Has Apple Already Conquered the Game Market?

Started by bayonetbrant, April 22, 2012, 07:41:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nefaro

Quote from: MIGMaster on April 23, 2012, 08:37:50 AM
Apple...the "borg-like" culture they espouse bothers me. I can't explain it, but I just have a real inherent, innate, built-in or whatever you want to call it, dislike for Apple products and the whole Apple culture. I'm MIGMaster and I'm a PC, damn it !

Same here.  After working on computer hardware for years, I also grew to dislike Apple's iron-fisted market approach.  The common excuse I hear is that they do it for quality control, and that they have higher quality hardware, but I found that to be BS because they use some of the exact same low-cost hardware manufacturers that PCs do - even worse compared to some off-the-shelf PC brands.  ::)

It's like computer Jonestown with the SheeApple.

W8taminute

I don't think Apple has conquered the gaming market and I'm not even sure that is their goal.  What they have done is created the Earth's most advanced techno gadgets which makes it easy for us to take our amusing yet unsophisticated games with us where ever we go.


Subquestion:

Who has won the gaming wars?  Microsoft Xbox hands down.  More on this later...
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

TheCommandTent

Quote from: MIGMaster on April 23, 2012, 08:37:50 AM
Apple...the "borg-like" culture they espouse bothers me. I can't explain it, but I just have a real inherent, innate, built-in or whatever you want to call it, dislike for Apple products and the whole Apple culture. I'm MIGMaster and I'm a PC, damn it !

I have the same way of thinking.  Maybe because I've had to much close contact with to many Apple fan-boys who have said, in not so many words, that they are better then me for owning Apple products.  That being said I won't touch anything from that company.

As for the article.  Aren't the most hardcore Apple people the ones trying to do away with video games because they make us all killers??
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Staggerwing

I actually own four Apple computers of various vintages. I got into them because they are relatively simple to fix and resell and I've fixed up and sold  a number of them over the last five or six years. Note- I'm not claiming they are actually all easy to fix, just simple since there are way fewer models than there are of PC based computers. Also, OSX reminds me a lot of Ubuntu. Now, I also own five or six PCs of equally varied vintages so I'm not an Apple fanboi... just a hoarder. And I use my latest PC, built by Moi, as my main rig... Umm, that and my iPad2.  ;)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MIGMaster

You guys just remember that when the aliens come and they've been monitoring us thru their Apple Apple iPad 2N4^'s and land in their iSaucers after travelling thru iSpace, we could have headed things off by going back in time and feed Woz a bad burger !

Nefaro

Quote from: MIGMaster on April 23, 2012, 08:32:08 PM
You guys just remember that when the aliens come and they've been monitoring us thru their Apple Apple iPad 2N4^'s and land in their iSaucers after travelling thru iSpace, we could have headed things off by going back in time and feed Woz a bad burger !

Oh, I think Woz got fed.  'Fed Up' more like.   ;D

MIGMaster

Apparently Apple is getting out of the 17 inch laptop market:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-57418966-501465/apple-17-inch-macbook-pro-dead-analyst-predicts-demise/?tag=cbsnewsMainColumnArea

According to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, Apple would have got away with it if it hadn't been for the those meddlin' kids and their dog. I think they actually heard the info from a Foxconn employee who happened to be heaving himself out of a 25th story window.

Keunert

i ve been using apple desktops and laptops for personal and professional work for over ten years. i never got any problems in all those years. i never spent a single buck on support or anti virus software. but i also do not use torrents or other stuff that could be dangerous to your computer.

what i love about it is the ease of use: buy a phone start it and mail calendar adress list and everything else is here. no gmail adress to make the calendar work no such shit at all. this is a huge advantage for a tech noob like me.

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

bayonetbrant

Quote from: TheCommandTent on April 23, 2012, 06:49:56 PMI have the same way of thinking.  Maybe because I've had to much close contact with to many Apple fan-boys who have said, in not so many words, that they are better then me for owning Apple products.  That being said I won't touch anything from that company.

I'm pretty sure I've never tried to act like I'm better than anyone else just b/c I've got a Mac :)
I'm better than almost everyone else for plenty of other reasons!**

Quote from: TheCommandTent on April 23, 2012, 06:49:56 PMAren't the most hardcore Apple people the ones trying to do away with video games because they make us all killers??

I've been on Macs since 1984.  I currently own 6 (MackBook Air, MacBook Pro, iBook, Mac Mini, lime iMac, Powerbook 170).  I'm pretty sure I'm not trying to do away with games for anything.





** chief among them, my humility ;D
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Keunert

i do understand the sentiment against mac geeks though. when instagram went android there was quite an upcry and i really don't get that stuff.
owning a mac instead of a dell or a hp is no lifestyle statement for me. those who do think they are cool just handed over their sanity to an advertisement agency.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

ArizonaTank

This feels somewhat like the mid-80s when the gaming industry left the Amiga/C64/AppleII for the PC.  Amiga owners in particular thought their beloved gaming rigs would never be replaced.

But I don't think the future belongs to Apple.  Long term, I would put my money on the open standard android.  Once competitive feeding frenzy starts....we should start to see some real technical innovation, and dropping prices from the other than Apple crowd.

Finally I agree, the PC will be around for a long time yet...and indie devs will still be making great games for them for years.  But the big development houses will move on I am afraid.  They are already starting to.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 24, 2012, 05:41:12 AM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on April 23, 2012, 06:49:56 PMI have the same way of thinking.  Maybe because I've had to much close contact with to many Apple fan-boys who have said, in not so many words, that they are better then me for owning Apple products.  That being said I won't touch anything from that company.

I'm pretty sure I've never tried to act like I'm better than anyone else just b/c I've got a Mac :)
I'm better than almost everyone else for plenty of other reasons!**

Quote from: TheCommandTent on April 23, 2012, 06:49:56 PMAren't the most hardcore Apple people the ones trying to do away with video games because they make us all killers??


I've been on Macs since 1984.  I currently own 6 (MackBook Air, MacBook Pro, iBook, Mac Mini, lime iMac, Powerbook 170).  I'm pretty sure I'm not trying to do away with games for anything.





** chief among them, my humility ;D

Well played.   8)  Although I am sure you notice I did not say all Mac users just the majority I've had contact with.  You seem to be an exception despite that humility thing  :P
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

Quote from: ArizonaTank on April 24, 2012, 06:31:36 AM
This feels somewhat like the mid-80s when the gaming industry left the Amiga/C64/AppleII for the PC.  Amiga owners in particular thought their beloved gaming rigs would never be replaced.

But I don't think the future belongs to Apple.  Long term, I would put my money on the open standard android.  Once competitive feeding frenzy starts....we should start to see some real technical innovation, and dropping prices from the other than Apple crowd.

Finally I agree, the PC will be around for a long time yet...and indie devs will still be making great games for them for years.  But the big development houses will move on I am afraid.  They are already starting to.

Great point about the Amiga migration. I never gamed on one, but I did have a Macintosh and there was a time when it was my gaming rig. Temple of Ra, anyone? Art of War? Good stuff, there.

Anyway, it seems to me that Microsoft is making a play to the touch screen crowd with Win 8. Given the plethora of tablets and phones that are touch driven my crystal ball says we will be looking at a wild west of touch driven devices.

Will FPS games become touch-driven? My initial instinct says no, but then I had a flash of an idea where you get some kind of "death finger" where folks are using their fingers instead of a mouse to aim in a game. Who knows? But it might end up as a good thing, though when there's a paradigm shift there's no guarantee that the giants today will remain the giants of tomorrow.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

MIGMaster

I'm playing a touch FPS on my Playbook - Modern Combat 2. Sorta like CoD. One of the cool things you can do is duck or dodge to the side when things are coming straight at you. I'm still getting the hang of moving and shooting at the same time..........

Gusington

My Amiga 500 was my entry point into real gaming after my C-64...I loved that machine so very much. I saved for like a year to buy it too...I think it cost me 1000 dollars. My uncle, a computer engineer, went with me to buy it because I was only 15 at the time. He asked if I was sure I wanted an Amiga, and why not consider a PC. I said it was purely for gaming. He patted me on the head and said 'Enjoy...there is no better gaming computer.' When we got home and showed my computer illiterate Mom, she asked if I used my money wisely. Uncle didn't skip a beat, patted me on the head again and said with a big grin 'Why yes...yes he did.'

I had that Amiga for years, all through college, and loved it long time.

In 2005 I bought a Mac laptop for work. It has never crashed once, has been dropped, rained on, peed on and keep's on trucking. I have heard that Apple's quality has declined a bit lately, but my old laptop owes me nothing. Great machine.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd