Main Menu

The Last Federation

Started by RooksBailey, October 31, 2013, 03:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

RooksBailey

Arcen is returning to space!  Finally!  :)

Preview: Simulations In The Last Federation
Quote
A few weeks ago, we did our first sneak preview of our upcoming game The Last Federation.

The game is a mix of strategy and tactics set in a simulated solar system with 8 planets, each with its own unique race.  The strategy section and the combat (tactics) are two different styles of play, but both are realtime pause-able (and fast-forward-able for the experts).

Your mission is the formation of the first-and-last Solar Federation, to unite whatever races manage to survive the events of the game.  You play as a mercenary fleet plunked down in the middle of a situation that starts out very simply (think the start of a game of Civilization), and which escalates as each of the planets becomes spacefaring and undertakes other activities.

The pacing of a lot of the strategy portion is actually very much up to you, incidentally.  You can smuggle spacefaring technology to races early in exchange for influence with them... but this will anger other spacefaring races if you get caught.  You can hang back and watch a conquest happen and then make friends with the victor (or even help them during their attacks), or you can try to maintain peace throughout the solar system....

Can't wait to learn more!
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

son_of_montfort

These guys are seriously game making machines! This one sounds awesome!
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Nefaro

Sounds like Skyward Collapse.... in SPAAAACE!

I wasn't all that taken with Collapse's balancing strategy mechanics.  Perhaps this one will be different.

Jarhead0331

I'm yet to meet an Arcen game I actually like. Maybe this will be a first....
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


FarAway Sooner

Oh, Jarhead, you know if the title was Space Marines Save The Last Federation you'd have already pre-ordered it...

;)

Jarhead0331

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on November 01, 2013, 08:22:39 AM
Oh, Jarhead, you know if the title was Space Marines Save The Last Federation you'd have already pre-ordered it...

;)

True.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


RooksBailey

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 01, 2013, 04:59:13 AM
I'm yet to meet an Arcen game I actually like. Maybe this will be a first....

You didn't like AI War?   ??? 
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Jarhead0331

Quote from: RooksBailey on November 01, 2013, 09:03:48 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 01, 2013, 04:59:13 AM
I'm yet to meet an Arcen game I actually like. Maybe this will be a first....

You didn't like AI War?   ???

Not in the least. The units never felt like they were ships and I never felt like they were fighting in space. The gameplay just did not appeal to me no mater how hard I tried to like it. I just can't put my finger on what's wrong with these games.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


RooksBailey

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 02, 2013, 07:50:02 AM
Quote from: RooksBailey on November 01, 2013, 09:03:48 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 01, 2013, 04:59:13 AM
I'm yet to meet an Arcen game I actually like. Maybe this will be a first....

You didn't like AI War?   ???

Not in the least. The units never felt like they were ships and I never felt like they were fighting in space. The gameplay just did not appeal to me no mater how hard I tried to like it. I just can't put my finger on what's wrong with these games.

I can actually understand that.  I find AI War works best if you approach it like Harpoon - that is, pretend you are just looking at a plot on the bridge of your command station.  The thing I like best about AI War is that AI (of course).  Arcen has made a lot of devs who like to say "it is too hard to make good AI for a SP game!" look like fools.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

spelk


spelk

Launch Trailer - it looks better than I'd imagined.


JudgeDredd

I was very surprised I liked AI War. I looked at it several times and avoided it like the plague - too many units was my reason, but the gameplay I thought was pretty good.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

tgb

I've been following this all week, watching some Let's Play videos.  I'm really on the fence because it looks like it could get repititous pretty quickly.  I'm also not sure of the replay value, since there appears to be only one solar system.

Then again, the price at release is only going to be $15

Tpek

Quote from: spelk on April 16, 2014, 02:06:50 AM
Launch Trailer - it looks better than I'd imagined.



Launch Trailer??? is it out?

tgb