make strategy and wargames so playable for people who arent studying at some military college, then it seems to be constantly measured by what it has failed to do as opposed to what it does do. if it wants to also show everything graphically well ... as shown with Rome 2 such promises need a lot of time in development so as to come good.
I thought the main problem with Rome 2 was its pisspoor AI - or is that no being worked on and improved by CA?

I dont need a game to do everything graphically, i prefer my imagination still and just am happy for a game to represent what is happening rather than try to show it in detail - the latter will always be met with disappoint against what one's own imagination can create in more than just a mental image sense.

for CM eastern front, i will be interested to get it if it offers a good single player challenge and has good FOW and modelling of communication difficulties - well the latter less so, if CM still does teh WE go 60seconds of realtimne thing that the CM1 games did - i have those games.