The Discerning Grog, or Just an Ornery Old Bastard?

Started by Gusington, March 09, 2014, 07:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gusington

So I had these grand visions of gaming this weekend but didn't get around to sitting in front of my PC until Sunday night. Launched AoE 2 to play the Dracula campaign and decided...I can't really ever play this game again, it's just too old and back in 1998 I put probably 1000 hours into it...but that was then, etc. Then I launched Castlevania: Lords of Shadow for a few minutes and thought...damn this game is just too twitchy and on rails...can't do it. Deleted both games off my drive.

I think I've finally reached the age where I just don't struggle with a game anymore if it doesn't grab me within a specified amount of time, whereas just a few years ago I would keep pounding at these games, trying to force myself to like them. Not anymore.

On the flip side, earlier this year, I played Unity of Command for weeks, really enjoying learning it. Years ago it would have probably been too deep and serious a title for me to get into. So either now I am really ornery, really old or really mature. Maybe a combination of both. I am hoping this new found sense of a 'discerning gamer' helps me save money moving forward :)

But it also leaves me with the simple question: wtf am I going to play? I intended to 'cleanse my cleaning palette' after playing Rome 2 for about 6 weeks straight (and loving it). Do I just stick with what works and forget about trying to expand my gaming horizons? I'm leaning in that direction as Rome 2 has really been scratching my gaming itch lately, and Pontus beckons.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Don't you have approximately thirty games you haven't even played yet?

Gusington

That I haven't played at all? No not 30, closer to about 5 or so.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on March 09, 2014, 07:51:23 PM
That I haven't played at all? No not 30, closer to about 5 or so.

Oh.

Maybe that is my total, then.

MetalDog

If you are looking for something to sink your time in, give EUIV a try.  I can't be the only one new at this around here.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

^From your thread I am really tempted but I have failed at every other Paradox title I have tried...they just don't click with me. Unless EUIV is truly different from previous games, I don't want to waste the money.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Barthheart

Since you tried, and liked, Unity of Command, maybe try some other entry level wargames.

Battle Academy is a great entry level.
Heroes of Stalingrad is as well, only a small step up from BA.

eyebiter

.
#7
.

skeptical.platypus

Definitely more discerning grog than ornery old bastard.

If you were an ornery old bastard, when you logged onto AoE, you'd have posted something "Damn kids, get off my server!" but in all caps.

Also not sure how many ornery old bastards paint themselves blue, in public. Don't know if you actually do that, but it would be one way to resolve doubt.

And, finally, solipsistic.platypus is pretty well damn convinced that you can't be an ornery old bastard without being older than him.
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

mikeck

I generally play fairly complex games . I have EU4, CMANO and Flashpoint campaigns lines up. Yet, every time i sit at the computer to play .... I boot up Rome 2 and say "ok, just a few turns". Next thing you know it's 4 hours later

Either way, tastes change with age. I can no longer play traditional RTS games like warhammer. That why I can't get into air land battle. It's too much like an RTs
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Bison

These days I just play a game until I cannot play it any more and move on.  Usually I'll go back to it in a few weeks.  The sad truth is my selection of games I enjoy is getting smaller as is my desire to continue to learn new systems.  Unfortunately this also means games that I used to play I don't like going back to either because I've forgotten so much of the mechanics and it's more like a freaky deja vu experience and I quit and play something else.  So there.

Sir Slash

Try playing a really shitty game for a while or a demo of a really shitty game and you won't be able to wait to get back to the "To Play" list. The one with the Chinese instructions could be a good start. Or any game with Unicorns-- except for Age of Wonders. Maybe spend a day talking with the good citizens of Skyrim about what is new in their worlds (Hint: Nothing-- Ever) Or try a really bad mod to one of your games. I remember one for the original Combat Mission that put dairy cows out in the fields. But no matter where moved the camera, they were always watching you. I still dream about that one at night sometimes. I couldn't wait to get me back to my old, boring version of the game.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Jarhead0331

You guys are over analyzing. I say Gus is just an ornery old bastard.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


TheCommandTent

Just don't burn yourself out on the one game you know you really enjoy or you won't have any fun if you can't settle on another game.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Ian C

#14
If it's PC games then you can't go wrong with these in my opinion. These are the only games so far not to be uninstalled at some point and they deliver each time.

Hearts Of Iron III + Semper Fi + For The Motherland + Their Finest Hour + Black Ice Mod, specifically the latest Black Ice (http://blackicemod.com/about) which is a complete historical overhaul of HOI 3 and the best WW2 grand strategy game I've played so far.

Fable, The Lost Chapters (http://store.steampowered.com/app/204030/)

Sid Meier's Pirates (http://store.steampowered.com/app/3920/)

Skyrim (http://store.steampowered.com/sub/28187/)

The Saboteur (On PC there's one caveat: the screen resolution must be set to one of the 1280 sizes because the in-game map of the city gets un-scaled if you don't. 1280x720 seems to be the best.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYQ8inPC0mw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvLErlSGpA8