Main Menu

Wargame: Red Dragon

Started by RooksBailey, January 08, 2014, 02:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

RooksBailey

First trailer out!



Looking good!  8)  WALB took some time to grow on me - I really didn't come to enjoy it until I started using the cool replay viewer  :) - but now I can't stop playing it.  It was the comeback kid of 2013 gaming for me.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

ComradeP

Calling a game involving China "Red Dragon" is about as original as all those "palace" or "great wall" Chinese restaurants.

Having said that, I wonder how balanced the new factions will be, considering that the Chinese armed forces have only recently moved into gear when it comes to closing the technological gap with Western forces. I wonder whether the Chinese or North Koreans will be nearly as good as Soviet forces.

The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

Jarhead0331

Quote from: ComradeP on January 08, 2014, 03:02:03 PM
Calling a game involving China "Red Dragon" is about as original as all those "palace" or "great wall" Chinese restaurants.

Having said that, I wonder how balanced the new factions will be, considering that the Chinese armed forces have only recently moved into gear when it comes to closing the technological gap with Western forces. I wonder whether the Chinese or North Koreans will be nearly as good as Soviet forces.

Given that the game is actually called, "Wargame,"  I think its safe to assume that creativity in naming is not the developers strong suit...but the game does kick butt.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


RooksBailey

Quote from: ComradeP on January 08, 2014, 03:02:03 PM
Having said that, I wonder how balanced the new factions will be, considering that the Chinese armed forces have only recently moved into gear when it comes to closing the technological gap with Western forces. I wonder whether the Chinese or North Koreans will be nearly as good as Soviet forces.

That's a good question.  This is why I was curious as to why Eugen decided to cap the timeline at 1991 for the new forces.  Strange decision.  If you are going to leave the NATO vs. Warsaw Pact situation in Europe for a new Asian theater, it would have made more sense to bring Wargame into the 21st Century modern era. 

That's the thing with Eugen - sometimes I really find myself scratching my head with their design decisions.   :-\
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

GDS_Starfury

After 91 the tech edge would be too biased towards US / SK forces.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


RooksBailey

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 08, 2014, 03:11:02 PM
After 91 the tech edge would be too biased towards US / SK forces.

But isn't China closing the tech gap now? 

BTW: here is the text that goes with the vid.  It seems that another reason for the '91 cap is that they are still trying to tie this in to the WWIII theme.

QuoteThe tension is ramping up in Wargame Red Dragon! The latest game in the spectacular RTS series created by developers Eugen Systems can today reveal the very first teaser video that takes us to the heart of Asia and the scenes of the next clashes of Wargame.

The NATO and Pact armies and their allies finally deploy in Asia. This first Red Dragon video gives us a taste of the strategic and pyrotechnical delights in store for you in this new Wargame title, which takes place at the start of a new major armed conflict. You can look forward to new factions, new units and combat vehicles (for a total of over 1,300!) and, in particular, the introduction of naval units: the landing craft, amphibian vehicles and warships will thrill fans of complex strategies, who will now be able to include the waterways as an integral part of their tactics!

More ambitious than Wargame AirLand Battle, Wargame Red Dragon essentially retains the same game mechanics that made the series so successful, but the action leaves Europe for the first time and shifts to a conflict in central Asia between 1975 and 1991, and adding loads of new features. 5 new nations, among which China and North Korea, join the armed forces in Wargame with over 450 new units. The introduction of naval and amphibian units is a particular highlight, and the maritime and river areas provide fresh strategic opportunities! A new solo campaign plunges players headlong into a hellish war around Korea, while Wargame's extensive, road-tested multiplayer mode will engage them in some intense and spectacular battles with up to 20 other players simultaneously!

More of Wargame: Red Dragon will be revealed over the coming weeks with new screenshots and videos.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

GDS_Starfury

China is building numbers not closing the gap imho.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Tpek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 08, 2014, 03:07:13 PM
Quote from: ComradeP on January 08, 2014, 03:02:03 PM
Calling a game involving China "Red Dragon" is about as original as all those "palace" or "great wall" Chinese restaurants.

Having said that, I wonder how balanced the new factions will be, considering that the Chinese armed forces have only recently moved into gear when it comes to closing the technological gap with Western forces. I wonder whether the Chinese or North Koreans will be nearly as good as Soviet forces.

Given that the game is actually called, "Wargame,"  I think its safe to assume that creativity in naming is not the developers strong suit...but the game does kick butt.

Since when do Wargames have original or creative names? :P

Nefaro

Quote from: Tpek on January 08, 2014, 03:38:38 PM

Since when do Wargames have original or creative names? :P

If it's WW2, just add either "Tiger" or "Panzer" to it.   

Isn't that the normal naming convention?

:P

Tinkershuffle

My biggest concern is the implementation of naval units, I really don't know how do they fit to the current scale of the game. I hope there will be maps where you don't have to use them.

GDS_Starfury

after reading through the forums Im thinking that they will cost a fortune and be placed on the map like FOBs for the large ships.  having a Burke cover your FOB and arty might be a pretty nice thing.  the smaller stuff will allow river and lake crossings but be kind of easy to kill.  guess we'll have to see.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


undercovergeek


Staggerwing

Quote from: Nefaro on January 08, 2014, 11:33:57 PM
Quote from: Tpek on January 08, 2014, 03:38:38 PM

Since when do Wargames have original or creative names? :P

If it's WW2, just add either "Tiger" or "Panzer" to it.   

Isn't that the normal naming convention?

:P

Don't forget:

Fury

Storm

Steel

Heroes

War

Command

Battles

Iron

Combat

Squad

and so on...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mikeck

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 09, 2014, 09:59:48 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 08, 2014, 11:33:57 PM
Quote from: Tpek on January 08, 2014, 03:38:38 PM

Since when do Wargames have original or creative names? :P

If it's WW2, just add either "Tiger" or "Panzer" to it.   

Isn't that the normal naming convention?

:P

Don't forget:

Fury

Storm

Steel

Heroes

War

Command

Battles

Iron

Combat

Squad

and so on...

Lol
"Steel Fury: War Command"
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

GDS_Starfury

Iron Storm: Combat Command

thats not so bad.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.