Main Menu

DCS. Steam or non-Steam

Started by Asid, March 28, 2014, 10:18:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Asid

Hi

Is it better to install DCS world + modules in steam or not?

Any thoughts/opinions?

Regards
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

JasonPratt

I have no opinion on the question, so I can't help there; but if possible I recommend retitling your thread so people will know what you're actually asking. As it stands the title looks like someone just trying to discuss the merits of Steam vs other options.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

undercovergeek

.............and starting a big fight

Tuna

Didn't DCS start in STeam then leave? Is it back in STeam now?

Tuna

and DCS's Customer Service really sucks and their DRM is just as bad as BF's (BF's Customer Service is at least very quick).. so yes, I would prefer they be in Steam..

Asid

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 28, 2014, 11:23:46 AM
I recommend retitling your thread so people will know what you're actually asking. As it stands the title looks like someone just trying to discuss the merits of Steam vs other options.

Done :)

War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Asid

Quote from: Tuna on March 28, 2014, 12:17:26 PM
Didn't DCS start in STeam then leave? Is it back in STeam now?

Apparently you can install in either as the DCS key works in Steam.
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Nefaro

Quote from: Asid on March 28, 2014, 12:25:46 PM
Quote from: Tuna on March 28, 2014, 12:17:26 PM
Didn't DCS start in STeam then leave? Is it back in STeam now?

Apparently you can install in either as the DCS key works in Steam.

Does Steam host all their stuff now? 

And do you still have to use that terrible DRM?

Skoop

DCS is all about coop play to find it's true potential, you don't need steam for that.  I assume the keys work in both places, but I'd buy direct from them if it were me.  DCS on steam is just them trying to reach more customers.

Asid

#9
Quote from: Nefaro on March 28, 2014, 01:42:43 PM

Does Steam host all their stuff now? 

And do you still have to use that terrible DRM?

I think they host all the modules.

I also think the same DRM is applied (deactivate/activate x amount)

I'm sure someone who has more knowledge can confirm.

Edit:
From the ED site:

"Can I use my modules purchased from ED Store on Steam?

Yes except for the Black Shark 1 Upgrade and the Flaming Cliff 3 package. "
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Asid

Quote from: Skoop on March 28, 2014, 01:58:48 PM
DCS is all about coop play to find it's true potential, you don't need steam for that.  I assume the keys work in both places, but I'd buy direct from them if it were me.  DCS on steam is just them trying to reach more customers.

Yes the keys do work in both places.
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Yskonyn

I would vote against DCS in Steam.
I am a big fan of Steam and of DCS, but the two do not like eachother very well, or at least such was the case in the past.

The DRM is seperate from Steam as is their update manager, so you do not gain anything anyway other than the ability to have a Steam overlay in game. But this caused problems in game before.

I have a seperate DCS install.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Asid

Yskonyn Thanks for your input.

At this point a stand alone install of DCS does seem a better option.
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Toonces

Quote from: Yskonyn on March 29, 2014, 04:21:51 AM
I would vote against DCS in Steam.
I am a big fan of Steam and of DCS, but the two do not like eachother very well, or at least such was the case in the past.

The DRM is seperate from Steam as is their update manager, so you do not gain anything anyway other than the ability to have a Steam overlay in game. But this caused problems in game before.

I have a seperate DCS install.

^ This is my impression as well.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Nefaro

Quote from: Asid on March 29, 2014, 07:50:41 AM

At this point a stand alone install of DCS does seem a better option.

Yep.