Steam Gaming Site Hit With Phishing Scam

Started by Darkspire, April 20, 2014, 11:31:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Darkspire

Found this earlier, a step up from the old email scams that were doing the rounds with Blizzard unfortunately. I do not use Steam but I know folks on here do, just hope no one is caught out.

QuoteA new phishing scam tries to trick gamers on the Steam online video game platform into divulging their passwords — and it does so by masquerading as Steam's own security measures and tricking users into disabling the Steam app's built-in protection.

Full Story From Yahoo

Darkspire
Trying to prove the existence of God with the Bible is the same thing as trying to prove the existence of Orcs using the Lord of the Rings books.


skeptical.platypus

Quote from: Darkspire on April 20, 2014, 11:31:43 AM
Found this earlier, a step up from the old email scams that were doing the rounds with Blizzard unfortunately. I do not use Steam but I know folks on here do, just hope no one is caught out.

QuoteA new phishing scam tries to trick gamers on the Steam online video game platform into divulging their passwords — and it does so by masquerading as Steam's own security measures and tricking users into disabling the Steam app's built-in protection.

Full Story From Yahoo

Darkspire

I hereby invoke Irony, under the auspices of the many here who have experienced Steam's actual logon masquerading as a security service.
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

bbmike

Thanks for the head's up, Darkspire. My question is why is Steam not telling me this? When I go to their home page all I see are adds for 'early access' games.  ???  I would think this news should be the first thing I see.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Darkspire

I tend to look at Steam as a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma. I have no idea what the login process is like, I really like the idea of Steam just not how it is implemented. The emails that were doing the rounds that were causing Blizzard problems really did look legit, only way to tell with things like that is to check the links, copy them and paste them into a .txt file and see where they lead, unless you have your settings on the browser to show the link dialog on mouse over.

These sorts of things are to expected in this day and age, the word needs to get around as fast as possible when it does and that generally sorts things out as folk are aware that there may be problems.

Darkspire
Trying to prove the existence of God with the Bible is the same thing as trying to prove the existence of Orcs using the Lord of the Rings books.


Grim.Reaper

Quote from: bbmike on April 20, 2014, 04:21:31 PM
Thanks for the head's up, Darkspire. My question is why is Steam not telling me this? When I go to their home page all I see are adds for 'early access' games.  ???  I would think this news should be the first thing I see.

I guess to be fair a lot of phishing schemes happen for a lot of the online organizations, especially banks.  These happen all the time and regular occurrences.  Nobody usually posts anything about them since so common.  Instead the companies regularly provide advice to customers about security such as telling customers they won't ever request sensitive info or user ids/passwords via email.  And many companies won't include links in emails for that reason too.

People still get fooled by it but only so much the companies can do...this is sadly the norm nowadays.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: bbmike on April 20, 2014, 04:21:31 PM
Thanks for the head's up, Darkspire. My question is why is Steam not telling me this? When I go to their home page all I see are adds for 'early access' games.  ???  I would think this news should be the first thing I see.
They should be more active than even that. They've got everyone's details - why not be pro-active and send everyone an email!

You know why? Because it's "bad business" to say something is up.  >:(
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

skeptical.platypus

If any company starts spamming me every time some idjit on the internet tries to scam someone somewhere using their name, they'll lose my business faster than anyone can say "nanny spam."

-- Although I am upset that Nigeria hasn't been sending me a lot of warnings about their loose financial policies when it comes to Princely Inheritance. A lot of those seemed really legit.

My spambox has 17 obvious phishing attempts out of the 50 most current. I think if someone is frequenting the internet sufficiently to want steam, if they require a warning that "attempts to obtain personal or account information may be fraudulent," a more fundamental and frequent warning would be better. Something along the lines of "think."

Hey, I think I just invented the next great internet service. Subscribe to my site and relieve your mental load. Not sure which direction you should look before crossing the street? My site'll send you a warning. Can't remember to wipe? Get a "think" email. Not sure if Penthouse Letters are real? Ha! -- trick question. Of course they're real. I'll never forget that time a gaggle of bicurious and slightly inebriated Sigma Lambda Umlaut Theta sorority girls delivered my pizza in lingerie. . .
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

mikeck

On a similar note. I'm on vacation and received an email that someone ned Xue something or another in Taiwan tried accessing my account. I'm order to trigger that email, they would have had to have been able to get into the account (meaning they have my password) steam security spotted the odd access and sent me an email saying to confirm if it was me.

Since I can't get to a computer with Steam installed to change my password, I had to place a hold on my card.

VERY ANNOYING that people insist on stealing other people crap. f you Xue!!!
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

jomni

#8
<deleted>