World War 2 Time of Wrath free at GamersGate

Started by Greybriar, February 07, 2014, 01:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Greybriar

For a limited time GamersGate is offering World War 2 Time of Wrath free of charge. Just click on the button on its product page to add it to you account.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

WallysWorld

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

BanzaiCat


-budd-

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Greybriar

You're welcome, Wally, Banzai, and Budd.

By the way, in case you are wondering what the hotkey is to jump to the next unit, it's the Tab key.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Staggerwing

Thanks for the heads up Greybriar.

Added it to my list only to find I already had it, making 2 copies. What the hel, clicked again, now I have 3...  ???
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

steve58

Grabbed it, thanks.  May never play, but its mine now  :P
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

BanzaiCat

Always better to have games than have not games.

BanzaiCat

You want to hear something REALLY sad?

I thought, "This game sounds familiar" when I downloaded it. Looking through the manual, it became even more familiar.

That's because I wrote the %*(@# thing. LOL. How soon we forget.

-budd-

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on February 07, 2014, 09:58:39 PM
You want to hear something REALLY sad?

I thought, "This game sounds familiar" when I downloaded it. Looking through the manual, it became even more familiar.

That's because I wrote the %*(@# thing. LOL. How soon we forget.

Now thats funny ;D
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Ubercat

I grabbed the game.

I'm curious. There have been, what, 3-4 variations on this game so far? All about the same scale. Can anyone give a rundown on the progression and which one is best? I got the impression that the first game kind of sucked and then it was improved in a newer game. Am I correct in assuming that this is the earliest?

Wrath of War.
Nations of Destruction.
Time of Explosions.

Did I miss any?  ;D
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Toonces

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on February 07, 2014, 09:58:39 PM
You want to hear something REALLY sad?

I thought, "This game sounds familiar" when I downloaded it. Looking through the manual, it became even more familiar.

That's because I wrote the %*(@# thing. LOL. How soon we forget.

BC, seriously man, put down the bong.  I know it's legal now, but...well, you've had enough...  ;D
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Wolfe1759

#12
Quote from: Ubercat on February 07, 2014, 10:35:55 PM
I grabbed the game.

I'm curious. There have been, what, 3-4 variations on this game so far? All about the same scale. Can anyone give a rundown on the progression and which one is best? I got the impression that the first game kind of sucked and then it was improved in a newer game. Am I correct in assuming that this is the earliest?

Wrath of War.
Nations of Destruction.
Time of Explosions.

Did I miss any?  ;D

1) WW2: Road to Victory
2) WW2: Time of Wrath
3) Storm Over the Pacific
4) Time of Fury
5) Strategic War in Europe

All use the same basic engine being tweaked and modified with each iteration.

Graphics and UI have generally been improved with each release, however the modders generally do a much better job in the graphics department.

None were really ever finished before the developers moved onto their next release.

If you owned 1) you got 2) for free.

4) is the latest "full scale" version of the base game.

5) was supposed to have been released as a free update to 4) but never was.

The latest and much needed patch for 4) has been in public beta and I believe a subsequent non-public beta since February of last year with no sign of it being finished any time soon.

In essence 2) was a free patch for 1) (or possibly 1) could be seen as an Early Access  for 2) before people actually did Early Access), 3) was a new game on the same engine, 4) was a paid for patch for 2) which cost more than the base game, 5) was a free variant of 4) which you had to pay for !

As to which is best I'd go for Strategic Command, Commander Europe at War or Gary Grigsby's World at War a World Divided  :)
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

Tosh

Quote from: Wolfe1759 on February 08, 2014, 07:02:32 AM

None were really ever finished before the developers moved onto their next release.

As to which is best I'd go for Strategic Command, Commander Europe at War or Gary Grigsby's World at War a World Divided  :)

+1

This sums it up perfectly.
(I own all of them, but got more and more disappointed, as new features would be introduced, while old bugs and issues with the overall game play balance were still untouched. Now I play neither of them.)

Ian C

#14
Quote from: Wolfe1759 on February 08, 2014, 07:02:32 AM


As to which is best I'd go for ...Commander Europe at War ...

In my opinion, with the GS 3 upgrade mod, the best Strategic European game experience currenly. It's possibly the best one so far to capture the boardgame tabletop feel.

Mod link: http://www.slitherine.com/ceaw_gs3