Imperium: Arena of Death Career Based Sim

Started by Grim.Reaper, January 18, 2014, 09:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Grim.Reaper

For those folks interested in career sims, seems like greydogsoftware who is usually known for their sports games (i.e. wrestling, college football, basketball, etc.) is coming out with some sort of gladiator career sim.  Not a lot of detail yet, but here is a link to a thread which is talking about the game and includes a couple screen shots.  Seems like this developer did some work for Matrix before, not sure what though.  I am always ready for a gladiator game, especially if it turns out to be well done...I love sport career sims so always willing to give this a try.  No idea how much text versus graphics this will end up containing.

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=526589

Announcement:

Grey Dog Software is pleased to announce the launch of a brand new title, "Imperium: Arena of Death". Designed and developed by Derek DiBenedetto, Imperium is a unique career-based sim that takes place in a world of bloody gladiator battles, kings and shadowy pacts where you guide a team of 3 gladiators on their quest for victory.

Use your influence to buy them advantages and your cash to spread the word about your warriors glory, send them on Soul Quests to build their skills, or train them in the disciplines of your choosing. Watch as they compete in ultra-detailed matches and even influence their aggressiveness before and during the match, use illicit means to give them a leg up, and deal with the effects of injuries and age.

Nefaro

I like the concept.  We'll see how it turns out.  Sounds like it won't be released for awhile yet.

DerekD

The game has now been released: http://www.greydogsoftware.com/imp
If anyone has any questions, i'm here to answer them (i'm the game's programmer/developer).

Ubercat

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

Quote from: DerekD on April 07, 2014, 07:56:56 PM
The game has now been released: http://www.greydogsoftware.com/imp
If anyone has any questions, i'm here to answer them (i'm the game's programmer/developer).

Welcome!  I hope our guys bug the crap out of you with questions :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


jomni

Wish there was a first or third person mode where you get to chop off some limbs like in Shadow of Rome.

tgb

I downloaded the demo, but all the text fields (name of gladiators, etc.) remain blank, even after putting my own names in.  This is with a GTX 650 TI superclocked and Win 8.

It does not inspire me to spend $25 on the full version.

Nefaro

I think there's a great need for a game like this.  However, I wasn't terribly impressed with the demo.  Not much depth to the gameplay IMO.  Would have to be pretty compelling to convince me to purchase due to E-License in the first place, but it just felt like I was checking some training boxes under a few stats and hitting "fight".  *shrug*

I'd like to see one where there is much more detail such as outfitting with weapons and equipment, different tiers of arenas, more fight interaction/orders, and all kinds of stuff.  More historical relevance would be great but not exactly necessary. 

I had hopes that it would be like a Qvadriga with some extra management depth but that's not the case.

DennisS

#10
.

DerekD

DennisS: Wow, how weird! I actually was looking for your post a week or so ago, hoping to find your email and apologize not only for anything I might have said, but Shrapnel's conduct as well (not condoned by me, anything they might have said to you; lawsuits isn't something that would be viable for someone not liking a game!) Honestly....I was looking for your 25 suggestion list for the upcoming patch, to see if I could get some ideas.

Imperium is basically a pretty heavily revised version of Coliseum, with a number of things changed and rebalanced to make up for the shortcomings of Coliseum, from warriors developing far too slowly, to gambling odds making more sense, to speeding up gameplay in general and totally revamping the "enchantments" and changing them to be more balanced along with totally redoing the graphics and interface.

Is there a way I could get your email from you, DennisS? Or you could email me at: indiegameguy@live.com and I could hear your ideas (if you choose to try the demo out) and implement some of them maybe? :)

Nefaro: I think there's a bit more to the game than just 'click a few boxes and fight' really, but yes, the game steered away from using specific weapons/armor and historical connections. Your idea of 'tiers' of arenas (sort of like minor leagues in baseball) is a good one that I plan to implement in the next patch, coming in a week or so. If you could, what other ideas would you have to make it more appealing to you?

DerekD

Quote from: tgb on April 08, 2014, 09:54:57 AM
I downloaded the demo, but all the text fields (name of gladiators, etc.) remain blank, even after putting my own names in.  This is with a GTX 650 TI superclocked and Win 8.

It does not inspire me to spend $25 on the full version.

You may want to reset your computer if you haven't since you installed it; it has fixed the issue for the only 2 other people who have had the issue. Not sure why it does that on rare occasions; it does install a few fonts to a user's system.

DennisS

Quote from: DerekD on April 08, 2014, 09:53:12 PM
DennisS: Wow, how weird! I actually was looking for your post a week or so ago, hoping to find your email and apologize not only for anything I might have said, but Shrapnel's conduct as well (not condoned by me, anything they might have said to you; lawsuits isn't something that would be viable for someone not liking a game!) Honestly....I was looking for your 25 suggestion list for the upcoming patch, to see if I could get some ideas.

Imperium is basically a pretty heavily revised version of Coliseum, with a number of things changed and rebalanced to make up for the shortcomings of Coliseum, from warriors developing far too slowly, to gambling odds making more sense, to speeding up gameplay in general and totally revamping the "enchantments" and changing them to be more balanced along with totally redoing the graphics and interface.

Is there a way I could get your email from you, DennisS? Or you could email me at: indiegameguy@live.com and I could hear your ideas (if you choose to try the demo out) and implement some of them maybe? :)

Nefaro: I think there's a bit more to the game than just 'click a few boxes and fight' really, but yes, the game steered away from using specific weapons/armor and historical connections. Your idea of 'tiers' of arenas (sort of like minor leagues in baseball) is a good one that I plan to implement in the next patch, coming in a week or so. If you could, what other ideas would you have to make it more appealing to you?

It's all good. I think it is best that my hazy recollections of the first version of this game just fade away.

Good luck with this game.

DennisS

Quote from: DerekD on April 08, 2014, 09:53:12 PM
DennisS: Wow, how weird! I actually was looking for your post a week or so ago, hoping to find your email and apologize not only for anything I might have said, but Shrapnel's conduct as well (not condoned by me, anything they might have said to you; lawsuits isn't something that would be viable for someone not liking a game!) Honestly....I was looking for your 25 suggestion list for the upcoming patch, to see if I could get some ideas.

Imperium is basically a pretty heavily revised version of Coliseum, with a number of things changed and rebalanced to make up for the shortcomings of Coliseum, from warriors developing far too slowly, to gambling odds making more sense, to speeding up gameplay in general and totally revamping the "enchantments" and changing them to be more balanced along with totally redoing the graphics and interface.

Is there a way I could get your email from you, DennisS? Or you could email me at: indiegameguy@live.com and I could hear your ideas (if you choose to try the demo out) and implement some of them maybe? :)

Nefaro: I think there's a bit more to the game than just 'click a few boxes and fight' really, but yes, the game steered away from using specific weapons/armor and historical connections. Your idea of 'tiers' of arenas (sort of like minor leagues in baseball) is a good one that I plan to implement in the next patch, coming in a week or so. If you could, what other ideas would you have to make it more appealing to you?

Here's the list, circa 2003:


Quote
I didn't much care for it, in its current incarnation. There is no excitement to it, no sense of anticipation. But, I hope it is a commercial success. Sincerely.

You want some suggestions? Constructive criticisms? Well, here they are.

1) Show a top down picture of the arena, and show movement. It can be as simple as A or B.
2) Have a more clearly defined initiative....indicate whose turn it is to attack next
3) Allow for specific decisions to be made by the fighter....how big of a swing...perhaps to target specific areas.
4) Allow specific training for specific weapon types.
5) Have a more fleshed-out role playing module...what is the benefit of gaining money, if you can't spend it?
6) Generate a background for the fighters...now, it is just a name with zip, zero, nada for emotional investment.
7) The text discussions are too wordy, and hard to follow....oh yeah, -6.
8) Consider NOT using specific numbers for attack results. This is dry as toast....use the descriptive terms...slight, moderate, severe, gash...etc.
9) Have more pauses in the actions. Now, its BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM .... over. Have the fighters catch their breath for a second....review the cumulative damage to that point.
10) Have the fighters trained to various levels in a number of weapons...and have an option for "random weapons" to be used in the fight...this will increase the strategy, and increase gameplay decisions.
11) I was a little confused with the healing/possible longterm damage effects of the combat. Clarify...and allow for possible permanent reductions to mobility, or strength.
12) Thumbs up or down....I didn't see this option. Randomly generated, based on fighter popularity and damage dealt out.
13) There IS fighter popularity, right? A crowd favorite SHOULD gain some benefit...morale, if nothing else. Motivation is a powerful factor in combat....refer to Roberto Duran...no mas, no mas.
14) Have different fighter classes, with the ability to fight up or down. I know this isn't boxing, but this would work well in this game.
15) Have a more elaborate ranking system. Yours was too simple, and confusing. This should be a PREMIER part of the game. There is a tremendous amount you could do with this.
16) Assign a single number, 1 to whatever, on the overall quality of the fighter. Tie this overall number to the results...50 vs. 50 should result in very even fights....80 vs. 20, 80 should win at a 4-1 ratio. You're pretty bright....you could come up with something better. This would also make it easier to rank the fighters.
17) There are a few hidden numbers, I assume potential. Consider un-hiding them, or providing some clue as to their utility and use.
18) In a terrific game, Title Bout (boxing), fighters had "Killer Instinct." If a poor fighter with high killer instinct gets in a good shot, then bloodlust may well allow him to attack, attack, attack. How else could a much worse fighter ever win?
19) I found that fights were too predictable. No answer to that one.
20) Why limit your stable to just 3 fighters? Why not have 20-2000? (not serious, but you get my drift)
21) Have the next fights auto-generated...you have only a limited choice to avoid fighting. If a man hasn't fought for awhile, then its time he did....you, as promoter, might have the opportunity only to replace him with a BETTER draw...not worse.
22) Within the fight card...perhaps 6 bouts, the rival stable places a fighter in a slot, then you do....alternate. There could be REAL opportunities for strategy...do you place a good fighter in an open slot, with no opponent drawn opposite? Do you place your fast, agile fighter vs. an opponent (already placed) who is big and slow?
23) Each fight should generate revenue for you. Period. This is the whole idea of the game...I did not see this in the demo. Make this a central theme in the game....MONEY MONEY MONEY.
24) It is the accrual of money that is the basis for upgrading your stable.
25) Free agents. Use the overall numerical rating to determine signing price. An Albert Pujols type, at age 24, would cost a TON of money...as he should.
26) Age becoming a factor in stamina...but an improvement in mentality, morale, intangibles.

I have a ton of other ideas....this is just a start.