CM Red Thunder page is up

Started by undercovergeek, January 30, 2014, 05:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: MengJiao on April 03, 2014, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on April 03, 2014, 10:55:12 AM
I saw that too. I'm not really sure what it means but it sounds like version 3.0 can play WEGO but not replay the turns. I wonder what the reason could be for the change? Or is it only a temporary glitch to get us to buy 3.1. I personally will skip this game if they take away the ability to rewind and replay the turns.

  As I understand it, WEGO PBEM is the same as it was.  WEGO TCP/IP will exist (whereas before it did not), but there will be no replay.

This is how I'm reading it. I was wondering if there was replay in the original WEGO TCP/IP games. Doesn't really matter, adding WEGO TCP in any form is a positive step forward, but trying to recall how this was handled in the original. Seems inevitable that the game will continue to get compared to the original trilogy. I noticed that on the same page, the announcement is made that "command lines are back", which I am definitely looking forward to. Though truth be told, I had gotten used to double clicking on the tokens, at least as far as moving them in the editor in order to find platoons and companies. More options=good.

RyanE

You had replays in TCP in the original.  The original treated TCP like PBEM in real time.

Steve has been consistent in saying the TCP reply is a non-starter due file size.  Maybe as connection speeds and storage costs are a lot better, it can be revisited.

Redirected

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on April 02, 2014, 02:43:22 PM
Bringing it back to the game......manual has been posted at BF.  That usually is a sign of pending release in the near future.

http://www.battlefront.com/

According to Moon...

QuoteBattlefront.com has just released the Combat Mission Red Thunder game manual as downloadable (and web-viewable) PDF!*

This supplemental game manual is one of two available both as PDF and in printed version (as long as stock is available) when you purchase the game. The supplemental manual covers all the new formations, units, weapons and tactics of the late war Soviet and German forces, and includes an in-depth tutorial. A second manual, not included in the web preview, covers all the new features of the v3.0 Game Engine Upgrade that is part of Combat Mission Red Thunder! Combat Mission Red Thunder is a tactical WW2 Eastern Front ground warfare simulation covering the ending stages of the war in Eastern Europe, and is due out very very soon.

* No knowledge of Russian language necessary. Manual is in English!

So, it is mostly an overview and a tutorial.  the supplemental will go over the new features and 3.0 stuff.  But really, this is a stand alone game and a new family.  If this is the first purchase for a customer (doubtful but possible), I don't think these two manuals really explain the game mechanics.  Something like the different 'morale' states is still not made clear.
You will notice I didn't respond to your post and have no interest in what you have to say. Especially on this subject.
....You have made 73 posts since you joined and 72 of them have been about combat mission. -ZULU1966

Sir Slash

I've watched the Red Thunder videos and have seen the demonstrator rewind the action to see what had just occurred. Or am I wrong about this? Maybe that's not the version 3.0 he's using or maybe you can only rewind part of the previously action. Would be nice if they posted a demo before release so we can tell.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: RyanE on April 03, 2014, 01:29:52 PM
You had replays in TCP in the original.  The original treated TCP like PBEM in real time.

Steve has been consistent in saying the TCP repl(a)y is a non-starter due file size.  Maybe as connection speeds and storage costs are a lot better, it can be revisited.

Thanks for the reply. Makes sense, the way you describe it.

Zonso

Quote from: Sir Slash on April 03, 2014, 01:34:15 PM
I've watched the Red Thunder videos and have seen the demonstrator rewind the action to see what had just occurred. Or am I wrong about this? Maybe that's not the version 3.0 he's using or maybe you can only rewind part of the previously action. Would be nice if they posted a demo before release so we can tell.

As mentioned by MengJiao, WeGo single player/pbem remains unchanged, ie full playback. What has changed is WeGo has been added to TCP/IP play albeit without playback.

I'm more and more interested in how the camera controls have been reworked. How it is now is pretty ingrained but am open to trying something different to see how it 'fits'. Nice to see a lot of familiar names in the credits and good for the series to see lots of new ones as well.

It seems the RT manual was most welcome as the natives were getting restless. I think we are pretty close to a release now...

SgtRock

Quote from: Zonso on April 03, 2014, 02:34:40 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on April 03, 2014, 01:34:15 PM
I've watched the Red Thunder videos and have seen the demonstrator rewind the action to see what had just occurred. Or am I wrong about this? Maybe that's not the version 3.0 he's using or maybe you can only rewind part of the previously action. Would be nice if they posted a demo before release so we can tell.

As mentioned by MengJiao, WeGo single player/pbem remains unchanged, ie full playback. What has changed is WeGo has been added to TCP/IP play albeit without playback.

I'm more and more interested in how the camera controls have been reworked. How it is now is pretty ingrained but am open to trying something different to see how it 'fits'. Nice to see a lot of familiar names in the credits and good for the series to see lots of new ones as well.

It seems the RT manual was most welcome as the natives were getting restless. I think we are pretty close to a release now...

Originally with CM2, didn't they say the playback files had become too large for on-line play? Can that still be true with 40- 100Mbps internet today?


RyanE

Didn't I say that 5-6 posts up?

Redirected

Quote from: Sir Slash on April 03, 2014, 01:34:15 PM
I've watched the Red Thunder videos and have seen the demonstrator rewind the action to see what had just occurred. Or am I wrong about this? Maybe that's not the version 3.0 he's using or maybe you can only rewind part of the previously action. Would be nice if they posted a demo before release so we can tell.

I think that ND guy mostly plays in turn-based mode vs. AI?  In any case, I stopped watching those since it didn't seem to be showcasing much.  Unless you like seeing a head in the screen.

But, yeah, it would be good to have these things previewed via video.    I hear that the menu pop-up has been changed.  No longer needing a spacebar hit but just a right click. 

I don't want to ever watch another guy show me himself playing the game.  The whole "Oooh OOOOooh Look!" commentary just spoils the whole "unwrapping" of a newly bought product at this point.
You will notice I didn't respond to your post and have no interest in what you have to say. Especially on this subject.
....You have made 73 posts since you joined and 72 of them have been about combat mission. -ZULU1966

Sir Slash

I kind of like watching the AI hand him his ass on occasion. I've been there soooo many times. Yes, of course the solo game remains unchanged. I should have realized that when I read the manual. I was just caught-up with the idea of the replay being eliminated. Back when the original CM demo came-out, the first time I played, at the end of a turn I'd lost a Sherman somehow and had to rewind the turn 3 times until I saw the panzerschrek team nail it from a nearby wood. I've been hooked on turn based ever since.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Zonso

Quote from: SgtRock on April 03, 2014, 02:42:37 PM

Originally with CM2, didn't they say the playback files had become too large for on-line play? Can that still be true with 40- 100Mbps internet today?

Probably, though technically I do not know what can be with large file sizes. And some of the bigger scenarios will have huge files when the action starts flying. Dropbox is your friend.

Great Ajax

Heads up!  Check your download link.  I am downloading now.

Trey

Sir Slash

I want to hear some Red Thunder opinions real soon. It's been a long time since I threw money at a game I didn't need just to feel like a Big Spender.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: Great Ajax on April 04, 2014, 09:45:14 AM
Heads up!  Check your download link.  I am downloading now.

Trey

No announcement in my email but I see the link is active. I'll give it a shot too.

Michael Dorosh

Up and running - still no email notice. In the editor looking at triggers now...