Age of Wonders III and Warlock 2 Gameplay

Started by bbmike, March 14, 2014, 10:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bbmike

Just saw these game play videos were available!

Let's Play Age of Wonders III
Let's Play Warlock 2: The Exiled

Both look like must buys for me.  :)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak


JasonPratt

Cannot get enough breath to properly squee. Forgetting this thread exists so I can keep my buying to a minimum this year. Reminding myself I still haven't played five minutes on Warlock 1 (plus DLCs) yet.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mikeck

I don't even look until its released...just torturing myself
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Greybriar

Here's a new Age of Wonders III video featuring the Theocrat leader class:

Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

JasonPratt

NOT LOOKING NOT LOOKING NOT LOOKING NOT LOOKING NOT LOOKING NOT LOOKING NOTLOOKINGNOTLOOKINGNOTLOOKINGNOTLOOKINGNOTLOOKINGNOTLOOKINGNOTLOOKINGNOTLOOKINGNOTLOOKINGNOTLOOKINGNOTLOOKINGNOTLOOKINGNOTLOOKINGNOTLOOKINGNOTLOOKINGNOTLOOKINGNOTLOOKINGNOTLOOKING

{hastily clicking window closed}
{looking}
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

FarAway Sooner

I love these games, but the tactical battle trailers leave me somewhat uninspired.  The battle looks almost identical to Shadow Magic.  That worked well enough in its time, but all I see so far is an updated graphics overlay for a game play mechanism that's 10+ years old.

I'm excited about this title, and there's still lots to look forward to, but the tactical combat gives me very much a "been there, done that" feeling.

RedArgo

and didn't they lower the number of units per hex from SM?

tgb

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on March 16, 2014, 02:23:02 PM
I love these games, but the tactical battle trailers leave me somewhat uninspired.  The battle looks almost identical to Shadow Magic.  That worked well enough in its time, but all I see so far is an updated graphics overlay for a game play mechanism that's 10+ years old.

I'm excited about this title, and there's still lots to look forward to, but the tactical combat gives me very much a "been there, done that" feeling.

That's pretty much been my reaction to Warlock 2.  Other than some new avatars, updated graphics, and a campaign mode that seems to be ripped off from Eador, I'm not seeing anything new here.

I even reinstalled the original today to confirm my impression.

Nefaro

"If it's not broke, don't fix it."

?

The biggest complaint I heard about Shadow Magic was about the poor AI in the tactical battles, so perhaps that got fixed.

Pocus

Ao3 is down to 6 units per hex yes.

My biggest gripe against Warlord I were: no modding capability and dumb AI. I really hope that they did not go the easy way by just fancying further the already good looking graphics. They publish under Paradox, so hopefully modding & AI will be improved.

bbmike

Quote from: Pocus on March 17, 2014, 07:04:05 AM
My biggest gripe against Warlord I were: no modding capability and dumb AI. I really hope that they did not go the easy way by just fancying further the already good looking graphics. They publish under Paradox, so hopefully modding & AI will be improved.

I'll add lack of hotseat to that list.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak