Beyond the Sideline Football: American Football Career Game (OOTP)

Started by Grim.Reaper, January 30, 2014, 07:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: reapagan on February 18, 2014, 06:39:43 PM
Looks like it's available pretty readily for $10 to $15 on amazon or ebay used. This http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wahP9cwAPHk is a you tube link for gameplay, like I said old but effective.  League play is deep and it has the best playmaking editor.

I remember playing it back in the day, it was very good.  Just concerned if would work in win 8 and on modern resolutions.  You mentioned sites with current rosters and such, you have a link?

BanzaiCat

^ That's Front Page Sports Football Pro, no?

Man, I LOVED that game. :D

Capn Darwin

Oh hell ya! FPS Football Pro was awesome. I think the series peaked in 96 and the transition to 3D was a disaster as Dynamix imploded and was bought out. Almost 20 years later and no game has come close to the features and simulation nature of that game. Hold out some hope that this game at least gets on the right track. I miss building a custom playbook, printing it out and then going head to head with a friend with his team and playbook because the game had that cool spreadsheet selection ability for plays in the book. Those were good times.  :'(
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

BanzaiCat

I had the '95 version, and played that for years.



(Of course, that video play WOULD be against the Vikings...LOL)

Capn Darwin

On my gaming shelf of fame behind me is the original FPS Football, FPS 95 and FPS 96. Also XOR Football. All in the boxes with floppies and all.  8)
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

reapagan

FPS 99 was the disaster that they tried to match madden with, 3d action game, never finished and bad. So bad that Sierra offered refunds for it, unheard of at the time. FPS pro through 98 are all good, just had features added incrementally.  I'm still playing a league with a buddy of mine, can't wait to finish the season, draft new players with only a hint of potential and send them to training camp. I don't know about Win8 but runs fine on win7 in admin mode.  I also heard that there is a way to play FPS on androids, really gotta look into that. 

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Capn Darwin on February 18, 2014, 08:23:39 PM
On my gaming shelf of fame behind me is the original FPS Football, FPS 95 and FPS 96. Also XOR Football. All in the boxes with floppies and all.  8)

I wish I still had mine. No idea what happened to it.

Nefaro

Quote from: reapagan on February 18, 2014, 09:02:57 PM
FPS 99 was the disaster that they tried to match madden with, 3d action game, never finished and bad. So bad that Sierra offered refunds for it, unheard of at the time. FPS pro through 98 are all good, just had features added incrementally.  I'm still playing a league with a buddy of mine, can't wait to finish the season, draft new players with only a hint of potential and send them to training camp. I don't know about Win8 but runs fine on win7 in admin mode.  I also heard that there is a way to play FPS on androids, really gotta look into that.

I'm willing to give it a shot.  Probably on my notebook since the screen resolution is probably rather low.

Nefaro

I was curious after seeing everyone mention how FB Pro '98 was the best of it's kind so I grabbed it. 

The game installed fine on my Win7-64 but the patch just refuses to run (like most Win95 game patches - they 16bit or something?).  Anyone know if there are patch files in a zip instead of this patch EXE?

I see there's a VPNFL mod but I don't think it includes the patch.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Nefaro on February 22, 2014, 07:23:13 PM
I was curious after seeing everyone mention how FB Pro '98 was the best of it's kind so I grabbed it. 

The game installed fine on my Win7-64 but the patch just refuses to run (like most Win95 game patches - they 16bit or something?).  Anyone know if there are patch files in a zip instead of this patch EXE?

I see there's a VPNFL mod but I don't think it includes the patch.

Did you come across any season files that represent recent seasons...or are they all still from the 90's?

KyzBP

Quote from: Nefaro on February 22, 2014, 07:23:13 PM
I was curious after seeing everyone mention how FB Pro '98 was the best of it's kind so I grabbed it. 

The game installed fine on my Win7-64 but the patch just refuses to run (like most Win95 game patches - they 16bit or something?).  Anyone know if there are patch files in a zip instead of this patch EXE?

I see there's a VPNFL mod but I don't think it includes the patch.

Mine ran fine in my Win7-64 machine.  I ran it in admin mode and I think I changed my compatibility to XP...I think.  It's worth a try.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Nefaro on February 22, 2014, 07:23:13 PM
I was curious after seeing everyone mention how FB Pro '98 was the best of it's kind so I grabbed it. 

The game installed fine on my Win7-64 but the patch just refuses to run (like most Win95 game patches - they 16bit or something?).  Anyone know if there are patch files in a zip instead of this patch EXE?

I see there's a VPNFL mod but I don't think it includes the patch.

I think I might have something for you on the patch file....if you want, PM your personal email and I will send.

Nefaro

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 22, 2014, 08:48:20 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on February 22, 2014, 07:23:13 PM
I was curious after seeing everyone mention how FB Pro '98 was the best of it's kind so I grabbed it. 

The game installed fine on my Win7-64 but the patch just refuses to run (like most Win95 game patches - they 16bit or something?).  Anyone know if there are patch files in a zip instead of this patch EXE?

I see there's a VPNFL mod but I don't think it includes the patch.

I think I might have something for you on the patch file....if you want, PM your personal email and I will send.

Thanks, I'll PM you.

Here's the site with the mod and some later season files:

http://www.pnfl.biz/vpnfl/index.html

It had some game file rosters and such up to 2003 AFAICT.


Thus far I've ran the un-patched game just fine in Win7.  It's just the patch executable that refuses to run.   :-\

Nefaro

Thanks to Grim Reaper for extracting the Football Pro 98 patch files and sending them to me.  That did the trick!

Now this oldie is running in all it's splendor on my Win7 laptop, with the latest patch.   Got halfway through a game.  Damn, you guys weren't kidding - the game sims out wonderfully from what I see thus far.  The in-game action is very believable.   :D 

It's been running rock solid thus far.  No indications of issues.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Nefaro on February 23, 2014, 08:43:01 PM
Thanks to Grim Reaper for extracting the Football Pro 98 patch files and sending them to me.  That did the trick!

Now this oldie is running in all it's splendor on my Win7 laptop, with the latest patch.   Got halfway through a game.  Damn, you guys weren't kidding - the game sims out wonderfully from what I see thus far.  The in-game action is very believable.   :D 

It's been running rock solid thus far.  No indications of issues.

It was/is  a good game....such a same that all those sports games from Sierra just died and never continued...I could only imagine what they would be like now if they kept up.