In the days of my youth, I was told what it was to be a FRIDAY!!!!!!

Started by MetalDog, February 07, 2014, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Toonces

Sippin' scotch and groovin' on Skyrim.  I'm almost done with the Dawnguard DLC, after which I plan to pick up and finish the remainder of the main quest.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

sandman2575

Quote from: Kushan on February 07, 2014, 03:23:21 PM
The Norse starts are really fun as well if you have the Old Gods. My favorite is the Chief of Dublin. You start with the great heathen army and are tasked with getting revenge on one of the Saxon lords who killed your father, Rragnar Lothbrok. The great heathen army doesn't generate reinforcements, but it served as the core of my army during my conquest of British Isles. Also used it for raiding the French, Spanish, and Italian coast lines, since it was strong enough to take on most of the armies the smaller feudal lords could muster.

I'm increasingly of the mind that CKII is P'dox's masterpiece. From top to bottom, it's an extraordinary game -- & with the expansions, the possibilities for different styles if play seems limitless. 

W8taminute

I'm trying to finish up my massive Dominions 4 single player game.  I just got a dire portent though stating that Atlantis is on the verge of some sort of spell that will send all other pretenders to be locked up unless someone captures their throne of ascendancy.  I'm too wrapped up in a bitter war to the death with those scum Niefelheim to be concerned about being locked up somewhere though. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Kushan

Quote from: mikeck on February 07, 2014, 04:59:06 PM
"Arc light" is a great book. Kushan, this sounds like an awesome scenario. I really want to simulate a battle where I get to exchange intercontinental ballistic missiles with the Soviet Union.... go back-and-forth and then try to fight a conventional war with what's left over. Would love to see airbases and naval bases. I can't wait for the scenario and I really hope you figure out a way to get it done

Hard part is going to be keeping the unit count to something reasonable.

Quote from: sandman2575 on February 07, 2014, 07:26:59 PM
I'm increasingly of the mind that CKII is P'dox's masterpiece. From top to bottom, it's an extraordinary game -- & with the expansions, the possibilities for different styles if play seems limitless.

I agree. I have about ~150 hours of EUIV, and I think CK2 is the better game. I like most of systems in EUIV, but there is a lot more variety in the game play in CK2. One or two bad rulers in CK2, and your realm will can apart. If the same thing happens in EUIV, all you do is fall a little behind in tech and national ideas. if you had a weak ruler in EUIV, I'd really like for it to give a substantial increase to rebellions etc. One would think Scotland or Ireland would rise in rebellion if England had a few bad rulers.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

mikeck

I agree. I really have to be in the mood for CK2 but whether I am or not, I see that it is one of the most complex, polished and fun games ever made. It is one of those rare games where you actually create a story as you play
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

So far I've ended up spending most of my gaming time this weekend with Sniper Elite 2 on PC and GTAV on the 360. The bullet cam never gets old in SE and GTA really is a crowning achievement for consoles.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Toonces

Heh.  I'm actually installing GTAIV on Steam right now.  I picked it up over Xmas but haven't played it yet.

In between, since I finished Skyrim and I'm just not digging the beginning of the Dragonborn DLC, I've been playing a bit of Oblivion.  I fired up Metro2033 for a bit, but it didn't hook me.

I believe I'm going to fire up CK2 for a while right now.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

undercovergeek

Played some eu4 as Austria to finalise my learning game..... having found the God of paradox let's plays in a guy called arumba who knows everything about ckii and eu I'm going to start proper as Austria and keep my hands on the hre this time

Some more di Parma ckii

Sometimes I get an urge for Rome ckii

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Toonces on February 09, 2014, 12:59:48 AM
Heh.  I'm actually installing GTAIV on Steam right now.  I picked it up over Xmas but haven't played it yet.

In between, since I finished Skyrim and I'm just not digging the beginning of the Dragonborn DLC, I've been playing a bit of Oblivion.  I fired up Metro2033 for a bit, but it didn't hook me.

I believe I'm going to fire up CK2 for a while right now.

I enjoyed GTAIV, but GTAV is just in a different league. There are so many little details that just bring the world to life like nothing I have ever experienced in a video game. I actually spent about an hour just in a strip club getting a lap dance. It was so authentic that Amy, who was in the room reading a book, started watching and was getting pissed off. lol.

As to GTAIV, though, there are some really cool mods too. My favorite was one that turns it into a police simulator. Very cool,

On another note, the Metro games never grabbed me either. After the STALKER series, Metro just felt too linear.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Toonces

That sounds pretty awesome.  The only GTA I've really played is Vice City, and that was years and years ago.  If IV can grab me I'll have to look at getting V.

Man, CK2 is such a crazy game.  I'm playing as a duke of Normandy.  I have slowly been acquiring a few neighboring territories, I have all my daughters married off to kings of other countries, and generally things are going pretty well. 

And then all of a sudden BAM!  I'm not sure what happened by France completely fragmented into pieces, everyone is fighting with everyone else, and I have a claim to the kindgom of France I can press.  How did that happen?  I had to save it and turn it off.  I had way too much scotch to make such big decisions last night!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Kushan

Quote from: Toonces on February 09, 2014, 02:43:48 PM
Man, CK2 is such a crazy game.  I'm playing as a duke of Normandy.  I have slowly been acquiring a few neighboring territories, I have all my daughters married off to kings of other countries, and generally things are going pretty well. 

And then all of a sudden BAM!  I'm not sure what happened by France completely fragmented into pieces, everyone is fighting with everyone else, and I have a claim to the kindgom of France I can press.  How did that happen?  I had to save it and turn it off.  I had way too much scotch to make such big decisions last night!

Did you start as William the Conqueror or one of the other start dates? France has a tendency to fragment and have a civil war ever 15-20 years in CK2. Never been able to figure out why, either everyone wants to be king of France, or all the major dukes are part of the same family and get a claim on the throne.

I once declared war on France as England in EUIV after having consumed too much whiskey. Did not end well for the English.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

undercovergeek

Quote from: Kushan on February 09, 2014, 03:39:10 PM
I once declared war on France as England in EUIV after having consumed too much whiskey. Did not end well for the English.

i wonder how many great generals, emperors and kings have sat back, hiccuped and gone 'ooops' when it all came tumbling down

Toonces

Quote from: Kushan on February 09, 2014, 03:39:10 PM
Quote from: Toonces on February 09, 2014, 02:43:48 PM
Man, CK2 is such a crazy game.  I'm playing as a duke of Normandy.  I have slowly been acquiring a few neighboring territories, I have all my daughters married off to kings of other countries, and generally things are going pretty well. 

And then all of a sudden BAM!  I'm not sure what happened by France completely fragmented into pieces, everyone is fighting with everyone else, and I have a claim to the kindgom of France I can press.  How did that happen?  I had to save it and turn it off.  I had way too much scotch to make such big decisions last night!

Did you start as William the Conqueror or one of the other start dates? France has a tendency to fragment and have a civil war ever 15-20 years in CK2. Never been able to figure out why, either everyone wants to be king of France, or all the major dukes are part of the same family and get a claim on the throne.

I once declared war on France as England in EUIV after having consumed too much whiskey. Did not end well for the English.

Yeah, that sounds right.  I'm William the Bastard, but the game started with me doing the Norman Invasion, which I failed because it didn't occur to me to hire a bunch of mercenaries. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

MetalDog

Just goes to show how what you think you are going to do and what you actually do are sometimes two totally different things, I said my Civ MP partners were busy this weekend.  Turns out, all I have played is Civ IV MP.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Father Ted

And yet there seems to have been some sort of communication breakdown - so few people following your lead, sorry led, in this thread.