Sovereignty Crown of Kings weekly spotlights

Started by Lord Zimoa, March 05, 2014, 12:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Lord Zimoa

Sovereignty Crown of Kings weekly spotlight:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3563353

or

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=175&t=48679


P.S. Please for when you have game Q`s or comments, post them on the game respective forums, we track those. Thanks ;-)

tgb

I forgot all about this.  What is the currently release date?

Nefaro

Quote from: tgb on March 05, 2014, 12:47:30 PM
I forgot all about this.  What is the currently release date?

I don't think the beta is even scheduled yet so I've not been expecting it for awhile still.

From what little I've gathered it has some card-driven gameplay, kinda strategy boardgame-ish.  Which is enough to keep me checking back.

Martok

Thanks for the update, Lord Zimoa!  This is one of the games on my "list" (that I'm very much looking forward to).  :) 




Quote from: tgb on March 05, 2014, 12:47:30 PM
I forgot all about this.  What is the currently release date?
I seem to recall the devs at one point saying they were hoping for sometime this spring.  However, even assuming my memory isn't faulty (and please note that I'm *not* assuming that!) -- and setting aside that the devs emphasized that wasn't a firm date -- that comment was made months ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if the release has been pushed back since then. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bbmike

Yeah, I totally forgot about this as well. I'll add it to my to my list of games I'm looking forward to. I like the look of the map!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Martok

Me too.  In fact, that map is probably one of the nicest/coolest ones I've ever seen in a strategy game.  I think it'll help a lot with lending it atmosphere. 


Also, I absolutely love the unit "cards".  It gives Sovereignty (to borrow Nefaro's line) something of a board-game feel, which I really like. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Anguille


JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Steelgrave

Hello! What's this and how did I miss it? Welcome to a snuggly place on my gaming radar, beautiful!  :)

undercovergeek


TheCommandTent

I really hope the game play is as appealing as the visuals are.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Martok

Quote from: Steelgrave on March 06, 2014, 07:26:42 PM
Hello! What's this and how did I miss it? Welcome to a snuggly place on my gaming radar, beautiful!  :)
Well if you would just stop by the Matrix/Slitherine forums more than once a year, you might stumble upon the odd gem or two.  (That, and/or obsessively search the internet for new fantasy grand-strategy games every few months or so...)  :P 




Quote from: TheCommandTent on March 07, 2014, 06:31:04 AM
I really hope the game play is as appealing as the visuals are.
Seconded.  Keeping my fingers crossed! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Steelgrave

Quote from: Martok on March 07, 2014, 03:10:17 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on March 06, 2014, 07:26:42 PM
Hello! What's this and how did I miss it? Welcome to a snuggly place on my gaming radar, beautiful!  :)
Well if you would just stop by the Matrix/Slitherine forums more than once a year, you might stumble upon the odd gem or two.  (That, and/or obsessively search the internet for new fantasy grand-strategy games every few months or so...)  :P 


Why would I do that when I have my minions here ready to report the latest and greatest?   8)

Martok

We've been over this, Dad.  I'm not your minion -- not even when I'm mowing your lawn.  8) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

FarAway Sooner

I've been browsing the Slitherine website today, and this looks like a very cool game.  I'm not sure how I missed news on it before, but development has been proceeding very gradually, so maybe it hasn't received as much press as some of the other titles.  Fantasy TBS is totally my favorite genre these days, and any game that bills itself as Master of Magic meets Risk meets Panzer General has my attention!

The notion of a set map and 35 different fixed factions (spread across 5 different races) at the start sounds intriguing.  I only hope that they do a decent job of mixing in a P vs E element with a P vs P element, as the best 4x games in recent years have all had a vigorous environmental challenge and fantasy 4x titles in particular offer great ways to work in that player-vs-environment piece.  That also lends more randomness to start games, because otherwise, I could see the P-v-P piece getting tiresome. 

Aside from the features listing on the Slitherine webpage (which are intriguing but also relatively generic-sounding), I can't find hardly any trade press on this title.  That's not a bad thing, but I do hope the developers are able to field the resources to make a tight game.

Of course, I think some of the best entrants in this genre in the last 15 years (Eador: Genesis and the Dominions series both come to mind) have been made by small, indie shops.