So, what Matrix games would sell well on Steam?

Started by JasonPratt, May 01, 2014, 11:28:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JasonPratt

Now that Matrix is starting to release games on Steam (Panzer Corps, Pandora), what Matrix games do we think would work well on Steam?

Personally, considering how well Paradox Clausewitz games do, I'd think just about anything up to and including WitE and WitP:AE would do well. But for their next attempt, perhaps Great Battles: Medieval (since they converted that to tablet gaming recently) and its related predecessors back to Legion and Chariots of War? GB:M is a fairly simple but colorful strategy game with an equally simple yet RPG-ish strategy overlay.


Note: already released Matrixlitherine games ;)  also include Battle Academy (a wise choice imo);

and Pride of Nations with its DLC updates, which is by far the most ambitious and technically wonky Ageod game, even including pseudo-AGE games like WW1Gold, so if that's on there any AGE game would seem more feasible.

Edited to add: the Unity of Command series which didn't show up when I clicked the Slitherine category link for some reason.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

tgb

Distant Worlds, along with the various expansions, etc.

Steelgrave


Martok

Quote from: Steelgrave on May 01, 2014, 11:58:45 AM
Quote from: tgb on May 01, 2014, 11:46:04 AM
Distant Worlds, along with the various expansions, etc.

+1
+100 

There's been periodic clamoring on the Matrix forums over the last 3+ years for the game to be put on Steam.  I'm thinking it'll happen sometime after the sequel is released (so in another 2-3 years, perhaps).  ::) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

RooksBailey

Quote from: Martok on May 01, 2014, 12:44:59 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on May 01, 2014, 11:58:45 AM
Quote from: tgb on May 01, 2014, 11:46:04 AM
Distant Worlds, along with the various expansions, etc.

+1
+100 

There's been periodic clamoring on the Matrix forums over the last 3+ years for the game to be put on Steam.  I'm thinking it'll happen sometime after the sequel is released (so in another 2-3 years, perhaps).  ::)

+1000  :D  As soon as I saw the topic, this was the first game to pop into my head.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Capn Darwin

Apart from the Civ/Sci/RTS click-fest type games and the beer and pretzel wargames (PanzerCorp/Battle Academy), I wonder if a full blown wargame would sell on Steam. Would that crowd have enough Grogs in it to sell a good number of Command/Harpoon/WITP/etc class games? I'd love to see sales figures from those various areas.  8)
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Herman Hum

#6
I think FPC would stand a decent chance of success on Steam.  It's easy to learn (16 pg. manual) and folks can quickly jump into the game.  The minimal graphics hurt the game, but the gameplay is key.  The mouse-over tool tips help a great deal, too.

The other wargames mentioned have no chance on Steam, IMHO.  Their interfaces are too clunky to allow for ease of play.  Folks would need to spend days figuring out what each function does and reading the manuals.  There are few, if any, helpful mouse-over tips.  The only way to learn the game is to slog through it.  It's not like they cannot be successful.  They would need an incredible amount of work to make their UIs intuitive and helpful, first.  (May as well make a new game.)  Grigsby games have all been clickfests for minutiae.
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions

TacticalWargames

Distant Worlds and Qvadriga. More risky Flashpoint Campaigns. Best way for them to test if a more groglike wargame would sell is try and get a older game on there very cheap. Say one of the Battles in "...." games for $10..see how well it does.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 01, 2014, 11:28:03 AM
Now that Matrix is starting to release games on Steam (Panzer Corps, Pandora), what Matrix games do we think would work well on Steam?

one thats costs less then $45.   ::)
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.



GDS_Starfury

pleeeeeeease..........  just drive a stake through it's heart and be done with it!

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Nefaro

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on May 01, 2014, 10:38:45 PM
pleeeeeeease..........  just drive a stake through it's heart and be done with it!

LOL!

eyebiter

.
#12
.

JasonPratt

1.) Overprice -- I guarantee anyone picking up the Panzer Corps series or the Distant Worlds series or even the Battle Academy series at Matrix will end up paying as much or more than for WitE or WitP. And two of those are already on Steam, where there are occasional sales with deeper discounts than at Matrix.

Still...

2.) Interface/UI -- ...tis true that the super-groggy games have wonky interfaces and that this would be a problem for a high-retail game in a mass market. Then again, while the Clausewitz engines have had some major overhauls in polish recently they can hardly be said to be simple interface games. CK2 and EU4 have both been reasonably massive hits, and my impression is that Vicky2 and HOI3 (with their expansions) aren't far behind. Not even counting any sales for Clausewitz games prior to Vicky2/HOI3.

3.) Holy bleep yes Distant Worlds, why didn't I think of that immediately?! That kind of 4x game seems successful in many iterations already on Steam, and DW is arguably the king. Also yes, Qvadriga I agree makes sense.

4.) I see your DW and raise you SCOURGE OF FREAKING WAR. Cinematic, deep gameplay, a ton of expansions and mod support.

5.) If PCorps does well (and it should), I can think of no less than three other Matrix/Slither properties which also ought to run well. Including their series with the most expansions so far...
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

RooksBailey

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 02, 2014, 12:23:10 PM
4.) I see your DW and raise you SCOURGE OF FREAKING WAR. Cinematic, deep gameplay, a ton of expansions and mod support.

Yes, also a great suggestion!  I think that game would also sell quite well on Steam.  Easy to play with lots of sandbox goodness!
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway