Main Menu

Stardrive 2

Started by steve58, February 26, 2014, 04:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

steve58

...officially announced.  Possibly interested in this, but will definitively wait until its been out a while and reviewed out the wahzoo... 

Quote
Iceberg Interactive and Zero Sum Games have now officially announced StarDrive 2, aka the title previously known as StarDrive Unity in our List of Games You Can't Miss in 2014 article. Despite the name change, StarDrive 2 is not going to be real-time all the time like its predecessor, but instead will be turn-based with real-time combat only, as we've previously reported. We've known for a while now that a game was in development, ever since our interview a few months ago, but now we know its name and its projected release timeframe, which is September 2014.

The price has been set as well, and it will be $29.99 at launch on Steam, as well as other digital channels and boxed retail. This isn't entirely unexpected, but what did come as somewhat of a surprise is that owners of StarDrive will be receiving a 33% discount on StarDrive 2. This time around, the power of Unity is also allowing StarDrive 2 to have a simultaneous release on Mac and Linux as well as PC.

http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2014/02/star-drive-2-officially-announced/



Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Martok

Incidentally, here's the direct link to Iceberg's press release. 


I'm definitely looking forward to this one.  I know the first SD game was far from a slam-dunk, and I remain unhappy over how some of my fellow Kickstarter backers (such as Jarhead and Tpek) kinda got screwed, but I have to admit the sequel looks & sounds good so far.  I doubt I'll be picking it up right out the gate, but unless it's a true flop, it'll probably be a must-buy for me. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Bison

This is a new trend that is starting to piss me off.  Release a piece o' crap game and then rather than fix it through patches and expansion; let's just release a whole new game and abandon the first one.  This really gets my Thursday morning blood up!  Now I need a cup of coffee.

bbmike

After watching Horizon crumble my hopes for all of these 4x space games is very low. I think Predestination is due up next?  :-\
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

weateallthepies

Quote from: Bison on February 27, 2014, 06:26:09 AM
This is a new trend that is starting to piss me off.  Release a piece o' crap game and then rather than fix it through patches and expansion; let's just release a whole new game and abandon the first one.  This really gets my Thursday morning blood up!  Now I need a cup of coffee.

^this

Anyone want to buy my early access game? Currently there is just a plot and some pretty pictures, but you can think about playing it as much as you like. Plus there are Steam Achievements for paying me money!...and er thinking the right things about it!

Anguille

I'll keep an eye on it even i still haven't installed the first one (which i backed up). Just finished two games of MOO2 (one defeat and one victory), i still have so many games from the past that i have to play...

sandman2575

So does that mean dev considers Stardrive original done?  Or rather, "done"?    I was under the impression that it was still a work in progress...

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Bison on February 27, 2014, 06:26:09 AM
This is a new trend that is starting to piss me off.  Release a piece o' crap game and then rather than fix it through patches and expansion; let's just release a whole new game and abandon the first one.  This really gets my Thursday morning blood up!  Now I need a cup of coffee.

I was thinking the same thing.

But hey... previous owners get a "whopping" 33% off of Stardive 2.  ::)

I give huge props to Arcen Games, who gave purchasers of A Valley Without Wind a copy of A Valley Without Wind 2 for free. That is a model I can support.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

solops

Quote from: Martok on February 27, 2014, 04:36:22 AM
I'm definitely looking forward to this one.  I know the first SD game was far from a slam-dunk, and I remain unhappy over how some of my fellow Kickstarter backers (such as Jarhead and Tpek) kinda got screwed, but I have to admit the sequel looks & sounds good so far.  I doubt I'll be picking it up right out the gate, but unless it's a true flop, it'll probably be a must-buy for me.

Yeah. I did the kickstart thingy, too and I feel thoroughly screwed over. The whole thing was about as close to fraud as you can get as far as I am concerned, in spirit if not in fact. No way I will ever do the kickstart or early release again on anything. The only other thing I have gotten into is "War for the Overworld" a Dungeonkeeper 2 type game. So far, they are delivering the goods, but they have a long way to go. But, that guy with Stardrive? Forget him. I'll have to see the finished goods before he gets another dime.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin
Bless those who heal our injuries.
Customer support by AI is evil.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: solops on February 27, 2014, 07:06:07 PM
Quote from: Martok on February 27, 2014, 04:36:22 AM
I'm definitely looking forward to this one.  I know the first SD game was far from a slam-dunk, and I remain unhappy over how some of my fellow Kickstarter backers (such as Jarhead and Tpek) kinda got screwed, but I have to admit the sequel looks & sounds good so far.  I doubt I'll be picking it up right out the gate, but unless it's a true flop, it'll probably be a must-buy for me.

Yeah. I did the kickstart thingy, too and I feel thoroughly screwed over. The whole thing was about as close to fraud as you can get as far as I am concerned, in spirit if not in fact. No way I will ever do the kickstart or early release again on anything. The only other thing I have gotten into is "War for the Overworld" a Dungeonkeeper 2 type game. So far, they are delivering the goods, but they have a long way to go. But, that guy with Stardrive? Forget him. I'll have to see the finished goods before he gets another dime.

I'm not quite sure why you feel so strongly cheated on this one. Is Stardrive the best 4x game ever made? Absolutely not...however, it is far from the worst. While the steam key fiasco was annoying, I did get mine sorted out. I think there are much bigger kickstarter flops out there. Stardrive was at least playable and in some respects enjoyable. It had some interesting ideas.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


mikeck

Yeah, I enjoyed Stardrive. Wasn't the game of the year but I had fun with it and once it was patched up, it pretty much delivered what was promised I think.

I feel really screwed on Horizon because it just blows. It's like the kid who instead of coloring balls and making a solar system for science class, just draws the planets on cardboard. Just half-assed

"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

skeptical.platypus

I got stardrive after release and enjoyed it a fair amount. It's probably the 4x space game I'd return to (unless I finally get around to Endless Space. I keep forgetting I have that) if the itch needed scratching. I'll be looking forward to stardrive2, although the move toward automation worries me a bit. I could never get into Distant Worlds because I felt I was a traffic controller, not a dashing hero of humanity assuring unfettered underboobage to all. And cheese.

(Some of the ship hulls from the posted SD2 screenshots look good to me, too. I have a weird thing where I my enjoyment of any space genre is seriously affected by how much I like the looks of the spaceships. 3rd greatest failure of SW: Episode 1 was those stupid silver ships.)
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

Martok

#12
Quote from: mikeck on February 27, 2014, 07:38:17 PM
Yeah, I enjoyed Stardrive. Wasn't the game of the year but I had fun with it and once it was patched up, it pretty much delivered what was promised I think.
That's pretty much my feeling as well.  As Jarhead said, it's certainly not the best 4x game out there, but I do feel like I got my money's worth. 




Quote from: mikeck on February 27, 2014, 07:38:17 PM
I feel really screwed on Horizon because it just blows. It's like the kid who instead of coloring balls and making a solar system for science class, just draws the planets on cardboard. Just half-assed
I'll admit, I'd been wary of Horizon for a while, and am not surprised by how it's turned out so far.  I liked some of the gameplay elements, and I loved the concept they were going for, but I was worried about the devs' actual execution. 

I still purchased the game when it became available on Steam's early-access program, and I remain hopeful it'll eventually become decent in time, provided it gets sufficient updates.  For now, though, I'm holding off. 




Quote from: skeptical.platypus on February 27, 2014, 08:22:53 PM
I'll be looking forward to stardrive2, although the move toward automation worries me a bit.
Where'd you see that SD2 was going to have increased automation?  With the main part of the game now being turn-based, I'd think there would actually be *less* need for automation, not more. 



Quote from: skeptical.platypus on February 27, 2014, 08:22:53 PM
I could never get into Distant Worlds because I felt I was a traffic controller, not a dashing hero of humanity assuring unfettered underboobage to all. And cheese.
LOL. 

I think I understand where you're coming from.  However, there's nothing that says you have to personally "take the reigns of empire" yourself.  One of the things I like to do in DW is let the AI run things while I run around and play Captain (with a single ship) or an Admiral (with a fleet).  I recommend trying it at least once (if you haven't already). 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

skeptical.platypus

@Martok,

I just checked back on the SD2 stuff I've seen, and I don't know where I came up with the "increased automation" allegation, either. I'd like to believe I've confused it with some other release, but the more likely answer is that I'm just confused.  :)

Your Distant Worlds and the 1st Stilton Liberation Fleet is a very good suggestion.
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

Martok

Quote from: skeptical.platypus on February 28, 2014, 04:19:24 PM
but the more likely answer is that I'm just confused.  :)
Well then you're in good company.  8) 



Quote from: skeptical.platypus on February 28, 2014, 04:19:24 PM
Your Distant Worlds and the 1st Stilton Liberation Fleet is a very good suggestion.
Thanks, I hope it does the trick for you! 

Not that it's any guarantee, of course -- it's entirely still possible that DW simply isn't your cup of tea.  However, given the different play-styles the game allows for, I would've felt remiss if I didn't at least suggest it.  :) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces