CM Red Thunder page is up

Started by undercovergeek, January 30, 2014, 05:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Rayfer

Thanks JC...I finally sorted out the login issue (was using the wrong user name) and made the purchase last night. Got it downloaded and look forward to starting the tutorial campaign today and going through some of those AAR's as well.

Con

A fun quick but not easy scenario is Red Hordes

I have played it about three times with only marginal victories for the Axis.  You get a sense of the desperation that the Germans had when facing Ivan

Con

Rayfer

JC....read your blog AAR, well done! Nice touch pointing out the kill shots on your unfortunate armor. I don't feel so bad now, my first QB ended with a similar result only I was the attacking Russians....a tactical defeat.  Dug-in German infantry with PF's are deadly to Russian armored cars, they took out 5 of 8. The QB feature in this game is outstanding.

jomni

Quote from: Rayfer on April 30, 2014, 07:06:25 PM
JC....read your blog AAR, well done! Nice touch pointing out the kill shots on your unfortunate armor. I don't feel so bad now, my first QB ended with a similar result only I was the attacking Russians....a tactical defeat.  Dug-in German infantry with PF's are deadly to Russian armored cars, they took out 5 of 8. The QB feature in this game is outstanding.

You mean (singleplayer) QB is finally not broken anymore?

Zonso

For those that don't frequent the BFC forums, here are a couple nice videos showcasing Red Thunder in its glory. Both guys did a really good job with these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Po77kzyX7g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPYFHpejve0

Rayfer

Quote from: jomni on May 01, 2014, 08:57:37 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on April 30, 2014, 07:06:25 PM
JC....read your blog AAR, well done! Nice touch pointing out the kill shots on your unfortunate armor. I don't feel so bad now, my first QB ended with a similar result only I was the attacking Russians....a tactical defeat.  Dug-in German infantry with PF's are deadly to Russian armored cars, they took out 5 of 8. The QB feature in this game is outstanding.

You mean (singleplayer) QB is finally not broken anymore?

Yes, single player QB. I hadn't played any CM games since the original, first two all those many years ago so I can't relate to or comment on the broken QB issue. The 4 single player QB's I've played have been fun, easy to set up and very challenging. 

Con

So anyone tried the other camera modes and what do you think

I have played around with them and honestly I think Standard is still the easiest in WEGO to assess terrain and firing spots.  Sort of like FPS for cinematices but not as good for tactics.  RTS just sucked in my opinion

So I am keeping my camera viewpoint set standard
Con

Dolan50

I haven't played  CM since the Normandy game(about 2012) but in the Graviteam tactics game I find the camera to be more free style.

you can choose a unit and hit the camera icon or Q(You can change this to whatever you desire) and it will automatically lock on the leader of that squad.

Or hit Q again(To unlock) or move your cursor to the edge of screen for free style mode where you can use the mouse or key board commands to run the camera however you like.(WASD or arrows, and scroll wheel for zoom)
Think WoT.

The options settings give you some very good choices, depending on what makes it more comfortable for you.

I know this info isn't spelled out in the limited Engrish manual, but the options are still there regardless as long as you are willing to look for them or ask if this is possible.

I had to learn this by myself thru trial and error.
but the fact that you can do this is very satisfying.
A Corporate Executive,a Democrat and a Republican walk into a room.The CEO walks in first and notices 10 cookies on a plate and pockets 9 of them,then turns to the Republican and whispers in his ear  and says "The Democrat is trying to steal your cookie".

Nefaro

Quote from: z1812 on April 29, 2014, 09:37:56 AM
Quick Battles are quite a lot of fun if you don't leave the choices to the game. Choose the map and both forces yourself.

Arranged this way the QB's play out very well and are quite entertaining.

Lately I have been arranging very small scenarios with a handful of units on small maps. The tactical situations that arise can be quite challenging.

I thought the AI was also supposed to be rather wonky in CMx2 QBs?  Since the canned scenarios need their AI objectives programmed, doesn't the QBs just have some generic AI plan where they just rush straight at you? 


Rayfer

Quote from: Con on May 03, 2014, 09:04:44 PM
So anyone tried the other camera modes and what do you think

I have played around with them and honestly I think Standard is still the easiest in WEGO to assess terrain and firing spots.  Sort of like FPS for cinematices but not as good for tactics.  RTS just sucked in my opinion

So I am keeping my camera viewpoint set standard
Con

Agree 100%....standard works just fine for me, I have need for the others. Another question and one I suspect has been covered before, WEGO or Continuous pause-able real time?  After about 10 QB's I like Continuous better.

Rayfer

Quote from: Nefaro on May 03, 2014, 11:23:10 PM
Quote from: z1812 on April 29, 2014, 09:37:56 AM
Quick Battles are quite a lot of fun if you don't leave the choices to the game. Choose the map and both forces yourself.

Arranged this way the QB's play out very well and are quite entertaining.

Lately I have been arranging very small scenarios with a handful of units on small maps. The tactical situations that arise can be quite challenging.

I thought the AI was also supposed to be rather wonky in CMx2 QBs?  Since the canned scenarios need their AI objectives programmed, doesn't the QBs just have some generic AI plan where they just rush straight at you?

I am one of those tactically challenged gamers who finds all AI's tough. In CM:RT, in QB's, I have had the AI dump timely artillery barrages on me, use smoke to screen an assault and send units around through woods to flank an anti-tank gun. I have read that others find the AI less than stellar but for me it is a challenge. It is better on defense than attack though.

Yskonyn

I also prefer the standard camera controls, but only in WeGo. In RT mode I prefer the FPS camera.

As for game mode; I prefer WeGo. I like to be able to rerun the action as many times as I want.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: Nefaro on May 03, 2014, 11:23:10 PM
Quote from: z1812 on April 29, 2014, 09:37:56 AM
Quick Battles are quite a lot of fun if you don't leave the choices to the game. Choose the map and both forces yourself.

Arranged this way the QB's play out very well and are quite entertaining.

Lately I have been arranging very small scenarios with a handful of units on small maps. The tactical situations that arise can be quite challenging.

I thought the AI was also supposed to be rather wonky in CMx2 QBs?  Since the canned scenarios need their AI objectives programmed, doesn't the QBs just have some generic AI plan where they just rush straight at you?

Some have multiple AI plans, i.e. they rush straight at you but from different directions and at different times.  ;) 


Elvis

Quote from: Michael Dorosh on May 04, 2014, 10:32:43 AM


Some have multiple AI plans, i.e. they rush straight at you but from different directions and at different times.  ;)

As Rayfer pints out....that isn't true. Although I user made maps may see more of that.



Quote from: Rayfer on May 04, 2014, 07:03:16 AM

I am one of those tactically challenged gamers who finds all AI's tough. In CM:RT, in QB's, I have had the AI dump timely artillery barrages on me, use smoke to screen an assault and send units around through woods to flank an anti-tank gun. I have read that others find the AI less than stellar but for me it is a challenge. It is better on defense than attack though.

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: Elvis on May 04, 2014, 11:02:07 AM
Quote from: Michael Dorosh on May 04, 2014, 10:32:43 AM


Some have multiple AI plans, i.e. they rush straight at you but from different directions and at different times.  ;)

As Rayfer pints out....that isn't true.

You should actually open up some of the QB maps in the editor sometime. If you knew how they worked, you might be inclined to change your answer.