Main Menu

Mechwarrior Online

Started by Martok, March 10, 2012, 12:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nefaro

#120
Quote from: republic on January 05, 2014, 08:03:41 PM
I'm confused as to the progression on MWO.  World of Tanks is clear, you follow the research tree and train your crew.

MWO you can buy the 'best' mech's.  XP gives you some bonuses...but isn't that it?  Am I missing something?

Are you asking whether you are required to unlock a series of mechs before getting into others?   I don't think so.  If you can afford it, you can buy them along with purchasing equipment to customize them with.  This is perfectly fine with me as there is only one barrier to advancement:  earnings.   

WoT's progression lines may give us motivation for a time, but after reaching Tier 7 in one it just ends up being a damn annoying grind to unlock the next tier.  That's the point where I feel like I'm just spinning my wheels and quit for awhile.  The feeling of accomplishment you get from advancing through the tiers is nice, up until it starts taking ridiculously high amounts of playing time before you go anywhere.

GDS_Starfury

you can buy your way into top tier and special tanks in WoT.  in fact, the idea is to get you to do so.  the trick is to know when or where you dont have to.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


SgtRock

I've yet to try Mechwarrior, does it have an end game?
One of the biggest issue I found with WOT, was once you got to tier 9/10 the battles were just as bad, if not worst than lower tier battles and all you did is lose credits in every battle, uck! >:(


republic

Mechwarrior is essentially 'tierless'.  You can pilot whatever you can afford and use whatever weapons you can afford.  XP provides modifiers for your mechs, cools down faster, etc.

The fun of Mechwarrior Online is the same fun I always had with other Mechwarrior computer games.  The never ending puzzle of loadouts.


SgtRock

Quote from: republic on January 06, 2014, 03:06:46 PM
Mechwarrior is essentially 'tierless'.  You can pilot whatever you can afford and use whatever weapons you can afford.  XP provides modifiers for your mechs, cools down faster, etc.

The fun of Mechwarrior Online is the same fun I always had with other Mechwarrior computer games.  The never ending puzzle of loadouts.

It's not a grind to the next tier/unlock, there is no end-game?

Nefaro

#125
Quote from: SgtRock on January 07, 2014, 12:16:08 PM
Quote from: republic on January 06, 2014, 03:06:46 PM
Mechwarrior is essentially 'tierless'.  You can pilot whatever you can afford and use whatever weapons you can afford.  XP provides modifiers for your mechs, cools down faster, etc.

The fun of Mechwarrior Online is the same fun I always had with other Mechwarrior computer games.  The never ending puzzle of loadouts.

It's not a grind to the next tier/unlock, there is no end-game?

You still need to earn game credits to purchase new mechs and new equipment to put on them, so there is still some kind of progression.  Unless you just Wallet-Warrior it. 

There are also pilot skills to unlock in each type, using XP that is also gained in matches.

However, you don't have to grind through umpteen previous models to get into specific mechs and equipment.  The bigger stuff is generally more expensive but the price is the only prerequisite.

I enjoyed it enough earlier last year that I purchased a 'Premium' mech which gives bonus rewards in each match (bonus Credits IIRC) for when I want to play casually but still earn extra game credits when I use it, as if I had premium (minus the bonus xp in this case).  However, I've not played in a few months.  Been hoping they get the Meta stuff done eventually.

Mower

Been dabbling with it since beta but it desperately needs tactical missions to be relevant and have any long term life.

bayonetbrant

welcome Mower - have a look around :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Martok

Quote from: Mower on January 09, 2014, 07:46:30 PM
Been dabbling with it since beta but it desperately needs tactical missions to be relevant and have any long term life.
Welcome to Grogheads, Mower! 

I can't disagree with your assessment.  I still feel the biggest advantage a Mechwarrior/BattleTech game has is the game-world's lore -- something that's been largely (and sadly) neglected in MWO thus far. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

republic

It has been so long since I was involved with Battletech...I've forgotten all the lore I thought I knew lol


Martok

Quote from: republic on January 10, 2014, 02:11:58 PM
It has been so long since I was involved with Battletech...I've forgotten all the lore I thought I knew lol
Certainly I've forgotten much (and probably even a majority) of the lore I once knew, but at the very least I still recall the broad sweeps and most of the major events in that universe.  I normally don't care for crap-sack worlds, but something about Battletech/Mechwarrior has always interested me. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

GDS_Starfury

I still have all my books.  8)
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Martok

That makes at least two of us then.  :) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob