Hegemony rome: rise of caesar early access

Started by Grim.Reaper, February 05, 2014, 09:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Bison

Looking forward to it.  I've got high hopes, but that being said I'm pretty burnt out on early access games being the new norm.  Pay to beta test is not cool if it ever was cool.

Jarhead0331

I question why this is taking so long to develop. Is it an entirely new engine from the prior game in the series? If so, how will this game differ from its predecessor, aside from the obvious?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Gusington

I've been lookng forward to this for a long time, but not for early access. I'm waiting for the full release too.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mikeck

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 06, 2014, 07:06:15 AM
I question why this is taking so long to develop. Is it an entirely new engine from the prior game in the series? If so, how will this game differ from its predecessor, aside from the obvious?

Now this is what concerns me: originally this game is going to be out anyear ago..now it's coming out in two weeks now for Alpha stage? I don't know just don't see a great game coming out here will say
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

sandman2575

Maybe the Longbow folks are just hardcore perfectionists?   :-\

Just trying to look on the bright side of these delays, which I agree, don't necessarily bode well.  I had (have?) high hopes for Hegemony Rome. When Hegemony Philip of Macedon came out, it really impressed me as a very polished game, especially for such a small developer.  I hope Rome comes to similar fruition.

Martok

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 06, 2014, 07:06:15 AM
I question why this is taking so long to develop. Is it an entirely new engine from the prior game in the series?
I've no idea, but FWIW, I seem to recall Philip of Macedon took forever to develop -- from initial announcement to release -- as well. 

I wonder if sandman's question isn't closer to the mark (that perhaps Longbow are OCD/perfectionist) than any of us realize.  Not that that would make it any less frustrating for the long development time (even if it is, in fact, the case), but it would certainly explain quite a bit. 



Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 06, 2014, 07:06:15 AM
If so, how will this game differ from its predecessor, aside from the obvious?
Another good question.  I seem to recall the map is going to be both much larger and more detailed, but I'll admit I don't remember what else might be different (other than the content, of course). 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Nefaro

I'm hoping the new mechanics, and the extensive background history narrated in the background, are what is taking them a long time. 

And testing.  I'd much rather they take their sweet time and test the hell out of it.  Much to their credit, Longbow Games put out a lot of patches for the first Hegemony for quite a long time after release.  As far as I know they're probably still doing so if there are any issues still being reported.  So I get the impression that they probably are perfectionists if the previous game is any indication. 

These days, with so many video and tabletop games backed up on my play list, I would prefer developers take their sweet time in getting these things out in excellent condition from day 1.  Because I just end up shelving the buggy unfinished stuff that I pay top dollar for on release day, waiting until it's been patched months later (for a couple reasons).  I'm not into buying PC games early these days because I just end up waiting on patches and not playing them.  Defeats the purpose of buying early, ya know?

Hopefully they are getting everything tidied up so the release day reviews are glowing.  I'm sure most developers want this, but not all of them have as much control over it as these small companies.  :D

Gusington

^Yeah IIRC Longbow is really made up of three guys...
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Kushan

I'd rather they take as much time with is as they need. If they want to release an early access/paid public beta, more power to them IMO. No ones holding a gun to your head and forcing you to purchase it early. But in my experience if the developers actually listen to their early access buyers, are willing to mike changes to their game design, and can weed through all the crap, it makes for a much better final product. Most recent example for me has been the Command developers, who have literally added things into the game or onto the list of things to add, with only a simple request from someone in Baloogans jabbr chat room. Not sure if the longbow guys fall into that category, but I have high hopes after Hegemony Gold.

Quote from: Gusington on February 06, 2014, 08:28:25 PM
^Yeah IIRC Longbow is really made up of three guys...

IIRC, Who fund their war games buy making casual/arcade games.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Nefaro

#11
Quote from: Kushan on February 06, 2014, 09:40:03 PM
I'd rather they take as much time with is as they need. If they want to release an early access/paid public beta, more power to them IMO. No ones holding a gun to your head and forcing you to purchase it early. But in my experience if the developers actually listen to their early access buyers, are willing to mike changes to their game design, and can weed through all the crap, it makes for a much better final product. Most recent example for me has been the Command developers, who have literally added things into the game or onto the list of things to add, with only a simple request from someone in Baloogans jabbr chat room. Not sure if the longbow guys fall into that category, but I have high hopes after Hegemony Gold.


Absolutely.  I'm all for Early Access buy-ins as it tends to add a lot more potential testers to the mix and far more feedback.  I think doing this is a win-win for everyone if the developers are willing to make good use of such feedback. 

I was referring to any 'Official' release when saying I hope it comes out in good shape from the extra time it has taken them.  If they put it out on Early Access and mark it as such then it's really not officially finished yet.  I'm more down on big company games that release $50 or $60 worth of buggy unfinished crap that was never in an Early Access state, or one that was in such an Early Release but was deemed finished when it wasn't.  Mostly the prior situation.  Then you end up having to wait much longer for all the patching to slow down before digging seriously into a campaign because some update will inevitably break something and/or fix some big issues but only if you start with a fresh campaign.   I think you guys have all experienced this with at least one game before, and likely more.  You end up putting it away for a long time in the hopes that everything will get fixed up at some point and you can start a new game that will run awhile without being interrupted.

As for Longbow Games, specifically, my experience with them has been superb.  Probably one of the most customer friendly bunch I've given money to.  Not only regarding an excellent stance on draconian DRM but practically giving away the Gold upgrade to those who purchased the earlier version of Hegemony, after it was re-released.  I think that I paid around five bucks to get the Gold version, which essentially made it cheap DLC since it added a sandbox mode and more.  I have no reason to doubt that they will get things done right in more ways than one.   :D

sandman2575

SOooooo... early access is out-- anyone playing?

I've never paid for early access, but this might be the exception.  I thought Hegemony Philip of Mac. was fantastic and want these guys at Longbow to succeed --

Jarhead0331

I've been enjoying Chapter 1 of the campaign, but there are some pretty glaring bugs at this point. Be prepared for this being early access.

Still it is playable, fun and extremely promising.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 12, 2014, 09:52:18 PM
I've been enjoying Chapter 1 of the campaign, but there are some pretty glaring bugs at this point. Be prepared for this being early access.

Still it is playable, fun and extremely promising.

Thanks for the info JH.

I expect the dev team to have the bugs & such all fixed up eventually.  They really went the extra mile doing so with the previous game.