Wasteland 2 - info required

Started by JudgeDredd, January 10, 2014, 09:21:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JudgeDredd

So - Wasteland 2 looks "interesting".

I like the style of the game...the look. But RGP? I don't know many (any?) RGP games I've ever been hooked on.

What's the scoop with this one (for anyone who played the original Wasteland or is currently playing this)? What's so special?

I'll tell you now just because I've never really got into an RPG doesn't mean I've given up hope of ever doing so. I'm incredibly story driven in that a good story goes a long way to hooking me.

However, things like Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 3 didn't totally grab me (Fallout nearly did) because Oblivion/Skyrim are medieval/fantasy (not my bag really) and Fallout 3 I just can't do open games really...lack of focus for me kills the game 'cos I'm never really sure wth I should be doing or where I should be going...also it got quite hard fwir.

I also don't like alot of text. The story can come with subtitles - but I want the story to be "told" to me. I'm a programmer at the workplace - I don't need to read a screen at home

So - would this grab me? I'm not buying based on what I read here...not until I grab a demo or see reviews or play videos...so your opinions won't be wasting my money. I just wanted to "get in on the know"

Ta
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

undercovergeek

Totally ignoring the whole of your post - I don't think it's due to make it past beta in 2014

JudgeDredd

oh...good. That means I can stick to my 2014 plan of not buying anything (much)  :P
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

undercovergeek

Pfft whatever!

Lol... what's out now is a early release alpha... quite a bit of work according to rps

Tpek

Ugh...
And they were supposed to release it to us KS backers on November 2013 already.

Now, everyone's playing but those of us who wouldn't chime in an additional 20$ to get what was supposed to have been a short closed beta access.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: undercovergeek on January 10, 2014, 09:40:15 AM
Totally ignoring the whole of your post - I don't think it's due to make it past beta in 2014
In that case that's another thing that gets on my proverbials about Steam - way WAAAY too soon on the announcements in the little scrolling "Coming Soon" applet.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Nefaro

#6
Sounds like you don't get into RPGs due to all the pesky words.  :P

I can't say how much reading there is in this one, but RPGs generally have more than the usual share.  I don't recall ever seeing one that was both fully voiced and of a decent length.  I suppose the old Star Wars KOTOR single-player games were kinda close.

I think having an open or partially open world is a huge feature for RPGs.  Part of the draw of RPGs is the chance to not only become immersed into some fictional story & setting, but be able to make choices and have an effect on the outcome of that story in many ways.  There are ones that lead you by the nose quite a bit, if that's what you'd prefer, but I don't think that kind of RPG gameplay gets very good reviews unless it has some other facet that's mind blowing.

Rayfer

Quote from: Tpek on January 10, 2014, 11:08:18 AM
Ugh...
And they were supposed to release it to us KS backers on November 2013 already.

Now, everyone's playing but those of us who wouldn't chime in an additional 20$ to get what was supposed to have been a short closed beta access.

And yet more reasons why I don't/won't do Kickstarter....these issues seem to be the norm, at least on the posts I have read.

KyzBP

Quote from: Nefaro on January 10, 2014, 11:42:04 AM
Sounds like you don't get into RPGs due to all the pesky words.  :P

I can't say how much reading there is in this one, but RPGs generally have more than the usual share.  I don't recall ever seeing one that was both fully voiced and of a decent length.  I suppose the old Star Wars KOTOR single-player games were kinda close.

I think having an open or partially open world is a huge feature for RPGs.  Part of the draw of RPGs is the chance to not only become immersed into some fictional story & setting, but be able to make choices and have an effect on the outcome of that story in many ways.  There are ones that lead you by the nose quite a bit, if that's what you'd prefer, but I don't think that kind of RPG gameplay gets very good reviews unless it has some other facet that's mind blowing.

There's a little reading/dialog at the beginning but then it pretty much turns you loose.  Whatever it is they released is playable, and even enjoyable, it just needs to be cleaned up a bit.  The UI is probably the worst offender but it's not terrible.  I would rather they take another 6 or 9 months to get it right then release it before it's complete.  Besides, it's not like I don't have enough unplayed games laying  around.